Rhodiola helps to increase energy

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
SB

Rhodiola helps to increase energy

Post by SB »

Hello,
I am new to this board, but thought I would let everyone know about something that helps me tremendously. I was diagnosed with RRMS in June 2000 and have been on Avonex for 5 years and Rebif for the last year.

One of my MS symptoms was decreased energy, and I read an article in Newsweek about Rhodiola Rosea to help improve your energy levels.
If you want to see the article, google Newseek and rhodiola.

It is amazing. I have tried a few different brands to see which works best for me. Some definitely work better than others. One brand that I have used is Nature Made, I took 2 capsules each morning; a brand that I am using now is New Chapter "Rhodiola Force 300", I take one capsule of this brand ( I get it at Whole Foods). I have tried the "Rhodiola Force 100" but found it was not strong enough for me.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along this little tip for all of you. I hope it helps.

Stephanie
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Post by scoobyjude »

Thanks for sharing. I'm a vitamin and supplement junkie always looking for new ones that help symptoms.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Rhodiola helps to increase energy

Post by CureOrBust »

I just came across the following page, which makes me wonder why I am NOT taking this stuff.
Rhodiola rosea is a herb in the rhodiola genera (Crassulaceae family) which has traditional usage as an anti-fatigue agent and Adaptogen compound, and rhodiola is likely the second most popular adaptogen (second only to Panax ginseng).

In regards to fatigue, rhodiola appears to be able to significantly reduce the effects of prolonged and minor physical exhaustion that results in fatigue. This is more related to stress and the 'burnout' effect, or prolonged but low intensity physical exercise. There is some limited evidence that parameters of physical exercise can be improved with rhodiola, but this appears to be limited to untrained persons with numerous studies on trained athletes suggesting that rhodiola does not have an acute ergogenic effect. Despite this, rhodiola appears to be highly reliable in reducing fatigue symptoms and improving symptoms of stress (and secondary to that, well-being) in persons fatigued from non-exercise related stressors.

Rhodiola can improve cognitive functioning in persons who experience a reduction in fatigue, but there is insufficient evidence to support an outright increase in cognition (which should occur in non-fatigued persons) and not enough studies have assessed cognitive decline for conclusions to be made.

Other potential uses of rhodiola include preliminary evidence that it is highly neuroprotective against toxins (requires more evidence) and that ingestion of rhodiola or its active component can reduce stress-induced binge eating in female rats. In the brain, rhodiola appears to be highly serotonergic (increases serotonin) and reduces corticosteroids; the inhibition of monoamine oxidases (MAOs) commonly attributed to rhodiola may not be relevant following oral ingestion of rhodiola, however.

Rhodiola may also promote longevity, with preliminary (non-mammalian) evidence suggesting up to a 20% increase in lifespan secondary to mechanisms that are indepedent of caloric restriction. Although very promising, mammalian evidence is needed to confirm.
The link is pretty detailed, with study references where it can. (its a great site to check on stuff)
https://examine.com/supplements/Rhodiola+Rosea/