What's your experience with cooling vests, etc.?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
art
Family Elder

What's your experience with cooling vests, etc.?

Post by art »

My heat intolerance is increasing and starting to become a problem if I need to go outside on hot days for any length of time. Someone just asked me what I knew about cooling vests and other cooling products, and I have to admit I know very little. I don't even know anyone who uses any (well, I might know them, but I don't know that they use them :-) )

So, for their sake (and mine), I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a good or bad experience with particular cooling products (brand name/models appreciated if known).

Thanks!
Art Mellor Dx 2000
You can see what we have to offer at
http://www.acceleratedcure.org/offerings/
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Experience with cooling vests

Post by NHE »

Hi Art,
There were a couple of people who posted about their experience with cooling vests in this thread. http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-4262.html

NHE
mormiles
Family Elder

Cooling vest

Post by mormiles »

From last summer, here is a an exchange on this subject from CPn Help.org that may help (CPn Help/life_on_a_good_day)

From Cypriane (me):

"Willow, It's wonderful that you are feeling well enough to type more and plan your lapidary projects. Now, about the heat...go to http://msolutions.org as a good source for cooling vests. Spotty couldn't work at his job (their A/C doesn't keep up well enough) or go anywhere in the summer if he didn't have his to rely on. If you can swing it, I would also order extra cooling packs. He uses the Phase Change type, but the Kool Max looks like a good alternative and costs less. I'm not exaggerating---this makes a huge difference in our lives. Last night when we left work the temp was 107, but thank goodness it had cooled down to 106 by the time we got home! Even though we have A/C in the car, just the going out and coming in for any trip during the summer here is enough to cause heat-related MS problems. It's like walking through a convection oven every time we go outside after about 9 a.m. Also, the humidity here is much higher than out west in the dryer regions...that makes it alot worse. Please do this for yourself as soon as possible. A funny note on this...Spotty's vest is blue, and every time we go shopping the store's customers think he works there and ask him all sorts of questions and to do all sorts of things.

Cypriane~~~MS caregiver and advocate - Dallas"

followed by something even better from Wiggy:

"Willow and Cypriane,

I have a cooling vest I can not live without and I got it here http://www.msaa.com/programs/cooling.html

for free. I have to return it when I recover - they give them out to people that need them. Its very nice. They also sent me neck, arm, feet coolers but I only really use vest as it takes me so long to get all of it on and I look like I am going on a space mission. I hope I remember to send it back when I recover as I had to ask my husband "who sent me that vest" as I could not remember.

Everyone with MS should get one if they have problems with heat - I went to beach with mine on and I lasted 2 hours."

Best wishes and stay cool, Joyce
Cagso
Getting to Know You...

Post by Cagso »

Art,

I have had a cooling vest for several years. In fact, the company that made mine is no longer in business. I find it somewhat helpful, better than nothing. The type I have has pockets in which you insert frozen gel packs.

Be aware that vests that use evaporative cooling are not good for humid climates. Here are some websites for cooling products that you can check out. Good luck and stay cool!

www.silvereagleoutfitters.com

www.steelevest.com

www.coolsport.net

www.bodycooler.com

www.polar-products.com

www.mistymate.com

www.coolbandcity.com
agate
Family Member

Post by agate »

I've had a cooling vest for a couple of years now. I got it at no cost through the MS Association of America, as someone else mentioned in this thread.

Mine is the Steele cooling vest, and it comes with a detachable collar. It works very well, though the weight of it does tend to be a problem.

You can make it lighter, of course, by just removing some of the frozen gel packs.

I also have a cooling seating cushion that I got through the MSAA. I like it very much.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I find the little cold pack things that come in my copxone delivery make great coolers just by re-freezing them and taking them with me and sticking them in whatever pocket or body location I can. Sometimes they are tucked into my waistband or just behind my back as I drive. Just something cold to cool me off. I also am a big believer in the slurpee :wink: I will make one at home from gatorade powder and ice or even fruit and ice. I read in an NMSS bulletin once that one need only lower ones temperature a degree to get a benefit in terms of nerve funciton. The cold drink makes a real difference. 4aminopyradine helps too...
marie
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

mrhodes40 wrote:I read in an NMSS bulletin once that one need only lower ones temperature a degree to get a benefit in terms of nerve function.
I have recently been wondered about this. I am not heat sensitive, and I have a body temperature which is about 0.7 to 0.8 degrees Celsius below normal. Is it a case that the people who are heat insensitive, start from a lower body temp?

Body temp is stated as being normal at about 37C(98.6F). I have checked after heavy exercise and only then (and when I have a flu/fever) do I get to 37C. Normally I am at about 36.2C(97.165F) to 36.3C(97.34F). ie 1.4F below normal.
art
Family Elder

Post by art »

That's strange - I'm always below normal too. And when I get sick, my temp almost always goes *down*
Art Mellor Dx 2000
You can see what we have to offer at
http://www.acceleratedcure.org/offerings/
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

My normal temp is 96.0'. I see a lot written by MS'ers stating that they have low body temps.

Maybe there is a clue here. It could also explain why we are more heat sensitive than normals.

gwa