Any thoughts on diets and MS?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
GeoGuy
Family Elder

Any thoughts on diets and MS?

Post by GeoGuy »

Hi gang,

I'm wondering what the take on affecting MS by modifying your diet is?

My sister, who is big on natural cures and such, gave me a copy of a book (Healing Multiple Sclerosis) by Ann Boroch that claims MS is caused by overgrowth of Candida albicans in the gut. She also claims that by modifing your diet to reduce its presence, you can actually "cure" your MS.

I'm skeptical at best. Anyone seen any research or have any first hand experience with this or any other MS diets?
RRMS since 01/07.
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

There is a whole community of people with MS who believe diet can help with MS. I am one of them. I have not read the book by Ann Boroch, but I have read a great deal of information about diets and their effect on MS. I would recommend you start at a web site I really like "Direct-MS". which will lead you to the Best Bet Diet information. I myself have been on the Best Bet Diet for two years now and am doing very well.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

Hello Jack,
This is one of those questions which I believe doesn't have a definitive answer: only opinion, and you'll finds thousands of those opinions across the Internet and on this forum. Some of them claim to be miraculous cures and provide evidence and case histories of people who could barely move before the diet, and can run a mile after it, but it is my opinion that if one single diet could provide the answer to MS, it would have been common knowledge by now. They vary from cutting out fat or dairy or gluten through to vegetarianism, Veganism, and macrobiotic food. Among others, the Swank and Best Bet diets are very popular
Having said that, there is no doubt that some dietary substances and supplements are vital to maintain body function and may be deficient in some people, so improving your diet or taking supplements can be very beneficial and may improve your symptoms. I think it may be possible that, if you are intolerant to something like gluten and it makes you ill, then it may make your general health and MS symptoms appear worse. Cutting it out might make your symptoms reduce, and therefore appear very like a " cure".
As for candidiasis, well that crops up every now and then and I think there might be something in it for some people – conditions in the gut are crucial for health and problems there can have consequences all around the body – but definitive links have yet to be proved. Beatms is your man for that, (I think), but I'm afraid his style is a bit too evangelical for my personal tastes.
I would say that if you find a diet you like, you're convinced by the evidence, and you feel it's doing you some good then go for it and let us know how you get on,
Dom
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Geoguy...

(Are you a Geo-cacher, by chance? One of my best friends is in the top 5 nationwide; I go hiking with her sometimes. If not, disregard :))

My husband, dx last March, has read the Boroch book. So have I. I agree with Dom, I'm not so sure about Boroch's "cure-all." I believe, like many on this site, that MS is a "fingerprint" disease, and everyone has different contributing factors which have lead to the breech of the blood-brain barrier- toxins, viruses, bacteria, and genetic predispositions. MS does not appear to be a one-size-hits all disease.

That said, we do agree with Boroch's suggestions on detoxification and replenishment of good bacteria and nutrition using probiotics and supplements. Her book is an excellent place to start. It certainly won't hurt you to follow her suggestions.

My husband has eliminated dairy, red meat and gluten from his diet. He takes almost all of the nutritional supplements Boroch mentions. He is following the advice of his neurologist, and is on Copaxone. He's feeling better this month, more stable, less fatigued and less spasms (thank God). We're not sure what to attribute this to, but whatever it is...his program is "working" for him. We are treating his MS with a holistic and "western" approach.

You will have to experiment and find what works for you. Research the supplements Boroch suggests. If candida is a problem for you, try removing glutens, sugar and white foods from your diet. Drink the red clover tea. Find out what makes you feel better..this is your journey.
As I'm sure you're learning, well-meaning friends and family will now bombard you with books, Dr. references and stories of "how so and so healed themselves, blah, blah, blah..." It's because they care about you, and are trying to help. But make sure that they understand...this is your body and your journey. Everyone's MS tale is unique. Good luck in your quest!

best,
the aging cheerleader
conandcait
Family Member

Post by conandcait »

Hi there-for what it's worth, Before my diagnosis in 1996, I went to my gp with stomach issues-Told I have IBS. Recommendation was for me to cut out all high fructose corn syrup ...Do you know how much I love cherry coke? Everything has HFCS in it- Everything!!!!! Anyway, I felt AWESOME!! But of course, It didn't last!! Kelli
GeoGuy
Family Elder

Post by GeoGuy »

Thanks for your thoughts. It's really great to have a place to ask these kinds of questions without having to wait for next months support group meeting.

I will definately check the Direct-MS website and look into the Best Bet Diet. I like to cook and could use a few new recipies.

I did read through Boroch's book and took the Candida health questionnaire included in it. I scored 85, which ranks as a "possible". That's what I love about MS, everything is so definative! I really don't think Candida is an issue for me.

I agree the best thing to do is find a style of eating that works for you and go with it.

Thanks again for the feedback.
RRMS since 01/07.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Except for drugs and smoking, diet is no. 1 on the hit list of things that directly affect your health. I really ate high fiber, low fat for about 3 years, but with my working and my wife going to school full time (and my lack of knowledge of anything other than burning flesh on the grill), we eat out a lot here lately. I mean I used to eat a really healthy, fresh diet. No fake anything that's within reason. Now I can totally feel the difference. I've been doing bad, but it's not that kind of feeling. It's like I know what I'm feeling is due to not eating right and it just makes me feel worse than I already do. I keep telling myself I'm going to really try and eat like I used to but it takes effort. And that's where the MS comes in. I'm at the stage where work is about all the effort I can muster in 24 hours. After that, I start getting srewed up for a day or two.

If you have the energy and can cook, eat high fiber, low fat. You will feel better. My wife will be done with school in short order, and I will eat ssoooo much better than when I'm in charge of the food. I used to get produce almost daily, it's just too much effort for me right now. I don't think it can cure your MS, but over a good period of time, you definitely feel better.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Any thoughts on diets and MS?

Post by CureOrBust »

GeoGuy wrote:... Ann Boroch that claims MS is caused by overgrowth of Candida albicans in the gut. ....
There is more than one medical way to clear candida. I have tried two that I know of, and It didn't affect my MS. Additionally, I have had a blood test which also showed no candida issues. Although I do believe some foods can make your MS worse, I personally don't think its the cure-all for everyone.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Any thoughts on diets and MS?

Post by NHE »

GeoGuy,
If you haven't already, you might be interested in reading "Taking control of multiple sclerosis: natural and medical therapies to prevent its progression" by Dr. George Jelinek. My reason for reading it is that he's a doctor who was diagnosed with MS and chose to do his own research in the published literature. The book is a result of that research which highlights the changes he's made, many of them dietary, which he finds helpful in treating his MS.

For myself, I've cut out trans fats, i.e., anything partially hydrogenated, since they are proinflammatory. I've also eliminated drinking soda since it's typically worthless nutritionally (I also avoid any sweetened drinks). I also eat some ground flax seed every day and mix it with a bit of yogurt since it makes it easier on my stomach. In addition, I haven't eaten fast food for over 22 years since it makes my body feel like it's under duress. Since I don't like fish I take about 5 g/day of fish oil supplements along with some other supplements. In general, I try to eat healthy getting some veggies and fruit every day.

NHE
Last edited by NHE on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

I tried the best bet diet for 9 months or so and lost a lot of weight. This was not a good idea I've always eaten pretty healthily but that diet involves cutting out a lot of fairly vital calories. furthermore my MS deteriorated significantly during this time so I don't set much store in vitamins or diets.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

I have a degree in human nutrition and I also am a chef by training. I believe that as stated by others a low fat, whole grain diet that includes fresh fruits and veggies daily is the real baseline diet for general health. It is only abit more effort to cook in that manner.

I am also intersted in some of these specialty diets for us MS'rs. However, I have seen that many of the diets leave out or make it very difficult to get key dietary components.

I can say from experience that the 6 pack and shot of tequila diet did not work that well for me. It was worth a try though :wink:

Good luck and let us know how you do.
GeoGuy
Family Elder

Post by GeoGuy »

Thanks for the comments. I think the best thing is to eat a diet of lean protein like cold water fish and lots of veggies, whole grains, fruits and nuts. Not because that's a special MS diet, (I don't think there is such a thing), but because it 's a healthy diet for the rest of the body.
RRMS since 01/07.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i think people really need to be personalized with this kind of thing.

my naturopath would say that candida is opportunistic when you have a crappy immune system, not that it causes nervous system damage. i don't claim to know about other people, but i think i have a candida problem to some degree - whether it's the chicken or the egg who knows.

with diets, again, not a one size fits all solution. personally, i had been on such a restrictive diet for so long, that i'm sure it was a major part of my health problems in the first place.

it was on record before i was dxd that my iron and b12 were deficient. in fact they could not even tell what my b12 was at one point - their test was not sensitive enough to detect my level. i had blood tests that showed low vitamin D. My uric acid levels have been tested twice and were on or below the MS average both times (low is bad). i have had some episodes where i did not have blood tests to support my experience: once i noticed dramatic improvement with 3 days of b-complex supplements, and one time with a day or two of magnesium. i suspect that iron is a fixer for my 'jimmylegs'. they are jumping a little here and there and i haven't been supplementing iron very much... but i don't know if my iron is down right now for sure. going for a test soon so we'll see.

in spite of all these nutrition probs, i still spent some time omitting certain foods that made me react badly. after a while getting my biochemistry back into order, i find i can tolerate things like bread again. mostly i try to eat many different kinds of unprocessed foods. plenty of protein as well as the veggies. not an angel by any stretch, but much healthier than i used to be, i think!

i have had such good results from vitamins in general, that i continue to try to figure out the right balance for me.