Help! Just diagnosed..Not sure what meds to take.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bebe
Family Member

Post by bebe »

Hi, please dont make you decision on therapy based on "once a week" or "once a month" dosing. I work with MS patietns every day and I know this is attractive, just research the data a little more. Long term function is the goal....not how convenenient the therapy seems to be.

Its a shame that patients taking a once a week interferon still have to deal with flu like symptoms when we know (based on head-to-head comparisons) that taking it more than once a week reduces those symptoms. Its like taking any other drug...when you keep a steady blood level, your body becomes used to the drug. In other words, you dont experienced the ups and downs of a once a week dose.
SandyP

Post by SandyP »

Hello! I was dx in 09/04. I had ON in 08/99 and was told by the neuro-opthamologist that it could lead to MS. I passed the period of time that one "usually" gets dx, so I thought I was safe...I should have known better. I did not really research it, because when I did I felt like I was becoming a hypochondriac.

I was feeling a little weird and weak on a Wednesday and went to dinner with my "other half" (we have been living together for almost 7 years in total)and he turned back before reaching home when I said something is not right and we went to the ER. I thought I was having a stroke (left sdide was numb and tingling) and had problems walking...I was referred to as the "lady who walked weird" by an ER nurse. I was discharged and came back in about 5 hours with the syptoms being more severe. I was admitted and to make a long story short(er) I was told that I had MS. I was to go to a family wedding/family get-together/vacation that week. Needless to say I got time off from work, but not for what I planned. I was told by the neurologist that I was going on to Rebif and Effexor (to go with my high blood pressure and Acid Reflux meds). I was not given any options or alternatives. I was treated with IV steroids and sent to Rehab for 1 month. I'm not really complaining...I could not walk or move my left hand/arm. After another 2 exacerbations I am doing better, but still have further to go. In all, my God daughter walks better than I and can run and jump. I am thankful that I can walk again and I am beginning to realize when I am getting fatigued. MS sucks but I know it could be worse right now and it could be better. We are trying to figure out how to make it through tomorrow and work on the next day. It is a huge and stressful change, Rebif has been working for me, although it is early to tell if it is really working. Sorry for the long post! I just found this site yesterday and have been lurking at "BrainTalk." Sandy