Fumarate trial Phase III - anyone on it?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Fumarate trial Phase III - anyone on it?

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi people
saw my neuro today to discuss post-birth treatment options. Looks like I qualify only for Copaxone again, but she did mention a trial, Fumarate.
As it's placebo controlled I'm taking a gamble if I were to opt for that over Copaxone, but just wondering is anyone participating in the trial and how are you doing on it?
I've seen some posts about Biogen/psoriasis etc but not much info as yet.
If I'm honest an oral therapy sounds like heaven but I need to weigh up all the risks before I decide in the next month....
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Fumarate trial Phase III - anyone on it?

Post by HarryZ »

Wonderfulworld,

Here is a link which outlines the two different trials:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/P ... h_2007nov2

What I really found interesting is Biogen comparing this new oral drug in the one trial to patients using Copaxone. In my opinion, there can only be one reason for doing this....trying to prove that this new drug is better than Copaxone (competitive drug to Biogen's Avcnex and Tysabri )and thus hopefully gaining some market share in the very competitive MS drug world.

The Phase II trials of Fumarate supposedly showed a 69% drop in active MS brain lesions vs placebo as seen on MRI's. Having said that, we know that there is little or no correlation between brain lesions and MS symptoms or disease progression. I don't have MS but if I did, I'm not so sure that I would take a chance with something this new and unproven. I would certainly be sitting down and talking to my neuro about it, getting his/her opinion and doing as much research as possible before making a final decision.

Harry
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Thanks Harry for that link.
Funny, didn't see Dublin, Ireland on the list of trial sites so perhaps there is a third trial....
It is a big gamble for me, especially as I'd just have had my baby in Feb/March? - I think that I'll opt for tried and sort-of-trusted Copaxone again, and leave a trial until that stops working.