Pain question

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Muu
Family Elder

Post by Muu »

I was just thinking that the pain especially as it seems to be affecting specific areas on one side may be sciatica or similar when i came to Marcias post. My "good leg" had a feeling of being pulled and felt as if it were giving way for a while. I naturally assumed it was ms whereas my oesteopath thought it was a trapped nerve. After a few visits it went completely. Perhaps something mechanical could be behind your pain. We do compensate for weaknesses brought on by ms and that can have all manner of affects on other parts of our bodies that are working harder. Best of luck in sorting it out.
Muu
missvicki
Family Member

Post by missvicki »

My neuro also said I should have no MS associated pain in my lower legs. I'm going to take this article that Lyon posted and maybe she'll prescribe massages!

Thanks Lyon!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Pain question

Post by NHE »

missvicki wrote:My neuro also said I should have no MS associated pain in my lower legs.
The National MS Society recognizes that pain is a common symptom associated with MS. It's surprising that your neurologist should suggest otherwise. Here's a link to an article from the NMSS on MS pain. You might also want to bring in the PDF version available from that page when you go to see your neurologist. Maybe they need to wear the "MS Simulator Shoes" for a while. Fortunately, I don't have thorns in mine, just sand paper most of the time. :roll:

NHE
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

A mechanical root would be far preferable - the pain seems to be getting worse but I can't get an appointment with my doctor - I try every day but they have a stupid system where you can only book appoipntments 1 day in advance - and it's hard to get there quick enough to do it.

The pain feels different to sciatica - I've had that on the other side in the past, and it is also in my arm.
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

Hi there

Just wanted to chip in that my neuro also said that ms does not cause pain - I was gob-smacked! Maybe I belonged in a psych facility because I had serious neuropathic pain in my rt arm with muscle spasms too and also pain and spasms in my rt leg. This made sense to me as the lesions that were causing th eproblems at that time were in my c-spine and the inflammation was causing bulging of the cord...The next time I saw him, he asked how I was and I was really sarcastic and said fine, except for all that pain I am imagining - he denied ever saying it and gave me meds for neuropathic pain and for muscle spasms - so he obviously subscribed to the old school, then looked it up after my visit!
There are some good tipe here though - other parts of our bodies compensate for the weakness caused by ms, and take strain. The fact that it is your arm and leg is suspicious, and I would get to a doc asap - you should not have to suffer!
All the best
Al
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

Doctors not associating pain with MS is just amazing. If I Google "pain and multiple sclerosis" I come up with 600,000 hits!

gwa