Anaesthetic Question

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
oreo
Family Elder

Anaesthetic Question

Post by oreo »

I am scheduled to have surgery on Monday. When I went to the pre-op clinic yesterday, I was told that I had conflicting anaesthetic conditions.
The two choices are either a general anaesthetic or a spinal anaesthetic.

I have sleep apnea which indicates that I should not be given general anaesthetic if possible.

I also have RRMS. They said that old conventional wisdom, not actually proven and currently disputed, suggested that spinal anaesthetic could cause an MS relapse.

Have any of you good people had problems that you attribute to having had a spinal anaesthetic?
Carpe Diem
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

I would think that one of the doctors that is going to do the surgery should talk to your neuro and ask which anesthesia to use.

gwa
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

Hey Oreo

I wrote you this big long post about anaesthetics and it has vanished with no trace into th eblack hole of cyberspace...
So, in a nutshell, I have had a spinal anaesthetic since having ms and it is no worse than the spinal tap that most of us get at the beginning, with similar potential complications (also possible allergy to anaesthesia used but very rare). It worked brilliantly - no pain during operation and for a few hours afterwards, then au and about that evening - no nausea and grogginess that you get with a GA.
To me, there is no logical reason for not having a spinal anaesthetic if you have ms - they are happy to do spinal taps which deplete the spinal fluid cushioning the brain - spinal anaesthetics introduce a substance into the area around the cord, but below L5 and it will not rise above this level (about top of your hip bone level). It was no problem for me, and may not be for you either - chat to your neuro to be sure, but mine was happy with it and I had no after effects or relapses.
Even if you have a GA - best place to be is in theatre with a ventilator if you have sleep apnoea.
I know you are probably nervous but sure you will be in safe hands.
All the best
Al