Messing with my medication

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Messing with my medication

Post by MrsGeorge »

My doc put me on gabapentin for the pain that I have been having in my legs & bum - the original does did nothing and the doubled does (600mg/day) had a little effect on the pain but nothing really noticible. I did however start gaining weight when I should have lost (am on strict diet).

I have decided (without checking with my GP) to stop taking the gabapentin to see how much difference it's making to my pain. In the last 4-5 days I have noticed that I have more pain but as the meds weren't making that much difference I can pretty much live with it - so long as I don't do certain things.

Is it really dumb of me? It's just that I have been fighting so hard to lose weight - and have lost 35lbs but I still have more to lose and just can't afford to gain weight or I will never be able to start a family.

I'm still due to be starting copaxone in the next couple of weeks.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

If the meds aren't really helping then it hardly seems sensible to keep taking them just because a professional is telling you to. I hesitate to recommend anything to anyone as we're all different but I have found that the pain in my left leg and foot has radically improved since I started taking lots of curcumin (bioactive part of turmeric) and boswellia (basis for frankincense) with a bit of bioperine (black pepper extract) to aid absorption. This improvement could well be random, however. I haven't noticed a big increase in weight on them although my appetite is considerably better than for the previous 2.5 years when I was trialling antibiotics.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Gabapentin takes quite a while for the benefits to be felt.

If you've taken something like Percocet for pain before, it's not at all like that. No immediate relief.

By quite a while, I can't give you an answer. It depends on the individual.
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
Artifishual
Family Elder

fwiw

Post by Artifishual »

for what its worth if we are talking bout the same meds i was taking 3000mg a day w/ no results. you may want to talk to your dr about uping the dosage???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Neurontin