Brain lesions vs. spinal cord lesions

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Sky

Brain lesions vs. spinal cord lesions

Post by Sky »

I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been covered before...
My neuro said he was more concerned about my spinal /neck lesions than the ones in my brain. He said that the brain ones were in an "insignificant place", but his face fell when he discussed the spinal/neck ones. This was about 13 months ago and I'm still walking and talking...I mean, did he want to imply impending doom, or what? I'm due for my next MRI this month. I am sure I'll see more lesions, but shouldn't I go on how I feel, instead of what they see? I read a story about Fox News' Neal Cavuto that was very uplifting and his doctors "marveled at his MRI scans because they indicate a man unable to walk or talk" yet he defies this visual diagnosis and continues to stay active and fit.
http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis ... ls_with_ms
So my questions are: Are spinal lesions "worse"?
Do you rely on how you feel versus what the MRI says?
Thanks for any input!
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

Usually lesions in the spinal cord correlate to the progressive forms of the disease, which may or may not have a quicker downturn for the patient than the RRMS patient.

This type of patient will not go through the relapsing and remitting that most MS'ers experience, but will steadily go downhill with little relief in the disease progress, unlike the RRMS type.

A person with RRMS will usually have more lesions in the brain and fewer, if any, in the spinal cord.

Some people with PPMS are stable for many years, while others decline at a quicker pace. It would be impossible now to determine which category you will fall into.

gwa
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Sky...
Welcome, sorry you find yourself here. My husband's neuro had a similar reaction looking at his first MRI. Her words, "Do everything you can now." He had so many lesions, and one biggie on his cervical spine. She was surprised he was doing as well as he was. Neuros don't know what the future holds, or how your body can re-route itself. Brain plasticity is an amazing thing. Neal Cavuto is a wonderful example of that.
A year and a half later, my husband's second MRI showed no progression and some slight shrinkage in lesions...and again his doc scratched her head. Your future is not written, Sky. Do all you can with diet, supplements and exercise. Take a CRAB if you feel comfortable with that. Rely on how you feel and live in the here and now.
wishing you the best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com