My daughter

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Terry
Family Elder

My daughter

Post by Terry »

I am a bit concerned about my daughter. I have not allowed myself to panic, but I am starting to wonder if my 22 year old daughter might have MS.
Over the last two months or so, what she has told me is this...
Went to a club one night and her leg went numb for the evening. She could hardly walk and didn't dance at all.
Arms (both) went tingly- numb a few days ago.
A "crushing" in her upper abdomen. She put her hand just below her rib cage.
Also, she tells me of times when she feels like she has "seizures" of some sort. This has been going on longer than the other things. I have never seen her do this, but I have been hearing about it for a while.
She is a fairly self-absorbed 22 year old, and I can tell you she know little about my symptoms. I am sure she is not trying to mimic me.
I have not said MS to her. I have also not discussed this with other family members,.
I don't want to freak her out. She worries over herself enough already.
I may gather her a supply of vitamins, etc, and hope she takes them. Though her things are here, she is seldom home. I cannot watch over her.
I really don't want to alarm her, but also don't want to sit idly by if she does have MS.
She has no health insurance, and even if she did, I don't know that I would want her to go through the worry of the diagnosis process. Since I have little faith in prescribed treatments anyway, my opinion is that it would be for naught.
I don't know what I expect you all to say, really. I just wanted to verbalize this.
Also, I have never experienced any seizure activity, but I understand that others do. I'll have to read up on that.
Terry
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Terry....
This must be so tough to watch. Can't even imagine. But you are a wise Mom not to get upset or freak out your daughter. It's never easy, is it?

I'm wondering if there's any way to do a complete physical with some simple blood tests, to rule out vitamin deficiencies like B12, vit D, Hughes syndrome, anemia, etc. It wouldn't be as expensive or scary as the full blown MS diagnosis, but it might provide some answers and areas she can improve with diet and supplements. Do you have a good GP or did you like her pediatrician? They might help you out, knowing she's uninsured.

Then again, this is just how I'd handle it....but like you said, you're not even sure if you have much faith in the medical world, and I completely understand that, Terry. Whatever you decide, know that you, your family and daughter are in my thoughts.
so sorry-
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

Thanks Cheer,
No need to be too sorry yet, though. We'll wait and see. I should see her tomorrow as we are having a baby shower, and I'll ask her if she'll take some vitamins. She was here Thursday evening telling me about her stomach and I had wondered before, but that made me really really wonder.
Maybe it is nothing. I probably shouldn't have "said it out loud" here, just as I hadn't to her or the rest of my family. Saying it out loud makes it seem more possible.
If it continues to sound MS'y, I can send her to my doc and get her going on the homeopathy at least. He wouldn't diagnose, I don't think, just treat based on her symptoms. Seems to me a diagnosis can somewhat rob one of hope and I wouldn't want that for her.
Hopefully I worry for nothing.
Terry
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Terry,

Just know I am thinking about you and praying for your daughter. That has to be one of the hardest things I've ever even tried to imagine; going through this with your child. I hope it turns out to be nothing and that you are worrying unnecessarily. Keep us posted.

Return to “General Discussion”