How do you tell friends you have MS?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby freiguy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:11 am

Matt,
I have shared my dx with my family and close friends. I really don't have any outward symptoms that scream MS. For this reason I have not let coworkers know - at this point I don't feel I need to. If things change outwardly then maybe I will reconsider telling coworkers.
freiguy
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby Sharon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:54 am

Enjoy the hike! Hope your area of the country is having a beautiful Fall.

You'll figure it out in time - don't stress over it! Stress is not a good thing for MS.
Sharon
Family Elder

Postby EyeDoc » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:27 am

To tell or not to tell... That is the question.

I have found that letting the people I work with know has been very liberating. I did not tell them to gain sympathy. I don't want any. But it is helpful when I am feeling extremely tired that they know there is a reason and can understand.

Certainly if MS begins affecting you physically and may limit your endurance for hiking, let them know.
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Postby MattB » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Had a great time but I didn't end up telling anyone about my MS, it was a whole lot less conspicuous(the injections) than I thought it was going to be. Here's a few pics:

MattB
Family Elder

Postby thinkingoutloud86 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:04 pm

Beautiful!

Glad it went well!

TOL
thinkingoutloud86
Family Elder

Postby whyRwehere » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:31 am

Matt,
I absolutely love the Adirondacks...you were lucky to be there.
As for telling people, my husband hasn't told work, but it should be obvious to them that he has a problem. Frustratingly, some of those people have suggested that he is lazy....dragging his feet to get places, taking the elevator, not being fast on the stairs. That makes me angry for him, but he really can't declare anything at work, as we just aren't secure in the position yet.
The people who do know (no one from work), seem to pretend it's no big deal. They don't ask many questions.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Postby RedSonja » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:23 am

You don't need to lie, but then again you don't have top tell the entire truth. You husband should say he has a rare disease of the central nervous system, which makes him numb on his left side sometimes. If he has real problems walking he can get a stick, don't need to use it every day. When my sister finally got a stick, people confessed they had been thinking she was alcoholic.
Bibo ergo sum
RedSonja
Family Elder

Previous

Return to General Discussion