Bad Case

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Bad Case

Postby Cougar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:21 am

Hi everybody, my mom was diagnosed about two months ago and since then has not started any medication. Her insurance company has only approved the Avonex, which her doctor will not approve because of the side effects and her small stature. The problem is that since she isn't on any thing to stop the progression it is just getting worse and the insurance company will not budge. Do you have any ideas to help us get through this road block?
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:00 pm


Postby jimmylegs » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:32 am

hi cougs welcome and sorry to hear your bad scenario.
what exactly has been your mom's progression of symptoms over time, and is she on any other medications? does she have any other diagnoses besides ms?
i am not the one to advise on drug selection or dealing with insurers.
but... nutrition management is one way to take control, but it sounds like you'll have to foot the bill for tests and of course for any supplements taken. can your mom afford to do some bloodwork?
if you are interested in hearing about some supplements you can read a bit of an overview i just posted in the ms pain please describe yours topic. it was near the end in response to dixie.
hope this helps, ask me anything you like if you think your mom will be interested in pursuing this approach.
User avatar
Volunteer Moderator
Posts: 11119
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:00 pm

Postby Miss_Feisty » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Greetings Cougar
Do you know what drug the doctor does recommend? Or is the doc proposing none of the other meds because of their side effects too?

If the doc proposes another medication and you CHOOSE to try it, contact that company. Sometimes the pharmaceutical company will offer financial assistance with the med.

If nothing is recommended at this time, as jimmylegs proposed have a look around here. There are some alternatives for people who seek them out.

If the insurance company is giving grief and accusing mom of not accepting a treatment, try contacting your ms society. This is a road they would have experience with.
User avatar
Family Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Postby Loriyas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Cougar!
What is happening that makes you say that things are just getting worse? Is she currently having an exacerbation? If so, perhaps a course of solumedrol is the course of action at this time. What does the doctor say? Would the doctor talk with/write to the insurance company explaining his reasoning for not wanting her on Avonex?
Family Elder
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:00 pm
Location: Naples, FL

Postby DIM » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Welcome aboard, our insurance pays almost all known medications but we decided for my wife that LDN is better for her case although is the only that we have to pay, the cost of it is ridiculous in case you have no other choices!
I say again in case you have no other choices, as Jimmy says I don't want to affect your decision, it's up to you!
User avatar
Family Elder
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:00 pm
Location: GREECE

Return to General Discussion


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Contact us | Terms of Service