Wisdom Teeth extraction with MS..anyone?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Wisdom Teeth extraction with MS..anyone?

Post by cheerleader »

My husband's dentist has been on him for years....wants him to have his wisdom teeth removed. They are not impacted or infected (that we can see) but they are crooked. Dentist thinks he'd be better off without them. He's really pushing.

I'm concerned about surgery for him...anyone have experience in this? Thoughts?
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i had mine yanked summer 2007 once my jaw really started to ache and i started to have trouble eating. i was in quebec at the time so it was an interesting second-language health care experience lol! but no big deal. mine had been erupted for years - are jeff's out at all? does he need to get put under, or just numbed?

i only had two wisdoms left, and they just numbed me up with injections. i had to take abx leading up to the day of. they yanked the top one without too much trouble, just drove a screw into it and pulled. they split the bottom one in half to get the roots out from the lower jaw.

it was not a birthday party or anything but no real drama either.
that said, i don't have the same exact issues as jeff is dealing with, not close to the amount of pain or visible symptoms of lost blood vessel integrity that he was suffering before.

i think if you dose him up with extra A-C-E-zinc-bcomplex before and after, not to mention acidophilus if they do some preventative abx treatment, should be not too shabby.

HTH,
JL
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Thanks, Jimmy. Yeah, his have erupted, so the doc could probably get ahold of them and yank. I think they'd do 2 at a time, rather than the whole thing at once. I'd take him off his enzymes and aspirin before, so he wouldn't bleed too much, and per your advice, do the extra vitamins. I'd hope they wouldn't have to put him under...just use sedation and novocaine.

Like the links at the bottom of your signature...all terrific info, and you don't have to repeat yourself over and over. Maybe make them a color, to "pop"?
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
Artifishual
Family Elder

Post by Artifishual »

no big deal AC had mine done and it took my dr. 30 minutes to do the entire procedure. LOL, i only remember going in and my dr getting the iv ready, then it was lights out. all i could say afterwards was wow that was fast. my wife was waiting on me and she could not believe how fast he was either. no dry socket or any complications at all. i hardly had any pain what so ever. good luck to Jeff :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

OMG i had dry socket on the first one 10 years ago that suuucks

cheer he can probably do it awake, i didn't even have sedation just numbing. i agree about one side at a time, and good precaution re: aspirin.

for me this last time, due to the previous dry socket episode, i was overprepared with liquid foods, didn't even get through it all before the holed were healed :D whew!

thanks for noticing the sig links and the aesthetic advice LOL!!
JL
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

I had my wisdom teeth out while I was in college many years ago. All 4 came in, and came in really crooked (almost sideways). Because of this, the dentist insisted they had to come out. Mine were done under general anesthesia, and they had to cut them out. My cheeks swelled up for about a week afterward, and I had to rinse the holes out with a syringe for about a month, so they wouldn't get infected.

My brother-in-law had his come in, but they came in pretty straight and weren't causing any real problems. He refused the dentist's suggestion to have them removed. I think maybe you should consider this approach - if they aren't causing problems, let them be.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

what does jeff think ?
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Or he could do it like me (pre-MS). I was 19 and I didn't have any money, so I went to a dentist that I'd never been to, told him I couldn't afford X-rays and went ahead and gave him $25.00 per tooth to pull them out. It was $400.00 to get them removed by an oral surgeon. He did novacane me, but he just pulled those dudes out of there and just about freaked me out when he was using the "pry bar" on the bottom ones, the top ones just slipped out. He had to chisel the bottom two into pieces since the roots were "curly Q'd" and then spin the pieces out. I felt great until the novacane wore off. Well he told me to quarter the bite pads and bite down to control the bleeding. What he meant was to cut them in quarters. Dumb ass me folds them into a 1/4 size, thus increasing the thickness 4 fold. Well that was stupid and I spent the next three days home from work looking like a squirrel stocking up on nuts. Obviously you won't be doing that. Horrible experience for me, but it was all brought on by a) not listening well, and b) lack of fundage. In other words, I created all the fun myself!
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

robbie wrote:what does jeff think ?
Hey Robbie...
In case folks here haven't figured out our marital dynamic yet :D
Jeff could care less...that's why he's 45 and still has his wisdom teeth.
The dentist's office calls me, because they've learned that I'll book the cleaning appointments. The dentist really wants them out, since they're tight, and pushing on his molars. But it's been years, and they're still fine.
Jeff will probably hold off...again.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

loobie your deal sounds like what happened with my first one to go, one of the bottom ones - i went to a teaching clinic where it was $7 to have it out - if you didn't mind a crowd of dental students peering into your mouth :S hehehe.. and ending up with dry socket!
HUTTO
Family Member

Post by HUTTO »

hey cheer. i actually have my oppointment with the oral surgeon tomorrow. i will ask all that i can and report it..i have to have mine out. one has impacted another tooth and infected that one..but all four came in. all four have cavaties. we will see. i will post what the dr. says tomorrow morning.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

that's what you should do then cheer
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

robbie wrote:
that's what you should do then cheer
Good advice, Rob...thanks

Good luck with the oral surgeon, hutto!
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
HUTTO
Family Member

Post by HUTTO »

hey cheer. everything the dr said was no worries for ms. stated when i was under it would take about 15min. we will see.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

what kind of anaesthetic are they going to use to put you under?