Association between multiple sclerosis and cystic structures

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
furch
Getting to Know You...

Association between multiple sclerosis and cystic structures

Post by furch »

Has this study been discussed here before? I found it most interesting...
Association between multiple sclerosis and cystic structures in cerebrospinal fluid.
Brorson O, Brorson SH, Henriksen TH, Skogen PR, Schøyen R.

Dept. of Microbiology, Vestfold Sentralsykehus, Tønsberg, Norway.

BACKGROUND: The aim of the study was to search for infectious agents in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of patients with multiple sclerosis (MS). PATIENTS AND METHODS: CSF from ten patients with the diagnosis relapsing remitting MS and from five controls without MS were examined by transmission electron microscopy (TEM), dark field microscopy (DF), interference contrast microscopy (ICM) and UV-microscopic examination of acridine orange staining (AO). All CSF samples from patients and controls were cultured. RESULTS: Cystic structures were observed in CSF of all ten patients by AO and TEM. DF revealed eight cyst-positive patients out of nine. One of five control persons had such structures in the CSF; this person had suffered from erythema migrans. Spirochete or rod-like structures emerged after culturing two of the MS patient CSF samples and these structures could be propagated. CONCLUSION: A significant association of CSF cysts and MS was identified in this small study among residents in a coastal area of southern Norway. The cysts could be of spirochetal origin. Our study may encourage other researchers to study larger patient groups.

PMID: 11787831 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
full article:
http://home.pon.net/caat/lyme/cyst_phase/MS_study.htm
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

I have great hopes for the CCVI to be the real deal...although there seems to be so many things that have an MS connection that I just wonder if there will be one solution only. :(

furge - interesting article