Another reason research is moving slow

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
scorpion
Family Elder

Another reason research is moving slow

Post by scorpion »

I was having a conversation with my wife this morning at the breakfast table about the increased fundingObama gave for scientific research and she shared with me an interesting perspective. My wife is a young(36) researcher at a fairly big university and one of her research interests is stem cells. She and many of her colleagues applied for grants from the Federal government in order to continue testing their specific line of research. As time went on the younger researchers with new and fresh ideas received very little funding while the ancient professors, who generally like to keep things the way they are, received huge lump sums. Apparently, after some of the young faculty looked into the disparity, fedral funds are distributed by scientists who personally know many of the faculty who receive the funding! It seems like having friends in higher places is the key to receiving more funding instead of innovative ideas hence why we get the same old crap and progress is very slow. I wonder what would happen if anyone raises hell about this buddy system to the right people?? hmmmmm.
BioDocFL
Family Elder

Post by BioDocFL »

I agree with your wife's assessment 100%. The Obama administration needs to address this to improve US research.

Wesley