Trial funding

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
billf
Family Member

Trial funding

Post by billf »

Shall we put our heads together and brainstorm ways that funding can be found for trials that are meaningful to the MS community but not necessarily for the big pharma companies? We currently have these big pharmas funding a trail of rebif vs. copaxone (<sarcasm>so that we can find out that one is 30.13% effective and the other is 30.12% effective</sarcasm>). Who cares!!!??? What about trials for antibiotics, LDN, and so many others? Yes, I know, everyone has the quick response that there is no money for the drug companies so it won't happen. OK, so it's not as easy, but do we have to give up so quickly? There are some brilliant minds on this site whose combined brainstorming power ought to be able to generate some new ways of thinking about this old obstacle. Don't tell me old ideas on why funding will never happen. Brainstorm some new ideas!
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Well, Bill, I have to say that personally speaking, I think you are exactly right! And I'm not giving up. (I personally operate in a behind the scenes manner.)

My thought (first) is to try to apply influence or even exert pressure on the current organizations that exist for and on behalf of MSers to represent us or help us in the manner in which we prefer. This approach may appear to be taking baby steps, but at least they are steps, right? And this strategy usually takes a little time, and our credibility needs to be proven a bit, of course (which we definitely are doing - especially recently), but I've seen it work time and again. What I call "grass roots mobilizing" is not easy, but I believe it is happening. (And I am personally not only just talking about it, I have been actively pursuing it.)

And you're right. Additional ideas, etc. as you suggest should be presented and more importantly ACTED upon. It doesn't take a grandiose idea or action to gradually affect change. Even what appears to be the smallest of things, when combined with others' efforts, can result in pretty good momentum.

:wink:

Deb
JoyceF
Family Elder

JoyceF

Post by JoyceF »

Please check out www.ldnresearchtrust.org. You see, several MSer's that live in Europe did just that. They created a way for all of us to donate money to do our own study. They are making headway but not enough is happening. We all have to buckle down and just decide that we can do it. I donate whatever money I would normally have donated to the MS society. Please check out the site and if at all possible, donate towards the cause. It is a worthy one for sure.
JFH
Family Elder

Post by JFH »

The URL Joyce gave asks me for a login/password.

This one gets me there http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/index.htm
John
I am what I am