scar-degrading enzyme

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

scar-degrading enzyme

Postby dignan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:36 pm

This sounds like good progress...

Spinal cord regeneration enabled by stabilizing, improving delivery of scar-degrading enzyme

November 2, 2009 -- Researchers have developed an improved version of an enzyme that degrades the dense scar tissue that forms when the central nervous system is damaged. By digesting the tissue that blocks re-growth of damaged nerves, the improved enzyme - and new system for delivering it - could facilitate recovery from serious central nervous system injuries.

The enzyme, chrondroitinase ABC (chABC), must be supplied to the damaged area for at least two weeks following injury to fully degrade scar tissue. But the enzyme functions poorly at body temperature and must therefore be repeatedly injected or infused into the body.

In a paper published November 2 in the early edition of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers describe how they eliminated the thermal sensitivity of chABC and developed a delivery system that allowed the enzyme to be active for weeks without implanted catheters and pumps. This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health.

for the rest of the article:
http://www.physorg.com/news176398485.html
dignan
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby ElMarino » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:52 pm

It sounds promising. Thanks for posting! I saw this story earlier today but I misread the need for a two week infusion for an infusion having to be given within two we4eks! I went from being buoyed up by the news to disappointment but now I feel quite good about it again! Great news!
Apologies for my terrible username. I never thought I'd use the forum much when I registered..
ElMarino
Family Elder

Postby rssugg » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:34 am

i read it the same as you on the first round!
rssugg
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion