Oligoclonal Bands

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Oligoclonal Bands

Postby PTIZZ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:30 pm

I just got my LP results back (I'm in the testing process, checking for MS) and I had some questions to compare my results with yours.

My oligoclonal bands showed 9 unique bands in my CSF. All my other IgG levels and indexes are normal. My lymphocytes in my CSF are at 99% and the other 1% is monocytes. My WBC in my SCF is 7 (2 out of normal range of 1-5).

Has anyone else been diagnosed with MS with a high OCB count and normal IgG and index values?
User avatar
PTIZZ
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Advertisement

Re: Oligoclonal Bands

Postby euphoniaa » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:21 am

PTIZZ wrote:Has anyone else been diagnosed with MS with a high OCB count and normal IgG and index values?


Hi PTIZZ,

I'm sorry you're having to go through this at all, and I don't have a specific answer to your question. But...I do know that people can be diagnosed with MS even without any evidence in their spinal fluid - even with no O-bands at all. There are, however, other medical conditions that produce O-bands, so your diagnostician will be looking at many other things to decide. The problem with MS is that it's usually a diagnosis of exclusion - if nothing else fits, you get the dx.

But not in my case. I passed every single test that they give for MS, as well as the ones they use to exclude other conditions (like the EMGs), but it's not necessary to pass them all -- many others do not. My first MRI showed a brainful of classic MS lesions, my spinal fluid showed everything they look for in that, and I pass all of the evoked potential tests.

Wishing you the best. :)
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
User avatar
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:00 pm
Location: midwest U.S.

Postby gabelle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:54 am

My LP showed greater than 8 o-bands and the rest of the levels were normal also. I already had a diagnosis and this just put the icing on the cake. my ms has been very progressive, take care of yourself. Keep good records, and a weekly journal of your symptoms/meds, etc. when I had to apply for ssdi, the journal I had been keeping for 8 yrs really helped me with records/dates...
User avatar
gabelle
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Postby PTIZZ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Thank you for your response. I went to my neuro and he gave me a definite MS diagnosis but he was reluctant to talk about the o-bands.

I'm going to get a second opinion and hopefully a new permanent Doc, since my first neuro wasn't as informative as I thought he should/could have been.

I am still a little worried with the high number of o-bands...hopefully it isn't associated with a poor prognosis likey I've heard.
User avatar
PTIZZ
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Postby KateCW » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:03 am

If it's any reassurance, I have only one-monoclonal-band, but have primary progressive ms and am in a scooter full time. I don't think there is a correlation to number of bands and disability/prognosis.
User avatar
KateCW
Family Elder
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:00 pm


Return to General Discussion

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service