Fatigue & Treatment

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Which Fatigue Medication Works For You?

provigil (modafinil)
65%
acetyl l-carnitine (ALCAR)
12%
pemoline (cylert)
6%
amantadine
18%

Total votes: 17

Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Hi

I'm not Canadian so can't answer that :( sorry!

However, the brand I get here in the US at the local health/food store is Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg manufactured by Bluebonnet Nutrition Corporation, Sugar Land, Texas.

I understand "purity" is an issue generally, so any brand you get should be certified "L carni pure".

Puzzling to me why it wouldn't be available in Canada. I thought you were more liberal than us. :roll:

Since it seems you may have an interest in "non-drug" things that might help the meaningful person in your life (I think that's wonderful by the way :)), if they have burning, numbness and tingling, my pharmacist suggested alpha lipoic acid. It seems to be working like a charm for me for those symptoms.

There was a 2 week randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled pilot trial of safety, pharmokinetcs and effects on matrix metalloproteinase-9 ???? (whatever that is :roll: ). Results to be presented at the AAN at end of April. Seems to be safe ( mild gastrointestinal problems).

Conclusions from the abstract: All subjects taking ALA 1200mg had measurable levels of serum ALA while those taking 600 mg often did not. ALA was generally well tolerated.......ALA warrants further study as a potential new therapy for MS. (Lead author Vijayshree Yadav and hopefully Google can get you to the whole thing if you're interested.

Good luck to you and your friend.

Take care

Sharon
VirtuallyFine
Family Member

United Kingdom Grants Expanded Label for Modafinil

Post by VirtuallyFine »

just b/c I am taking this med, I have been watching for it in the news...here is more news of Modafinil...(aka provigil OR alertec)

United Kingdom Grants Expanded Label for Provigil (Modafinil) for Treatment of Excessive Sleepiness

WEST CHESTER, PA -- April 13, 2004 -- Cephalon, Inc. announced that it has received marketing approval in the United Kingdom to expand the label of Provigil® (modafinil) Tablets [C-IV] to include the treatment of excessive sleepiness in patients with chronic pathological conditions, including narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome and moderate to severe chronic shift work sleep disorder. Cephalon UK Limited is planning to launch the new indication later this month.

"This UK approval and the recent U.S. approval are significant milestones in our global regulatory strategy," said Dr. Paul Blake, MB, FRCP, Senior Vice President of Clinical Research and Regulatory Affairs at Cephalon. "We anticipate additional approvals for expanded indications for modafinil in Europe this year."

John Dawson, Vice President, Pharmaceutical Operations Europe, added: "This broader indication offers us a tremendous opportunity to address the unmet needs of many patients with excessive sleepiness and to accelerate our already strong sales growth in the European market."

Provigil
Provigil is the first in a new class of wake-promoting agents believed to work through the sleep-wake centers to activate the cortex of the brain. The medication currently is approved in more than 20 countries under several brand names. Provigil initially was approved in the United Kingdom in 1998 for the treatment of narcolepsy, and in 2002, for the treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness associated with obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome.

SOURCE: Cephalon, Inc.
< March 20, 2004 = I want my life back *sigh*
> March 20, 2004 = ...day one on alertec = getting my life back? *grin*
Jan_in_VA

Post by Jan_in_VA »

I just heard that the Central VA chapter of NMSS is planning on giving a 6 session workshop on fatigue that was developed by a chapter in Oregon. Has anyone taken that workshop anywhere else?

Jan
Bobble43
Getting to Know You...

Fatigue & Treatment

Post by Bobble43 »

Yes that bone numbing, mind frying fatigue is a major issue with me. I have learned that pacing my daily (I no longer am employed) activities is a must. I take Provigil--half a pill. I tried the full dose and I felt wired for sound!! very nervous, heart just racing--not a good feeling. I do notice a big difference if I forget it-----it seems to be working well for me. Another added benefit is clearer cognition. When I get that major brain fog--I've noticed that I also have major fatigue. Haven't figured out--does thinking make me tired, or the fatigue cause problems with thinking? I'm thankful for the Provigil, helps me live a more normal life.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Fatigue & Treatment

Post by HarryZ »

I'm new to the board and finding my way around. I've been following MS research for some 40 years and my wife has SPMS.

Just a few comments on fatigue drugs that were listed here...Provogil can become addictive so one has to be careful when using it. Cylert was banned in Canada last year because of too many instances of liver damage.

My wife who used to suffer terribly from fatigue, starting taking Prokarin about 4 years ago. Since then her fatigue is pretty much totally under control as long as she doesn't overdo it in the course of day. The Prokarin has also reduced or eliminated 4 other nasty symptoms that she used to suffer. There has been one double-blind, placebo controlled clinical trial of Prokarin on MS fatigue and it had a decent result in this area.

She used to use Cylert on occasion but it did little for her.

Harry