Pre- and Probiotic Immune Modulation?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
RevLeonidas
Family Member

Pre- and Probiotic Immune Modulation?

Post by RevLeonidas »

I read something recently this brings on a query regarding nondigestible food compounds: pre- and probiotics. Doctor Steven Pratt, M.D. of the Scripps Clinic in San Diego says that there are many double blind, placebo-controlled human trials that show that the synergy of pre- and probiotic food compounds promote health and fight disease. One such study shows that there is a clear sign that probiotics modulate the immune system (bornet, F.R.J., et. al. Immune-stimulating and gut health-promoting properties of short-chain fructo-oligosaccharideshttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... =iconabstr. Nutr Rev 2002;60(I0, Part I))

In this era of micro-technology and genetic engineering, isn’t it reasonable to assume that pre- and probiotics could be engineered to have an effect on a dysfunctional immune system? If studies show that “there is a clear sign” that yogurt with live active cultures stimulates the immune system, couldn’t there be a smart-culture developed that could specifically stimulate the immune system to modulate/repair itself?

Just a wacky idea that could be worth a look.

Be Well,
Rev. Leonidas