AMANTADINE ETC

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

AMANTADINE ETC

Postby jam » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:39 pm

I was wanting some feedback on Amantadine. I have had this in my cupboard for a while, I obviously tried it but gave up.

I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences e.g. benefits or problems with this drug.

I know if was given to me for tiredness but one of the sideeffects is tiredness so obviously I am not sure what to do.

The reasone I ask is that I am going to Germany for stemcell and it is a very long way from NZ and I was wondering how I am going to get through this and whether the Amantadine could possibly help. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Jam
jam
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby CureOrBust » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:57 pm

The last research I read on Amantadine regarding fatigue / tiredness, was not great. HOWEVER, I always have a bottle of it in my drawer, but not for fatigue.

My trigger for a relapse is a cold/flu/infection. I use Amantadine whenever I even think there is a chance I might catch something. If someone coughs near me in the bus, I will take it.

For fatigue, you might like to try Modafinil.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

amantadine

Postby foreignlesion » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:05 am

I take amantadine for my fatigue.

I find it does not help me physically, but it is of great benefit for my cognitive function. I am much more alert and aware when I am taking it. I went off it a few times to see if it was in fact the drug affecting me, and every time I became more distant within a week.
foreignlesion
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:23 am

jam, in late '06 i had to go from perth WA to auckland to LA to Toronto, hand out for a few days, and then to rome and finally to bari in the south of italy. i was basically in bed for three days out of my 9 in italy, from the jet lag alone. last time i flew, sept 2009, i noticed that the numbness which usually stays in my hands, was creeping up my arms. then very recently i learned that flying makes your zinc level drop (bizarre). when your zinc goes down suddenly, it may or may not have a similarly sudden effect on your uric acid, but low uric acid levels are associated with relapse. to be on the safe side you could look into checking your zinc level before you leave, and making sure it's optimal (18.2umol/L is the avg in healthy controls). if feasible, you might also like to stage your stops along the way, so that you can get one or two good nights' sleep in on the ground.. i stopped 12 hours in auckland on the way to perth and on the way back - wish i had used them for sleeping, but i went and did the tourist thing instead - VERY SLEEPY TOURIST! especially on the way back, for some reason??
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Amantine etc

Postby jam » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks for the info. I will take it onboard.

Jam
jam
Family Member

Return to General Discussion