Gilenya Effects on the CNS

Gilenya, or Fingolimod, is the first approved oral disease modifying drug for MS.
Chilax
Getting to Know You...

Gilenya Effects on the CNS

Post by Chilax »

A team from The Scripps Research Institute has recently discovered that Gilenya's success may involve an unexpected biological mechanism acting within the central nervous system (CNS). This difference may mean that Gilenya offers even more benefits than previously realized and would represent the first MS therapy with direct CNS activities. :)

The attached link provides more details.....

http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.as ... ureCode=en

Al
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

Sounds very good.
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

Gilenya offers even more benefits than previously realized
While this is interesting news, but imo. its "only" relevant from a scientific point of view as opposed to direct patients interest. After all, the published results from clinical trials (MRI lesion, annual relapse rate, EDSS progression etc.) are what they are. The mechanism of action - other than the modification of the immune response - underlying these outcomes is interesting (e.g. for the development of new drugs) but imo. not relevant for a patients therapy-decision whatsoever.

--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
lmacalus
Family Member

Wow, if I am understanding this right...

Post by lmacalus »

This could be a HUGE fringe benefit of taking this. I haven't suffered badly from nerve death yet, but fewer relapses less severe relapses & nerve protection sound like a pretty good COMBO to me ;o)