My Gilenya First Dose Experience

Gilenya, or Fingolimod, is the first approved oral disease modifying drug for MS.

My Gilenya First Dose Experience

Postby ovifan08 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:23 am

I took my first does of Gilenya at 8am yesterday morning. I was being monitored at a Concentra Immediate Care center. I wasn't sure what to expect, but was happy to see I wouldn't' be hooked up to a heart monitor or anything. With my anxiety, I'm sure i would have been watching that thing like a hawk! They started off with an EKG, then did checked my heart rate and blood pressure both sitting and standing. My BP was a little high, but it was due to anxiety I'm sure since its normally perfect. Then the time came to swallow the pill...Here we go!

For the first hour, I was checked every 15 minutes. They checked my heart rate and BP both sitting and standing every time. After the first hour I was checked every half hour until the 6 hours were up. My heart rate or BP never changed! I was expecting at least a little drop in heart rate, but i was fortunate i guess. Hopefully that is a sign that this could work for me! I was asking the nurses there and they said they have never had a bad First Dose Observation. They had a few people get up and walk around the facility to get the heart rate to increase a little, but that is it. They mentioned changes usually start to occur after the first half hour, so I also took that as a positive sign.

Throughout the 6 hours I felt fine. I was definitely anxious at first, but that faded after a couple of hours. My wife and I passed the time playing cards. I was able to eat and drink whatever i wanted and was even able to walk around. I just wasn't able to leave the facility.

By the evening i was really tired though. I'm not sure if it was due to the Gilenya or not because i was out late the night before and had to get up early for my first dose. I will keep you updated on if the tiredness hangs around. I took my second dose at 7:30 this morning and went to work. So far all is well!

Also, I have started an MS Support group on facebook if anyone is interested in joining. It is at

Thanks for reading. I'll keep posting updates if you are interested!
Getting to Know You...

Re: My Gilenya First Dose Experience

Postby ovifan08 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 pm

13 days in and I am still feeling great!
Getting to Know You...

Postby DougL » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:33 am

good to hear, keep it up!
Family Elder

Postby Brichardson22 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Are you still on Gilenya? I start my FDO Monday morning and would love to hear how the medicine has been - good and bad. Thanks!

Return to Gilenya