New to this board

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
Sunshine4U

New to this board

Post by Sunshine4U »

Hi everyone. I've been diagnosed for a few years with RRMS and have had symptoms for many years. It took a long time to

diagnose me as I do not have large lesions, just small ones, and was told I was too old to have ms and that I was making up

my symptoms. I fired those neurologists. I kept trying to find a neurologist that would at least look at the fact that I might

have ms. I was very familiar with the symptoms. My mother has had ms for 50 years, my sister has ms, my older sister has

been tested, and my first cousin on my mother's side has ms. I didn't go looking for ms...who does that! After 7 years and

tons of tests that ruled out everything else, I finally found a Neurologist that believed in looking at the genetic link.

I believe it was last year that scientists said they had found more ms markers.

Finding the genetic information really helped me a lot. However, my ms has been getting worse and I am now looking

online for a wheelchair. I don't know if I really need it right now, but I have fallen a lot and last month fell and fractured my

foot. When do we give in and get one? I tend to hold out for too long, at least I think I do.

I feel for all of you.
FLJhawk
Family Elder

Re: New to this board

Post by FLJhawk »

Sorry to hear it took so long and that you are getting worse. May I ask what age you were when you first started showing symptoms? MS certainly shows up in younger folks most often, but we older people get it, too, for whatever reason.

I suggest you look into a good MS diet and research CCSVI. These are things you can do for yourself and don't involve toxic drugs.

Strange that, for you, so many people in your family have it. I am the only person in my family in the last couple of generations at least to ever get MS. I hope that makes it far more unlikley my own kids will get it or pass it on!

Good luck. You will have lots of support here.
Sunshine4U

Re: New to this board

Post by Sunshine4U »

I think I have had mild symptoms for many years. It really started up in 2004. I was 62 at the time. The three of us in our family were all older when MS reared it's annoying self.

My older sister had symptoms, but whoever read her MRI said it was not MS. I started on the Swank diet in 2005 and it has helped a lot. Unfortunately, I have other conditions, temporal arteritis and fibromyalgia.

I also had open heart surgery last summer and my thyroid stopped working. I'm on many drugs. I think 11. My life before MS was rather the opposite. I hardly took any meds at all and ate really well. We now grow all our own vegetables (without pesticides).

I was complaining about the number of different drugs I am taking to my doc and she said, 'Which one of these life saving drugs would you like to eliminate?'......good point.

I'm always looking for new ways to improve my life, but also have to pay attention to accepting what my life presents. When I wake up in the morning I stay very still. I think, 'I'm awake, I'm still breathing, so it's a good day.' I read that somewhere , and makes me smile as I stumble out of bed.

My two children are worried about getting ms. I really hope and pray that it doesn't happen, but if it does, I know there are a lot of good people out there that will help.

I have researched CCSVI. I wasn't convinced that it was for me. I look into it again, Thanks for responding.

Return to “Introductions”