Just had the last of my amalgam fillings removed yesterday. Don't know if it will help any, but even bounded up mercury can't be good for you. Anyone know of a natural way to help clear out any mercury that I may have ingested as part of the filling removal? (Dentist seemed careful, but there is always a chance I ended swallowing or breathing in a bit of the amalgam dust.)
You could get your levels tested by a company such as Doctor's Data
. Some naturopaths recommend a post challenge analysis, i.e., getting tested after taking a chelation agent. If you do this, the data will be plotted against reference values for the general population without a chelation agent and will be artificially high. Any interpretation of your results by Doctor's Data will be meaningless. I think that less than scrupulous naturapaths do this as a scare tactic. Anyways, if your prechallenge levels are high, then you could look into a detox/chelation therapy using meso-2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA). However, Frumkin, et al.
report that mercury is excreted from the body with a half-life of 1 to 2 months (the full paper is available for free). Still, if you've got a whole bunch in you, then it's probably best to get rid of it. A larger problem is lead. It accumulates and doesn't leave. It get's into your bones. There are techniques such as x-ray fluoresence which can measure bone lead. However, getting rid of lead is tricky business and is best done with the guidance of a knowledgeable doctor. If done incorrectly, chelation therapy can make one very sick.
Here are a series of papers that used DMSA in austistic children. They will give you some idea of what the process involves. All three papers are available for free.