fresh pineapple

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
pbcb8835

fresh pineapple

Post by pbcb8835 »

hi everyone! talked to the nurse about the avonex side effects, and they were not fun!! She told me to take pain medication 1 hour before my avonex injection, eat fresh(not canned) pineapple the day before my injection, the day of the injection, and the day after the injection, and to take a tylenol pm when I go to bed the day of the injection. Knock on wood, the symptoms are few! i don't know if its the pineapple or the tylenol pm but my symptoms are few!!!! Thanks to the nurse from avonex.
janr609
Getting to Know You...

Re: fresh pineapple

Post by janr609 »

i am starting next week, i hope i have the same results as you, i will try the pineapple...good to hear you are handling it well!
offroad44

Post by offroad44 »

I started Avonex in october, i follow the instructions the Avonex nurse gave me and and i have very few side effects, I take the medication out an hour before I inject it to bring it to room temp. , I drink plenty of water the whole day of the injection, i take ibuprofen an hour before and six hours after and I eat fresh pineapple that day when i have it. sometimes but not too much at night I get a slight fever but not bad and maybe a slight headache but the advil takes care of that. I do my injection about 4 hours before bedtime on sat. night so if i do have side effects its while Iam sleeping and I am off work the next day sunday.
I think the drinking a lot of water is the key,
hope it goes well for you
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I note that these are your first posts so I welcome you to ThisIsMS, pbcb8835 and offroad44.

Pineapple contains a substance called bromelain, which reduces inflammation and congestion. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, I believe; however, it is my understanding that Tylenol (acetaminophen) does not reduce inflammation. Perhaps it is bromelain's and ibuprofen's effect on inflammation that is reducing your side effects with Avonex.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Fashionistavon

Post by Fashionistavon »

Oh wow....I am going to try that. Thanks!

Return to “Introductions”