Results from our Red Wine experiment....

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
nagsy
Family Member

Results from our Red Wine experiment....

Post by nagsy »

Hello all,

Red Wine and the effects it has on my wifes arm spasms:

Results are as follows:

Zero glasses of red wine in the evening = definate spasms the next day
One glass of red wine in the evening = less spasms the next day
Two glasses of red wine in the evening = usually no spasms the next day
Three glasses of red wine in the evening = no spasms and general feeling of well-being the next day

Over the last few years my wife has tried Reservatol a number of times but each time within a day of starting it she would get numbness in either her hand or foot which would last a month or so.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what else is in Red Wine that could be making her feel better. My wife does not like drinking everyday, but when she misses a day she is back to square one in terms of spasms and general well-being.

Its seems to me that my wife is lacking a mineral or vitamin that is found in abundance in Red Wine.
Or are the blood-thinning properties of wine that profound that having only two glasses does the trick?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Pinda
Still fighting the fight!
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Pinda:

I cant for sure say if red wine help more than any other alcohol-fix. What I can tell is that my general spastic/stiffness/and even general mood is worse without alcohol. It might be that I am alcoholic - I can accept that and well; I haven't much left between my bed; and my wheelchair in front of my computer... So probably the booze is keeping me up..?

I love Cabernet-Sauvignon; but not from Gallo (California). Château Latour is great but a bit expensive here.

Otherwise I have my 2/3 beers a day and often Vodka/orange before meal; a Cognac (or similar) before sleep. I sleep like a baby, I don't have headache; and I feel fine.

As I use to tell the neurologist: "It's a shame I am sick because otherwise I feel great..."

Best to you - Be well!
jackD
Family Elder

tree juice (Pycnogenol)has it also. a flavonoid?

Post by jackD »

Pycnogenol has other GOOD effects for MS folks. I will start a new thread

jackD

Angiology. 2006 May-Jun;57(3):331-9.

Cramps and muscular pain: prevention with pycnogenol in normal subjects, venous patients, athletes, claudicants and in diabetic microangiopathy.
Vinciguerra G, Belcaro G, Cesarone MR, Rohdewald P, Stuard S, Ricci A, Di Renzo A, Hosoi M, Dugall M, Ledda A, Cacchio M, Acerbi G, Fano F.

Irvine 2 Vascular Laboratory and Physiology Department of Biomedical Sciences, G. D'Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy. cardres@abol.it

Abstract
The aim of this study was to assess the preventive action of Pycnogenol (Horphag Research Ltd, UK) on cramps and muscular pain in different groups of subjects and patients. The study included a 5-week observation period (4 weeks treatment and one follow-up week after the suspension of treatment) to evaluate the efficacy of Pycnogenol after its withdrawal. Four 50 mg capsules (total dose 200 mg/day) were prescribed with suggestion to drink at least 1.5 liters of water every day. In the first part of the study 66 healthy subjects completed a 5-week follow-up period.

The difference between number of cramps attacks recorded within the 2 weeks before inclusion and the number of episodes during the fourth (p <0.05) and fifth (p <0.05) week were statistically significant. In normal subjects the average number of episodes was reduced from 4.8 (1.2) events per week to 1.3 (1.1) at 4 weeks (p <0.05). In venous patients the decrease in events was from 6.3 (1.1) to 2.6 (0.4) per week (p <0.05). In athletes the number of episodes decreased from 8.6 (2) to 2.4 (0.5) (p <0.05). The decrease was still present at 5 weeks in the 3 groups, to levels significantly lower than inclusion values (p <0.05).

In the second part of the study, patients with intermittent claudication and diabetic microangiopathy were evaluated and treated (4 weeks). The groups treated with Pycnogenol and the control, placebo groups were comparable.

There was a significant decrease in the number of cramps episodes (p <0.05) and in the score concerning muscular pain (p <0.05) in claudicants and diabetics. No significant effects were observed in the placebo groups. In conclusion, cramps and muscular pain, common in these 2 types of patients, were decreased by the use of Pycnogenol.

Globally, these results suggest that the use of Pycnogenol prevents cramps, muscular pain at rest, and pain after/during exercise in normals, in athletes prone to cramps, in patients with venous disease, in claudicants, and in diabetics with microangiopathy.

The difference is statistically significant considering objective observations (cramps episodes) and evaluating more subjective aspects (score).

This indicates that Pycnogenol is effective in reducing pain and cramps during retraining and rehabilitation increasing its efficiency. In starting any physical rehabilitation program, particularly in vascular subjects, the limitation in mobility associated with muscular pain and with cramps tends to be relevant, and controlling these symptoms is useful to speed up the retraining process.

PMID: 16703193 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
nagsy
Family Member

Post by nagsy »

Algis wrote:Pinda:
Otherwise I have my 2/3 beers a day and often Vodka/orange before meal; a Cognac (or similar) before sleep. I sleep like a baby, I don't have headache; and I feel fine.
Wow - thats a mighty concoction to be having everyday, but I guess if it eases pain then why not.

We should be able to get some Château Latour over here in the UK - so might try some myself (and for my wife of course :wink: )

Cheers,

Pinda
Still fighting the fight!
yigalby
Getting to Know You...

Re: Results from our Red Wine experiment....

Post by yigalby »

how is it going with the red wine ?
grapes has a lot more than resveretrol alone..that what i think.

all the best
yigal
suze
Family Member

Re: Results from our Red Wine experiment....

Post by suze »

I've always privately felt that red wine is beneficial. It certainly doesn't do any harm. Only good red though. Try some West Australian red from Margaret River or Mt Barker, that is particularly good.