all things vitamin D

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

docs are so not interested in that kind of thing. people need to realize that it's their own job to stay well, doctors are only there to manage sick people, not make you better.
I hear that loud and clear, JL.
When I found my homeopathic/holistic/allopathic doc, I thought he would help me get well. I had to ask for every blood test I've had- no nutritional advice- as long as I can walk/talk/ and think, he seems satisfied not to advise me further. Maybe I shouldn't doubt him. Maybe the homeopathic remedy I take is all that I need, but I'm not convinced of that. Unfortunately, it would probably take another serious setback to get me out there looking for more professional help. Life is so busy. I guess it is for the docs as well.
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

I had my six month neuro check-up last week. Found it interesting that he is now asking all his patients to have a blood test for Vit D3 levels. I will get my results this week.

Sharon
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ya terry, same here. about the no advice, ordering own tests and all that. and i slack too, given that things aren't so bad right now. i'm trying to get back into a good discipline with everything, especially as we head into winter. just dropped off my latest mega d3 prescription at the pharmacy today.

glad to hear some of the docs are getting on board sharon!
Sharon
Family Elder

Vitamin D Levels

Post by Sharon »

a question for jimmylegs -

I have the report back on my vitamin D, 25-OH Levels. Results were 39 ng/ml - report says that anything over 30 ng/ml are optimal. What is the difference in the unit of measure used in my report to the unit of measure you used in a previous post?
vitamin d3 - get it up over 100 nmol/L.
you can do this in the long term by taking 4000IU per day. balance carefully with calcium (1200mg), magnesium(1200mg), and zinc(normally up to 50mg).
I'm confused :roll:

Sharon
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya sharon, the short answer is, multiply your ng/mL result by 2.496 to get nmol/L.

for anyone coming upon the subject cold, the useful link below accesses a number of useful conversion factors including vitamin d3 (two metabolites; we're interested in 25(OH) or 25hydroxy, of course) near the bottom:

SI Units for Clinical Data
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scale ... _data.html
vitamin d3:
ng/mL -> 2.496 -> nmol/L

sharon's lab's optimal 30+ ng/mL converts to only 75 nmol/L. that sounds like optimal from an musculoskeletal osteoporosis standpoint only, not an immune perspective.

that said, multiplying sharon's 39 ng/mL by 2.496 is 97 nmol/L. so, pretty close to 100 nmol/L! 100-250 is more in line with the immune system's "normal range". 150 nmol/L is a pretty good and safe starting sweet spot for optimizing the immune system's functionality.

150nmol/L / 2.496 = 60 ng/mL - so sharon it looks to me as though you are in good shape to keep on supplementing your socks off :)

**not forgetting** the importance of daily calcium, magnesium, and zinc. if you don't already do so, make sure your magnesium is split up through the day - some taken with d3, some taken on its own to facilitate other necessary biochemical interactions.

hope that helps :)
JL
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

funding a lab

Post by notasperfectasyou »

I'm in favor of us all pooling together a fund to build Jimmylegs a lab.
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

;) lol! cmon napay, i'm almost finished this degree don't make me start another one right away lol
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: funding a lab

Post by cheerleader »

notasperfectasyou wrote:I'm in favor of us all pooling together a fund to build Jimmylegs a lab.
Second!
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hehe ;) 'morning cheer
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Hey, thanks jl!

I think I will add one more 1000 mg D3 to my daily regimen. I do take the calcium and magnesium - probably should take a little more zinc.

I agree with notasperfectasyou
I'm in favor of us all pooling together a fund to build Jimmylegs a lab.
Have a great day everyone!

Sharon
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, you're very welcome! don't forget to take some mag on its own, away from the d3 :)

also, a quick caution on the zinc:

it's wise to get it tested before adding more to your current daily regimen. whatever you're currently getting may be sufficient.
once you have a result, see where you are compared to zinc status of female healthy controls (for table of healthy zinc ranges for females see thread: zinc, ms, boys, girls, controls). then you can go for that bit higher, if needed.
i was very deficient, was told to take 100mg per day for one month. i was more sporadic, taking none some days, 50mg some days, and 100mg other days, over three months, and that resulted in zinc excess. as you will note in the zinc ms boys girls thread if you are interested :)
Abe
Family Member

Vitamin D and the sun at noon

Post by Abe »

Interestingly it has been found that the best time to get UVB is around noon. Hopefully this is useful information for any of you who are lucky enough to live in a country with a reasonable climate and get your vitamin D naturally. Meanwhile I'll keep popping D3 pills in the gloomy UK!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ?source=nl

“Our recommendation, this is based on work in England and Norway, and the United States, that the optimal time to be in the sun for vitamin D production is near to solar noon as possible. That would be between say 10:00am and 2:00pm.

The reason is two-fold.

First of all, you need a shorter exposure time because the UVB is more intense.

Now, the second reason is that when the sun goes down towards the horizon, the UVB is filtered out much more than the UVA. And it turns out that the long wave of ultraviolet called UVA, which runs from about 320 to 400 nanometers, is highly correlated with melanoma -- where the UVB is the one that produces the vitamin D, and that’s from 290 to 315 nanometers,” Dr. Grant explains.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

good stuff abe
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Interesting, because this is exactly when dermatologists tell you to stay out of the sun! So again, less sunshine, less vitamin D.......more MS???? I always thought it didn't make sense to stay out of sunshine and I have always felt better with it. Everything is moderation....
Lori
LisaE

Post by LisaE »

Hi All,

My internist wanted my Vitamin D levels to be checked earlier this week and the results came in shockingly low.

The test was the 25(OH)D3.
The result was 7.8 ng/mL.

We're starting with 50,000 UL three times each week for a month. Followed by 50,000 UL once each week. We'll check levels again in two months and plan to continue higher supplementation for at least six months before moving to over-the-counter tabs.

Since this was completely new information, I looked up symptoms of low D levels and it reads just like how my MS has been behaving lately. LOL.

For those who have been deficient and raised their Vitamin D levels, how long did it take before your symptoms began to subside?

Any other words of advise?