zinc and MS

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Postby jimmylegs » Thu May 05, 2011 2:17 pm

hey there, first find out what your serum zinc is and then we can worry about daily intakes and toxicity! yes just ask the GP for a test. i'd be interested to see where you're at given the daily supp at 18mg.

if they want you to provide justification for requesting the test i can fire you a link with abstracts, it's around here somewhere i posted it for mirry to take to her doc back in 2010. he was impressed!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby HunnyBunny » Thu May 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks so much, I have an appt already with my GP for Monday so I'll ask then to get it done. And once I have the results, I'll post and we can discuss!

Thx again, and as always, wishing you well!
HunnyBunny
Family Member

Re: zinc and MS

Postby jackD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:20 am

jackD
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:07 am

The effect of severe zinc deficiency on serum levels of albumin, transferrin, and prealbumin in man.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/34/9/1655.short
Abstract
Concentrations of three serum transport proteins, albumin, transferrin, and prealbumin, were determined in seven patients with severe zinc deficiency. Zinc deficiency was manifested not only by depressed serum zinc concentrations, but also by skin lesions typical of zinc deficiency that corrected with zinc supplementation only. Concentrations of all three serum proteins were significantly depressed in zinc-deficient patients compared to healthy controls, and levels of all three proteins improved or corrected with a short period of zinc supplementation as the sole form of therapeutic intervention. Prealbumin levels dropped and corrected most rapidly, probably due in part to its short half-life of 2 days. This study demonstrates that zinc plays an important role in protein metabolism in man and is necessary for the maintenance of normal levels of certain transport proteins. These results support the possibility that zinc deficiency may alter tissue availability of other nutrients such as vitamin A or iron through its effect on transport proteins.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:08 am

Zinc or Copper Deficiency-Induced Impaired Inflammatory Response to Brain Trauma May Be Caused by the Concomitant Metallothionein Changes
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10 ... LGO%2CJuan)
The role of zinc- and copper-deficient diets on the inflammatory response to traumatic brain injury (TBI) has been evaluated in adult rats. As expected, zinc deficiency decreased food intake and body weight gain, and the latter effect was higher than that observed in pair-fed rats. In noninjured brains, zinc deficiency only affected significantly lectin (increasing) and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) and Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase (Cu,Zn-SOD) (decreasing) immunoreactivities (irs). In injured brains, a profound gliosis was observed in the area surrounding the lesion, along with severe damage to neurons as indicated by neuron specific enolase (NSE) ir, and the number of cells undergoing apoptosis (measured by TUNEL) was dramatically increased. Zinc deficiency significantly altered brain response to TBI, potentiating the microgliosis and reducing the astrogliosis, while increasing the number of apoptotic cells. Metallothioneins (MTs) are important zinc- and copper-binding proteins in the CNS, which could influence significantly the brain response to TBI because of their putative roles in metal homeostasis and antioxidant defenses. MT-I + II expression was dramatically increased by TBI, and this response was significantly blunted by zinc deficiency. The MT-III isoform was moderately increased by both TBI and zinc deficiency. TBI strongly increased oxidative stress levels, as demonstrated by malondialdehyde (MDA), protein tyrosine nitration (NITT), and nuclear factor κB (NF-κB) levels irs, all of which were potentiated by zinc deficiency. Further analysis revealed unbalanced expression of prooxidant and antioxidant proteins besides MT, since the levels of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and Cu,Zn-SOD were increased and decreased, respectively, by zinc deficiency. All these effects were attributable to zinc deficiency, since pair-fed rats did not differ from normally fed rats. In general, copper deficiency caused a similar pattern of responses, albeit more moderate. Results obtained in mice with a null mutation for the MT-I + II isoforms strongly suggest that most of the effects observed in the rat brain after zinc and copper deficiencies are attributable to the concomitant changes in the MT expression.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby THX1138 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:11 pm

I am assuming that this thread is the equivalent of "All things Zinc".

Interaction among niacin, vitamin B6 and zinc in rats receiving ethanol. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3804611
THX1138
Family Elder

Previous

Return to Natural Approach