Magnesium the neglected mineral

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Magnesium the neglected mineral

Post by NHE »

The People's Pharmacy recently interviewed Dr. Carolyn Dean author of The Magnesium Miracle discussing the benefits of magnesium and proper test levels.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/11/ ... d-mineral/

The full interview will be freely available for the next 6 weeks.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/peoplespharmacy/PP-969mag.mp3
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Magnesium the neglected mineral

Post by jimmylegs »

thanks for this NHE

i listened to check if there was still the weirdness going on over the relative value of serum mag vs rbc mag. yep, rbc still plugged as more accurate even though the immediate follow up is 'oh and by the way the range for rbc mag is bad too so don't listen to *that* result but aim for this narrower target within rbc mag normal range'.

consider that the original case for rbc mag being better is simply that rbc mag can be low while serum mag is normal. well if your mag can be low while rbc mag is normal anyway, then i don't see how rbc mag is of any more value than serum mag. especially when serum mag testing clearly shows the differences in levels between patients and healthy controls in multiple studies.

so. for anyone who is interested in mag testing where expense is an issue, i suspect that in most places serum mag testing is cheaper than rbc mag testing, and you can still look at an optimal zone within a wider less accurate range.

if testing is not an option, you can evaluate your diet and see how your intake stacks up against recommended daily amounts, and how your lifestyle might affect absorption and/or retention of the mag you do get. it's an important one for sure! not to be neglected.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Stillhaha
Family Member

Post by Stillhaha »

Dr Dean sells a magnesium supplement named RNA drops. It is made from fermented oats. My "subscription" became too costly. Now, I take a normal pill vitamin.
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

a normal pill vitamin? you mean a multi that contains mag? or a mag pill? if a mag pill, what form are you currently using, iima?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Stillhaha wrote:Dr Dean sells a magnesium supplement named RNA drops. It is made from fermented oats. My "subscription" became too costly. Now, I take a normal pill vitamin.
I have taken Dr. Dean's magnesium supplement (ReMag) and I like it, very good at not causing stool softening. To try to save some money, I am going to see how it compares to Mg oil and foot soaks. I will be continuing with the ReLyte, though.