Glucosamine-like supplement looks interesting

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Glucosamine-like supplement looks interesting

Post by TwistedHelix »

I love it when a simple, oral dietary supplement looks like it might be useful in the fight against MS. I found this on 'Eurekalert':

tmvasich@uci.edu <mailto:tmvasich@uci.edu>
949-824-6455
University of California - Irvine <http://www.uci.edu>
Glucosamine-like supplement inhibits multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes
Metabolic therapy shows promise for treating autoimmune diseases, UC Irvine study finds
Irvine, Calif., May 14, 2007 - A glucosamine-like dietary supplement has been found to suppress the damaging autoimmune response seen in multiple sclerosis and type-1 diabetes mellitus, according to University of California, Irvine health sciences researchers.
In studies on mice, Dr. Michael Demetriou and colleagues with the UC Irvine Center for Immunology found that N-acetylglucosamine (GlcNAc), which is similar but more effective than the widely available glucosamine, inhibited the growth and function of abnormal T-cells that incorrectly direct the immune system to attack specific tissues in the body, such as brain myelin in MS and insulin-producing cells of the pancreas in diabetes. Study results appear on the online version of the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
"This finding shows the potential of using a dietary supplement to help treat autoimmune diseases," said Demetriou, an assistant professor of neurology, and microbiology and molecular genetics. "Most importantly, we understand how this sugar-based supplement inhibits the cells that attack the body, making metabolic therapy a rational approach to prevent or treat these debilitating diseases."
The UC Irvine study defines how metabolic therapy with the sugar GlcNAc and other related nutrients modifies the growth and autoimmune activitiy of T-cells. Virtually all proteins on the surface of cells, including T-cells, are modified with complex sugars of variable lengths and composition. Recent studies have shown that changes in these sugars are often associated with T-cell hyperactivity and autoimmune disease.
In mouse models of both MS and type 1 diabetes, Demetriou and colleages found that GlcNAc prevented this hyperactivity and autoimmune response by increasing sugar modifications to the T-cell proteins. This therapy normalized T-cell function and prevented development of paralysis in MS and high blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetes.
This study comes on the heels of others showing the potential of GlcNAc in humans. One previous clinical study reported that 8 of 12 children with treatment-resistant autoimmune inflammatory bowel disease improved significantly following two years of treatment with GlcNAc. No significant adverse side effects were noted.
"Together, these findings identify metabolic therapy using dietary supplements such as GlcNAc as potential treatments for autoimmune diseases." Demetriou said. "Excitement for this treatment strategy stems from the novel mechanism for affecting T-cell function and autoimmunity and the availability and simplicity of its use. However, additional studies in humans will be required to assess the full potential of this therapeutic approach."
Autoimmune diseases such as MS and type 1 diabetes mellitus result from poorly understood interactions between inherited genetic risk and environmental exposure. MS results in neurological dysfunction, while uncontrolled blood glucose in type 1 diabetes can lead to damage of multiple organs.
###
Ani Grigorian, Sung-Uk Lee, Wenqiang Tian, I-Ju Chen and Guoyan Gao of UC Irvine and Richard Mendelsohn and James W. Dennis of the Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute in Toronto participated in the study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the Wadsworth Foundation and the Canadian Institutes for Health Research.
About the University of California, Irvine: The University of California, Irvine is a top-ranked university dedicated to research, scholarship and community service. Founded in 1965, UCI is among the fastest-growing University of California campuses, with more than 25,000 undergraduate and graduate students and about 1,800 faculty members. The second-largest employer in dynamic Orange County, UCI contributes an annual economic impact of $3.7 billion. For more UCI news, visit www.today.uci.edu <http://www.today.uci.edu>.
Television: UCI has a broadcast studio available for live or taped interviews. For more information, visit www.today.uci.edu/broadcast <http://www.today.uci.edu/broadcast>.
News Radio: UCI maintains on campus an ISDN line for conducting interviews with its faculty and experts. The use of this line is available free-of-charge to radio news programs/stations who wish to interview UCI faculty and experts. Use of the ISDN line is subject to availability and approval by the university.
NOTE TO EDITORS: Photo available at http://today.uci.edu/news/release_detail.asp"key=1612 <http://today.uci.edu/news/release_detail.asp>
UCI maintains an online directory of faculty available as experts to the media. To access, visit www.today.uci.edu/experts <http://www.today.uci.edu/experts>.
Dom
beyondms
Family Member

Post by beyondms »

I saw this today and found it interesting. I was once on glucosamine but it upset my stomach. This is a derivative of glucosamine. Does anyone know where we can buy it?

beyondms
connieb
Family Member

Post by connieb »

I think I'll try Organika's NAG from healthmart2000.com-- I want to be just as healthy as all those lucky rodents out there! My next question would be the dosage? But I guess I'll have to wait a few more years while they find out how this supplement works... with Copaxone, of course . :wink:
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

This is the human study of inflamatory bowel disease that the above article referes to:
link
Actually it is from 2000, which is another proof for how damn long it takes to investigate an unprofitable agent.

The given dose of GlcNAc was 3-6g/day.

--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Jim_P
Family Member

I am now a willing self-made lab rat

Post by Jim_P »

I have found this glucosamine variety at ultimateglucosamine.com

They have a link of one distributer.

Today I just got two jars of Ultimate Glubosamine (n-acetylglucosamine form) in the mail. The same variety given to those mice. I could not find this ANYWHERE else but the website I mentioned above. This is my first day trying it.

I have mixed one teaspoon (as directed) in my tea tonight (tasted quite good) and have consumed it. The only mild side effect I've noticed thus far is feeling a tiny bit anxious and a little hyper. That is passing now.

I plan on upping my dosage to two teaspoons a day after a week of trying the recommended amount... that is unless I have any adverse effects to this.

I will keep you all posted on this and let you know if I start urinating again LOL!

But seriously, I will keep you posted on my bodies reaction to this and if I see any improvement.

I realize that one person is not exactly a trial study, but I will let you know regardless.

It did say if one is allergic to shelfish to not take it. Thankfully I'm not.
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

Hi Jim,

thanks for keeping us updated on your progress - good luck!
Just to post one alterative source for buying NAG:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.asp ... d=131&at=0

--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Glucosamine-like supplement

Post by NHE »

For what it's worth, Vitamin Shoppe also carries a couple of different brands.

Link

NHE