It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 7:39 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Vibrogym/power plate/vibrating platforms

Hi folks

Has anyone had any experience of using these?

I had a few sessions and the first was the most effective. Since then the impact has not been the same. :?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been using one of these machines for a while......

Thanks

J
Read more : Vibrogym/power plate/vibrating platforms | Views : 1500 | Replies : 2

VZV vaccination useful for MS?

Hello,

in the context of possible viral causes/triggers of MS, would you think that it might be usefull for me to get a VZV vaccination?

Though I'm already infected with VZV, the vaccine showed, that it lowers the severety of a new active VZV infection.

Thanks for your suggestions.
--Frank
Read more : VZV vaccination useful for MS? | Views : 1154 | Replies : 2

Herpes viruses again

Human endogenous retroviruses are ancient fragments of viral DNA which have become part of our own DNA, and have been linked to the development of MS. So have various herpes viruses. This team has discovered that even inactive herpes viruses can activate these ancient genes in white blood cells. Herpes simplex -1, (the cold sore virus), and human herpes virus -6 produce a time-limited response, while the Varicella-zoster virus, (chicken pox/ shingles), produces a sustained ...
Read more : Herpes viruses again | Views : 1160 | Replies : 0

Blocking VLA-2 doesn't encourage PML.

The problem with drugs like Tysabri is that they not only prevent white blood cells from crossing the blood brain barrier and causing harm, they prevent them crossing and doing good things, like keeping viruses and PML in check.
This team took a different approach by blocking a molecule which interacts with the extracellular matrix, (basically, parts of tissue which are not part of the cell), and thus, so long as they get the timing ...
Read more : Blocking VLA-2 doesn't encourage PML. | Views : 978 | Replies : 0

Non-infectious contributions to MS

It hadn't occurred to me before that smoking might be a risk factor which could explain the increase of MS in women, (in the UK at least, women and young girls smoke far more than men and boys). I would have thought it should be fairly easy to correlate the figures. Sunlight exposure, along with the myriad other non infectious environmental conditions, will be harder to quantify.
This from PubMed:

Environmental risk factors for multiple ...
Read more : Non-infectious contributions to MS | Views : 942 | Replies : 0

Phase II High-Dose Cyclophosphamide for Multiple Sclerosis

I can't help digging around in the information regarding "resetting" the immune system. I find it darned interesting. Notice who they are recruiting in this trial....
Bob

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00296205?order=5

Inclusion Criteria:

* Diagnosis of secondary progressive (SPMS), primary progressive (PPMS) or progressive relapsing (PRMS) multiple sclerosis
* A diagnosis of MS will be established by fulfilling criteria “Recommended Diagnostic Criteria for Multiple Sclerosis: Guidelines from the Internal Panel on ...
Read more : Phase II High-Dose Cyclophosphamide for Multiple Sclerosis | Views : 963 | Replies : 0

Possible Viral Causes of MS

Must read very interesting stuff here.

<shortened url>
Read more : Possible Viral Causes of MS | Views : 1819 | Replies : 9

Damage to nerve fibres

Bruce Trapp's work is viewed as cutting edge. It was his work in the late 1990s that showed that it was the damage to axons (nerve fibres) that caused disability rather than just de-myelination.

Ian

Nerve Fibres are Severed by Inflammation in MS Lesions, Leading to Permanent Disabilities

Bruce Trapp, PhD––Cleveland Clinic, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland, Ohio

Background

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic, disabling neurodegenerative disease. It strikes most often during early adulthood, and ...
Read more : Damage to nerve fibres | Views : 1578 | Replies : 6

white matter

The brain discoveries continue...

Brain's white matter -- More 'talkative' than once thought

Johns Hopkins scientists have discovered to their surprise that nerves in the mammalian brain’s white matter do more than just ferry information between different brain regions, but in fact process information the way gray matter cells do.

The discovery in mouse cells, outlined in the cover story of the March issue of Nature Neuroscience, shows that brain cells “talk” with each other ...
Read more : white matter | Views : 1019 | Replies : 0

Pioglitazone / reduction of brain atrophy

Hey,

The brain atrophy impact seems to be a very positive element and very consistent with the previous case-study where PIO was used for a person with progressive MS. Hopefully there will be continuation on this research.

Best Regards,
Degerlache

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results of a Phase I Trial of Pioglitazone in RRMS Patients

Claudia Kaiser, Dinesh Shukla, Glenn Stebbins, Demetrios Skias, George Katsamakis, Hoffman Estates, IL, Dusan Stefoski, Douglas Jeffery, Winston Salem, NC, Douglas L. Feinstein, ...
Read more : Pioglitazone / reduction of brain atrophy | Views : 1295 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 225673 • Total topics 23674 • Total members 15029

Contact us | Terms of Service