It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:42 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

1993 Kurtzke paper "Multiple Sclerosis as an Infection&

It seems to me that Dr Kurtzke has done more than anyone in generating and compiling MS data and trying to arrange it in a way as to make sense of a historically nonsensible situation.

Even though this paper is dated (1993) and the data used is even more dated, it seems to me that anyone affected with MS should take the time to read this one, if for no better reason than to gain ...
Read more : 1993 Kurtzke paper "Multiple Sclerosis as an Infection& | Views : 1014 | Replies : 0

Genetics

Interesting genetics of MS study. I expect Bromley might have something to say about this as I think part of his personal team of world-leading neurologists is involved...

A second major histocompatibility complex susceptibility locus for multiple sclerosis.

Ann Neurol. 2007 Jan 24;
Yeo TW, De Jager PL, Gregory SG, Barcellos LF, Walton A, Goris A, Fenoglio C, Ban M, Taylor CJ, Goodman RS, Walsh E, Wolfish CS, Horton R, Traherne ...
Read more : Genetics | Views : 1097 | Replies : 3

Antibodies to myelin

Antibodies to Myelin Don't Signal MS

By Neil Osterweil, Senior Associate Editor, MedPage Today
Reviewed by Rubeen K. Israni, M.D., Fellow, Renal-Electrolyte and Hypertension Division, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
January 24, 2007

Basel, Switzerland, Jan. 24 -- Contrary to a previous report, the presence in the blood of two types of antibodies to myelin is not diagnostic of multiple sclerosis, investigators here reported.

Nor does the presence of the antibodies indicate a risk ...
Read more : Antibodies to myelin | Views : 4451 | Replies : 39

Dating Challenges

hello to all,

while i've posted a few comments, i've probably been more of an observer...i've read a lot of poignant and touching comments by many members and thought i would vent a little bit. i am a thirty-something year old guy who had one significnat attack about 2 years ago. i was pretty sick for about a year, but eventyually slowly recovered. these days, i've been pretty fortunate in that i only have a ...
Read more : Dating Challenges | Views : 1446 | Replies : 4

St Jude study

Chopping Off Protein Puts Immune Cells Into High Gear

St. Jude study shows LAG-3 protein on activated T lymphocytes slows replication until ADAM10 and ADAM17 enzymes cleave it off to allow these cells to reproduce rapidly

MEMPHIS, Tenn., Jan. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- The complex task of launching a well-organized, effective immune system attack on specific targets is thrown into high gear when either of two specific enzymes chop a protein called LAG-3 off the immune ...
Read more : St Jude study | Views : 811 | Replies : 0

neat serotonin info

http://www.nutritional-healing.com.au/content/articles-content.php?heading=Serotonin%20deficiency

Serotonin deficiency
Serotonin deficiency signs/symptoms:
Depressed
Nervous/worrier/can’t relax
Fears/phobias
Negative/pessimistic
Irritable/impatient/edgy
Obsessive compulsive tendency
Self destructive or suicidal thoughts/plans
Low self esteem/confidence
Rage/anger/explosive/assaultive
Sleep problems/light sleeper
Feel worse in & dislike dark weather
Crave sugar/carbs/salt/alcohol/marijuana
-These substances relax you
Chronic pain (e.g. headaches, backaches, fibomyalgia)
PMS
Antidepressants or 5-HTP improve mood
Serotonin levels may be low due to a combination of genetic and acquired reasons. Serotonin can be raised effectively using either nutrient based ...
Read more : neat serotonin info | Views : 960 | Replies : 2

Disclosure

I am new to the board and MS (diagnosed 11/16/06 within 2wks of my 1st symptom), my question is who do you tell you have MS and when. I have made some logical judgement calls (Immediate family.In-laws, anyone who may have to take care of my son (2 1/2) - Daycare, emergency pick up people, all of my physicians), but am unsure from there. A cousin of mine has MS. He is a second cousin ...
Read more : Disclosure | Views : 1452 | Replies : 8

arrggh HELP!

So, a little background. I am a 27 yr old Male who started taking Avonex last year, I had one very severe attack in August 05 after critical lung surgery (do not smoke people, haha) where i was left without use to the left side of my body. But since then I have been a picture of health. For certain people's comfort of mind, since I got diagnosed I have met the most beautiful woman ...
Read more : arrggh HELP! | Views : 1098 | Replies : 2

New treatments unlikely in the UK

Well, whatever anyone thinks about the so-called "free" health service in the UK, it seems unlikely that anybody using the UK NHS will receive any of the new treatments in the offing because they will all be too expensive according to my neurologist. Great. I went in to see him yesterday and we discussed Tysabri which will definitely not be bought in England since Scotland can't afford it and they're the spendthrifts in our crazy ...
Read more : New treatments unlikely in the UK | Views : 1552 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 222328 • Total topics 23091 • Total members 14618

Contact us | Terms of Service