It is currently Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:34 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Reaching the "tipping point"

What is that you ask? I have recently been wondering why in the hell a simple foot injury (a neuroma) would be having such a profound effect on my psyche. I have this foot problem that I probably got from working out (according to my DPM) and it has caused me to slow down and walk without putting weight on the ball of my right foot. It is temporary and I know it, but for ...
Read more : Reaching the "tipping point" | Views : 2225 | Replies : 12

Anyone taking Rituxan?

Just moved north and my new neurologist, who seems like a sharp fellow, was telling me very hopeful things about Genentech's Rituxan. Anyone taking this cancer drug to treat their MS? I've been on Tysabri for 9 or 10 infusions and, unlike those who have benefited from it, feel I've gone downhill rather significantly. Think I might switch drugs...
Read more : Anyone taking Rituxan? | Views : 1231 | Replies : 0

insulin

Interesting...

Reducing insulin signaling in the brain can prolong lifespan

July 19, 2007 -- One route to a long and healthy life may be establishing the right balance in insulin signaling between the brain and the rest of the body, according to new research from Children's Hospital Boston. The study, published in the July 20 issue of Science, not only reinforces the value of exercising and eating in moderation, but also helps explain a paradox ...
Read more : insulin | Views : 1409 | Replies : 2

new brain scanner

We need better brain scanning technology, so I'm happy about this:

A Better Brain Scanner

New brain scanners promise to deliver images of higher resolution than any now available from a commercial instrument. By using multiple sensors placed close to the head, the device can generate accurate images in less time, which could ultimately aid in the diagnosis of diseases such as Alzheimer's and epilepsy. Medical imaging giant Siemens is developing a commercial version of ...
Read more : new brain scanner | Views : 975 | Replies : 0

TALKING ABOUT BRAIN CANDY

I'm not certain that any of this has to do with MS but some interesting brain stuff from Discover Magazine....my long time fav! http://discovermagazine.com/topics/mind-brain
Bob
Read more : TALKING ABOUT BRAIN CANDY | Views : 1038 | Replies : 0

The Return Of The Astrocytes!

No, it's not a cheap science fiction film: it's the revival of a long forgotten suggestion that these cells may have an important role to play in MS, as agents of both damage and repair:

Astrocytes-Friends or foes in multiple sclerosis?

Williams A, Piaton G, Lubetzki C.

Inserm, U711, Université Pierre and Marie Curie, Faculté de médecine, IFR 70, Paris F‐75013, France.

In multiple sclerosis (MS), the presence of demyelinating plaques has concentrated researchers' minds ...
Read more : The Return Of The Astrocytes! | Views : 1449 | Replies : 7

Parasitic worms and inflammatory diseases

Despite the fact that it must infuriate Ian, Cambridge is also one of the leading research centers investigating the relationship between the loss of evolutionary normal conditions and the subsequent rise in incidence of inflammatory diseases.
Bob

Full access to the article: http://tinyurl.com/388em3
Read more : Parasitic worms and inflammatory diseases | Views : 1163 | Replies : 2

MS symptoms by AGE

I was clinically diagnosed with MS in January 2007.
However, for the past few years it was considered "possible MS".

I've had random symptoms for years, ever since i can remember - but never would I have thought it was MS because I did not know anything about it.

So now I have it - and am being treated with various medications - AVONEX specifically for MS.

What I really want to know is - ...
Read more : MS symptoms by AGE | Views : 1948 | Replies : 6

EGFR and remyelination

Discovery Of Brain Protein Has Major Implications For Repairing Brain Damage In Newborns
11 Jul 2007 - 2:00 PDT

Scientists at Children's National Medical Center have demonstrated conclusively that a specific protein and its signaling activity are instrumental in myelination and remyelination, processes essential to the creation and repair of the brain's white matter. This groundbreaking discovery in mouse models points the way to developing treatments or interventions to enhance healthy brain development and/or brain ...
Read more : EGFR and remyelination | Views : 888 | Replies : 0

Which T cell types drive the autoimmune response?

Although the focus of their research sounds interesting it's a little bothersome that their photo subject of MS is in a wheelchair and the photo labeled "Multiple sclerosis".

Not that people with MS don't end up in wheel chairs but it's not as inevitable as their use of the picture makes it seem.
http://www.spiritindia.com/health-care- ... 11391.html
Bob
Read more : Which T cell types drive the autoimmune response? | Views : 1021 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 227059 • Total topics 23943 • Total members 15214

Contact us | Terms of Service