It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:12 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Kaleidascope/blind spot in right eye

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and have been doing great so far, MS-wise.

Just noticed with shock that I can't see properly in my right eye.
At first I thought I'd looked at something that had dazzled my eye, then I realised the vision is gone in a small central spot.
Then all around the spot it's gone like a moving kaleidascope.....very exciting altogether 8O (not!).

Now ...
Read more : Kaleidascope/blind spot in right eye | Views : 4492 | Replies : 29

water exercise device

hi all,

i've been attempting to exercise again with some hits and misses. awhile back, i thought i saw a posting or a link regarding a equipment to wear while trying to do some cardio while in the pool. does anyone have any info on it or other pool/water cardio equipment?

thanks in advance,

Read more : water exercise device | Views : 1440 | Replies : 8

MS burden of disease

Hi to all,

Does anyone have statistics on the burden of disease for MS? That is, what is the dollar cost to society for someone with MS -- lost wages, medical care, etc.
Read more : MS burden of disease | Views : 1344 | Replies : 2

Have anyone used Botox for Spasticity

I recently found this article in MSRC website

Also our neurologist had suggested that Botox is a very good treatment for people with severe Spasticity & said that one dosage would be enough for a patient to be free of Spasticity for up to 6 months.

I would like to know the experience of others in case if they had used Botox

Thanks in Advance,
Read more : Have anyone used Botox for Spasticity | Views : 1513 | Replies : 2

MS Gene Discovery

Fingers crossed this will lead to a better future for us all:

Multiple Sclerosis Gene Discovery First Major Genetic Advance in 30 Years
July 30, 2007 — The discovery of a new gene linked to multiple sclerosis (MS) marks the first major genetic advance in the disease in more than 30 years and may pave the way for future research and treatment options.
Two separate but related studies published online July 29 in Nature Genetics ...
Read more : MS Gene Discovery | Views : 964 | Replies : 0

Deciding whether or not to have another child...

Hi Everyone,

I never thought that i would be on a ms forum asking this question to a group of people that i don't know but unfortunately i have something in common with.

We have got 2 beautiful children but we always thought that we would have 3. Now a spanner has been thrown in the works as ms has decided to "wake up" after the birth of my second son. I have probably had ...
Read more : Deciding whether or not to have another child... | Views : 1474 | Replies : 4

walking adaptations

This is an interesting discovery.

New research discovers independent brain networks control human walking

In a study published in the August issue of Nature Neuroscience, researchers at the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, Maryland found that there are separate adaptable networks controlling each leg and there are also separate networks controlling leg movements, e.g., forward or backward walking.

These findings are contrary to the currently accepted theory that leg movements and adaptations are directed by ...
Read more : walking adaptations | Views : 1611 | Replies : 3

Dumb men get more tired

Does anyone get this? After talking about lesion load and brain atrophy in relation to fatigue, they suddenly conclude that higher education is protective against fatigue, or being female, so what hope is there for us stupid men? ;
Related Articles

Correlation between fatigue and brain atrophy and lesion load in multiple sclerosis patients independent of disability.

J Neurol Sci. 2007 Jul 31;

Authors: Tedeschi G, Dinacci D, Lavorgna L, Prinster A, Savettieri G, Quattrone ...
Read more : Dumb men get more tired | Views : 995 | Replies : 0

" UFO drugs"

This abstract ties together a number of common themes, and I particularly liked the idea that this reaction can resemble the effect of genetic mutations. Looks like the drugs are already being used for some diseases:

Inflammatory Mediators Leading to Protein Misfolding and Uncompetitive/Fast Off-Rate Drug Therapy for Neurodegenerative Disorders.
Int Rev Neurobiol. 2007;82C:1-27
Authors: Lipton SA, Gu Z, Nakamura T
Inflammatory mediators, including free radicals such as nitric oxide (NO) and reactive oxygen species ...
Read more : " UFO drugs" | Views : 1329 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Total posts 227739 • Total topics 24057 • Total members 15406

Contact us | Terms of Service