It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:44 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Two papers on Vit D

1,25 Dihydroxyvitamin-D3 modulates JAK-STAT pathway in IL-12/IFNgamma axis leading to Th1 response in experimental allergic encephalomyelitis.

Muthian G, Raikwar HP, Rajasingh J, Bright JJ.
Department of Neurology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) is a Th1 cell-mediated autoimmune disease model of multiple sclerosis (MS). Vitamin D deficiency is commonly observed in MS patients and vitamin D supplements reduce the clinical symptoms of EAE and MS. Earlier studies have shown that ...
Read more : Two papers on Vit D | Views : 2101 | Replies : 15

Remyelination in THREE animal models?

I've just seen this on 'Acorda's' website, under "pipeline/R&d". It mentions three different animal models of MS, but I've only ever heard of EAE. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Dom.

" Acorda’s remyelination programs include two distinct therapeutic approaches to stimulate repair of the damaged myelin sheath Myelin is the insulating layer of membranes that surrounds most nerve fibers. When an axon is demyelinated, nerve impulses “short circuit” much like a wire whose insulation ...
Read more : Remyelination in THREE animal models? | Views : 1456 | Replies : 7

MBP8298 for the treatment of secondary progressive MS

Today, I was offered the opportunity to enroll in the BioMS study looking at the effects of MBP8298 for the treatment of secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Given that I have slowly but surely progressed in the last few years, I see little options. Let me know what you think.

thanks,

beyondms
Read more : MBP8298 for the treatment of secondary progressive MS | Views : 1467 | Replies : 7

turmeric

January 14, 2007

Spice Healer

An ingredient in curry shows promise for treating Alzheimer's, cancer and other diseases

By Gary Stix

Searching for new drugs by milling through ancient folk pharmacopoeia or by just picking a plant while walking in the woods has a decidedly checkered history. Many well-established therapeutic compounds originated in trees, shrubs, mollusks, even dirt. Aspirin came from willow bark, cholesterol-lowering statins from a mold, and the antimalarial artemisinin from a shrub ...
Read more : turmeric | Views : 886 | Replies : 1

LC and acidophilus

LC how are you doing now that you're on the acidophilus? any improvement?
Read more : LC and acidophilus | Views : 1022 | Replies : 2

Stem Cells Regenerate Damaged Nerves

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene ... ne&storyID
=2007-01-17T152054Z_01_WEN2290_RTRUKOC_0_US-GERON.xml&
WTmodLoc=%22Home-R2-newsOne-4

Stem cells nurture damaged spine: study
Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:21 AM ET

BOSTON (Reuters) - Human embryonic stem cells can help regenerate damaged nerves in rats, producing compounds that
nurture nerve cells and stimulate the growth of new ones, Geron Corp. said on Wednesday.

The company's stock rose on the news, published in the journal Stem Cells and Development.

Geron had earlier reported ...
Read more : Stem Cells Regenerate Damaged Nerves | Views : 866 | Replies : 0

Gait disorders

Not quite sure what is being trialled!

Victhom Human Bionics announces the start of patient enrolment for its Neurostep(TM) clinical trial

Victhom Human Bionics Inc. announces today that it received approval from the Ethics Review Board of the rehabilitation center where its clinical trial on gait disorders will be held. The Company received its Investigational Testing Authorization in December 2006 from Health Canada. The Neurostep(TM) is designed to treat, through neuromodulation, gait disorders (e.g., ...
Read more : Gait disorders | Views : 925 | Replies : 0

Parasites - one for Lyon

Parasitic infection is found to benefit MS patients

Patients with multiple sclerosis who also happen to have an intestinal parasite appear to have significantly fewer relapses and better outcomes than other MS patients, a new study found.

The finding suggests that when the body's immune system is occupied with an external threat, it might be less likely to misfire, which happens in conditions known as autoimmune disorders. Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disorder that ...
Read more : Parasites - one for Lyon | Views : 7037 | Replies : 52

Provigil - Things you learn when without

The Curascript folks are late again. Last time it was with the Copaxone and this time with Provigil. We've been 3 days now without Provigial and it has clearly started to impact walking, balance and (logically) energy.

This morning we got a few samples from our neuro and .... Wham! Everything is back. Clearly it's not a cure, but it does help get through from day to day and somehow it's helping with balance.

Wondering ...
Read more : Provigil - Things you learn when without | Views : 1561 | Replies : 4

Questions from a newly diagnosed person....

At the beginning of Nov '06, I woke up one day with numbness in my legs, they worked fine, they were just numb. I thought I had possibly slept wrong etc.... But after a few days I mentioned it to my husband and he insisted I see my doctor. After meeting with my doctor, and having her consult a neurologist it was decided that blood work and an MRI would be done ASAP. When I ...
Read more : Questions from a newly diagnosed person.... | Views : 3484 | Replies : 11

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 222284 • Total topics 23086 • Total members 14616

Contact us | Terms of Service