It is currently Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:49 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

My first race on Copaxone

Today I ran my first race, a 5K, while on Copaxone. I noticed no difference between now and my last race prior to the beginning of my treatment. My legs don't feel quite the same as they used to(years ago) but it could just be lack of training. I ran to a third place finish overall(out of 170) around 19:00 on a hilly and windy course.

I had, and have on training runs, the most ...
Read more : My first race on Copaxone | Views : 1451 | Replies : 2

MS Fatigue and weight gain

Hi Guys

I, like many others, suffer from severe fatigue. It can be totally debilitating and I hate it. My neuro prescribed Provigil (AC, I know your hubby swears by it) and I tried it a few times. All it did was make me dizzy and vomit - so badly that my L'Hermittes set off a temporary but total paralysis in my rt arm (have to have your head bent forward to puke!) and this ...
Read more : MS Fatigue and weight gain | Views : 1923 | Replies : 5

Low body temperature - MS related or just a quirk?

I have noticed that I have a very low body temperature recently - about 35.4-35.9 C over the last few weeks. It has had big dips in the past too and I've noticed that this can be when I'm very tired. Could this be any way related to an MS-lesion or does this strike anyone else out there as signficant? Perhaps just one of those quirks ....
Read more : Low body temperature - MS related or just a quirk? | Views : 18613 | Replies : 42

Anaesthetic Question

I am scheduled to have surgery on Monday. When I went to the pre-op clinic yesterday, I was told that I had conflicting anaesthetic conditions.
The two choices are either a general anaesthetic or a spinal anaesthetic.

I have sleep apnea which indicates that I should not be given general anaesthetic if possible.

I also have RRMS. They said that old conventional wisdom, not actually proven and currently disputed, suggested that spinal anaesthetic could cause ...
Read more : Anaesthetic Question | Views : 1588 | Replies : 2

Girlfriend keeps pushing me away

Hello,

It all started last last January when she was diagnosed with MS. Since then the relationship has been rocky. She is very distanced and constantly pushing me away. Just a few days ago she told me she doesnt want to be a burden on me in the later years so she thought it was best to break up. I love her more than anything. Is there any hope of her coming out of this ...
Read more : Girlfriend keeps pushing me away | Views : 3311 | Replies : 6

caffeine

Firstly, stop reading this right now and go make some coffee...ok? now read on...oh, and maybe this has something to do with why statins might help in MS?

Daily caffeine 'protects brain'

The easy way to neutralise cholesterol?

BBC - Coffee may cut the risk of dementia by blocking the damage cholesterol can inflict on the body, research suggests.

The drink has already been linked to a lower risk of Alzheimer's Disease, and a study ...
Read more : caffeine | Views : 5009 | Replies : 28

Prevention Magazine

I just received this month's Prevention Magazine. There is an article in it about 3 women who used alternative therapies for their various ailments. At the end of the article Prevention Magazine is asking readers to share their experiences about using alternative/unconventional therapies via a chat. This is a great way to get the word out about any alternative therapies that any of you have used that you have felt have been beneficial to you. ...
Read more : Prevention Magazine | Views : 2123 | Replies : 5

Molecular pathway to disease identified

This article reveals a molecular pathway which can be involved with disease development and which can, in a striking parallel with all the possible triggers for MS, be activated by a wide range of environmental factors.
I'm not sure about such sweeping statements as, " Th 17 cell activity is the cause of… multiple sclerosis", but then I suppose that's journalists for you:
Scientists working at the MRC National Institute for Medical Research have shown ...
Read more : Molecular pathway to disease identified | Views : 1667 | Replies : 0

Interviews with researchers

Here are interviews with the researchers who presented at last weekend's MS Life Conference.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/convention/ ... index.html
Read more : Interviews with researchers | Views : 1575 | Replies : 1

Fasting could offer protection from chemotherapy effects

I wonder if this approach would make chemo more or less effective for MS. How immune cells are effected by starvation I guess is the real question.

A new study is suggesting that short-term fasting could help protect cancer patients against the effects of chemotherapy.

Scientists from the University of Southern California have found in experiments with mice that fasting strengthens healthy cells but not cancer cells, and they are optimistic such strategies could be ...
Read more : Fasting could offer protection from chemotherapy effects | Views : 1350 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 234240 • Total topics 25181 • Total members 16398

Contact us | Terms of Service