It is currently Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:28 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

AAN Annual Conference - abstracts

The American Academy of Neurology Annual meeting takes place on 12-19 April. Attached is the link to the abstracts. There's something to cover most interests - EBV / Tovaxin / Vit D and the various drugs in the pipeline.

http://www.abstracts2view.com/aan2008chicago/

Ian
Read more : AAN Annual Conference - abstracts | Views : 1383 | Replies : 0

? Optic Neuritis

Hi guys

Pardon my ignorance folks, but I need some personal experiences of ON from anyone willing to share...

I saw my Neuro on Monday, and during my routine exam, he spent a lot of time both looking into my eyes with that little light thingy and asking me to follow his finger - then he asked me if I had any vision problems.

I have, for about the last week or 10 days or ...
Read more : ? Optic Neuritis | Views : 2799 | Replies : 12

Varicella-zoster virus

Another evidence for a viral connection in MS.

--------------------------
Varicella-zoster virus in cerebrospinal fluid at relapses of multiple sclerosis

OBJECTIVE: Recent studies in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) have indicated that exacerbations of multiple sclerosis (MS) could be associated with the reactivation of latent varicella-zoster virus (VZV).

METHODS: Ultrastructural observations for viral particles were made by electron microscopy in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) from 15 MS patients during relapse, 19 MS patients during remission, and 28 ...
Read more : Varicella-zoster virus | Views : 3196 | Replies : 11

spotty rash...

Husband is seeing derm. doc on Thursday. He's had a strange, spotty rash on top of both feet, shins since last year's dx, prior to taking any meds or supplements for MS. Looks like purple and brown freckles. His neuro saw them last year and said there was no connection to MS. We've been so focused on helping his MS symptoms and removing basal cells on face and torso, that this rash has continued without ...
Read more : spotty rash... | Views : 3297 | Replies : 9

More pain

Sorry to be posting more moans / problems.

I saw my GP last week who has prescribed me some painkillers for the pain I was talking about a couple of weeks ago, the painkillers don't make it go away but they do take the edge off!

Last night I started getting a different kind of pain. It started in my middriff / lower chest and was like a squeezing pain that went around my left ...
Read more : More pain | Views : 1718 | Replies : 3

Marijuana may block Alzheimer's

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm
They looked closely at brain cell receptors to which cannabinoids bind, allowing their effects to be felt.

They also studied structures called microglia, which activate the brain's immune response.

Microglia collect near the plaque deposits associated with Alzheimer's disease and, when active, cause inflammation.
The researchers found that the presence of amyloid protein in the rats' brains activated immune cells.

However, rats that also received the cannabinoid showed no sign of microglia activation. ...
Read more : Marijuana may block Alzheimer's | Views : 1424 | Replies : 1

Another EBV article

Apologies if this has been posted before - I can't keep track of the huge numbers of EBV / MS research articles. This one is interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18272866
Read more : Another EBV article | Views : 1350 | Replies : 0

Lyrica

Hi Guys

I had a look at other topics and wasn't sure where this question belonged - not drug pipeline, not really regimen, possibly daily life...But eventually settled here - hope no-one minds?

Saw my Neuro today and he has changed my Neurontin to Lyrica (for neuropathic pain). I have been on Neurontin for a long time, and now Lyrica, which he says is better, is available in S. Africa (I know it has been ...
Read more : Lyrica | Views : 2698 | Replies : 14

Quality of Life Post

Hi, I don't want to mislead anyone. A patient told me about this site and I am not here to plug my office, a treatment or ask for money but I would like to ask the MS community for some input and a few minutes of your time. I do not want to intrude on your community so I thought I would ask before posting anything further. There are many people in the world who ...
Read more : Quality of Life Post | Views : 2107 | Replies : 7

Random Thought

I'm going to win the power ball lottery today and when there is a cure for MS, I'll fly us all to some place in paradise with tranquil, peaceful, beautiful beaches and we can forget we ever had to deal with this nasty disease and all this stress. Stay tuned my friends and cross your fingers! :lol:
Read more : Random Thought | Views : 1625 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 233460 • Total topics 25049 • Total members 16206

Contact us | Terms of Service