It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Research

An interview with the NMSS Head of Research.

http://skins.broadbandvideo.com/nmss/06 ... ipt_02.pdf
Read more : Research | Views : 814 | Replies : 0

MS-associated retrovirus

Another possible viral (retroviral) trigger?

Multiple sclerosis-associated retrovirus and optic neuritis.

Mult Scler. 2006 Jun;12(3):357-9.
Sotgiu S, Arru G, Soderstrom M, Mameli G, Serra C, Dolei A.
Institute of Clinical Neurology, University of Sassari, Viale San Pietro 10, 07100 Sassari, Italy. stefanos@uniss.it

One prognostic factor for early multiple sclerosis (MS) patients to develop a definite MS may be the presence of the MS-associated retrovirus (MSRV) in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). ...
Read more : MS-associated retrovirus | Views : 840 | Replies : 0

Changing understanding of MS

Dear all,

I was dx just over 2 years ago. The neuro who gave me the news lacked any sort of sympathy. I remember him saying that MS "is an auto-immune disease where myelin is attacked". Two years later, and two years of spending too long on MS websites, revealed that the disease was much more complicated than this simple picture. Whilst a better understanding is good, in some ways as more is found out ...
Read more : Changing understanding of MS | Views : 902 | Replies : 0

Balance

I've always thought that MS was a job creation scheme for researchers - this sort of research supports my view.

Ian

http://www.msif.org/go.rm?id=14262
Read more : Balance | Views : 1070 | Replies : 1

TIM3

TIM3 - this is a new one on me!

I might fund my own research - the hypothesis 'MS is only found in countires where there are neurologists'. Moving to a country where there are not neurologists, before the age of 15, will protect you against being diagnosed with MS.

http://www.msif.org/go.rm?id=14263
Read more : TIM3 | Views : 1065 | Replies : 2

I eliminated my post

I eliminated my post
Read more : I eliminated my post | Views : 3577 | Replies : 29

Neurological Conference in Lausanne

Conference of Neurologists discussing all kinds of neurological disorders.
Glad to hear that they are really starting to focus on neuroprotection and repair in MS. I also hope that any advances they make in other disorders could have implications in MS also.

2,200 Neurologists Assembled In Lausanne
Main Category: Neurology / Neuroscience News
Article Date: 08 Jun 2006 - 0:00am (PDT)This Article
Also Appears In
Parkinson's DiseaseMultiple Sclerosis

International scientists discuss the most recent research ...
Read more : Neurological Conference in Lausanne | Views : 804 | Replies : 0

Secondary Progressive

It seems from my limited understanding that the Relapsing Remitting phase of MS is followed by the Secondary Progressive phase. I saw one paper which said that moving to the SP phase can range from 3 - 33 years. Whereas RR seems to be driven by inflamamtion, SP is about neuro-degeneration (with inflammation having much less of a role, although some at SP still have relapses). The following article from Japanese researchers suggests how the ...
Read more : Secondary Progressive | Views : 1089 | Replies : 1

Common cold

Study tests whether virus triggers MS

The common cold — inconvenient and annoying but generally considered benign — may cause attacks of multiple sclerosis. And it may provide a clue about what causes MS in the first place.

That's the premise of a study being launched at the University of Utah School of Medicine, which is seeking help from local MS patients. Several thousand Utahns are estimated to have the disease.

Researchers have previously ...
Read more : Common cold | Views : 1485 | Replies : 0

More research/ Tysabri

Central nervous system beckons attack in MS-like disease

It may sound like a case of blame the victim, but researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have shown that cells in the central nervous system can sometimes send out signals that invite hostile immune system attacks. In mice the researchers studied, this invitation resulted in damage to the protective covering of nerves, causing a disease resembling multiple sclerosis.

"It's been clear ...
Read more : More research/ Tysabri | Views : 1062 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216422 • Total topics 22112 • Total members 13904