It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 7:54 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

New imaging

New imaging approach promises insights into multiple sclerosis - 18 April 2007

Researchers have developed a way to use three types of microscopic imaging techniques simultaneously to analyse living tissue and learn more about the molecular mechanisms of multiple sclerosis, information that could help lead to earlier detection and new treatments.

The combined imaging method is enabling the researchers to study how multiple sclerosis causes an overproduction of "astroglial filaments," which form bundles between ...
Read more : New imaging | Views : 1044 | Replies : 1

Montell Williams Show

Hi all,

I was planning on watching the Montel Williams show today on MS, but it was preempted in my area due to the Virginia Tech tragedy. Did anyone else see it? Was there anything of interest in it? Any info on when it may be rebroadcast?

thanks in advance,

ThinkingOutLoud
Read more : Montell Williams Show | Views : 1336 | Replies : 1

CD24: missing gene reduces MS risk

Below is the author's summary of a report into a genetic mutation which appears to help protect against MS and Lupus. The mutation occurs at a point which should make the protein CD 24, but two base pairs are missing so the body produces less.
CD24 plays an important part in the immune system, and reducing the amount of it cuts not only the risk of getting MS or lupus in the first place, but ...
Read more : CD24: missing gene reduces MS risk | Views : 990 | Replies : 0

IVIG for exacerbation???

Solu-Medrol v/s Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG)

We're on Novantrone now and the Neuro is prescibing IVIG instead of Solu-Medrol for an exacerbation. we're only familiar with Solu-Medrol.

Can you help us know what to expect?

Thanks, napay
Read more : IVIG for exacerbation??? | Views : 1227 | Replies : 1

Auditory device and gait

Auditory Device Makes Walking Easier For MS Patients, Says Professor Yoram Baram, Israel

A Technion Institute computer science researcher has devised an auditory feedback system which enables patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) to improve their gait.

Professor Yoram Baram said that the apparatus, which is an updated version of a virtual reality visual feedback apparatus he developed a decade ago, can also help Parkinson's disease patients walk better.

"Our earlier system was based on a ...
Read more : Auditory device and gait | Views : 825 | Replies : 0

EGR2

Researchers discover gene crucial for nerve cell insulation 16 April 2007

Researchers funded by the National Institutes of Health have discovered how a defect in a single master gene disrupts the process by which several genes interact to create myelin, a fatty coating that covers nerve cells and increases the speed and reliability of their electrical signals.
The discovery has implications for understanding disorders of myelin production. These disorders can affect the peripheral nervous system—the ...
Read more : EGR2 | Views : 874 | Replies : 1

Ever had a day like this??

Please tell me I'm not crazy--or at least not alone :lol:

I woke up this morning and my right calf hurt like I had a pulled muscle. I have been working out regularly and figured that I just overdid it yesterday. But in the back of my mind I was probably wondering if it was the start of a relapse since my right leg is always affected. ...
Read more : Ever had a day like this?? | Views : 2932 | Replies : 19

Is this "normal" for MS?

I was diagnosed in the summer of 2005 after ending up in the ER unable to speak although I was seeking answers to my symptoms since 2002. Since the attack in 2005, I have regained most of my speech (still slur some words) but have other issues such as right-sided numbness and muscle stiffness including a slight facial drop, some difficulty with my handwriting and issues with my right foot that cause minor gait problems. ...
Read more : Is this "normal" for MS? | Views : 2039 | Replies : 10

Varicella Zoster

1: J Neurol. 2007 Mar 31; Links
Varicella-zoster virus at relapses of multiple sclerosis.Sotelo J, Ordonez G, Pineda B.
Neuroimmunology Unit, National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery of Mexico, Insurgentes Sur 3877, 14269, Mexico City, Mexico, jsotelo@servidor.unam.mx.

The possible participation of different herpes viruses was studied during exacerbations of multiple sclerosis (MS). We searched for the presence of DNA from the following herpes viruses: varicella zoster ...
Read more : Varicella Zoster | Views : 921 | Replies : 0

Nicotinamide etc.

This abstract provides a rationale for the use of, among other things, niacin and nicotinamide:

Pharmacological Targeting of IDO-Mediated Tolerance for Treating Autoimmune Disease.

Penberthy WT.

University of Cincinnati, Building C Room 217A, 2180 E. Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA. WTPENBER@YAHOO.COM.

Immunomodulatory factors including IFNgamma, TNFalpha, IL-1, and LPS use IDO induction in responsive antigen presenting cells (APCs) also to transmit tolerogenic signals to T cells. Thus it makes ...
Read more : Nicotinamide etc. | Views : 914 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 225673 • Total topics 23674 • Total members 15029

Contact us | Terms of Service