It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:54 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Immune and nervous system cells talk to each other

Signalling between cells is vital for correct functioning, but I didn't realise that the immune system and nervous system talked to each other quite so much:

Trends Immunol. 2007 Aug 3;
Franco R, Pacheco R, Lluis C, Ahern GP, O''connell PJ
Discuss | category: Immunology

Initially, the idea that neurotransmitters could serve as immunomodulators emerged with the discovery that their release and diffusion from nervous tissue could lead to signaling through lymphocyte cell-surface receptors and ...
Read more : Immune and nervous system cells talk to each other | Views : 1198 | Replies : 2

Switching meds...

I was on Rebif until last week and will be changing to a new medication next week. For those that have switched meds do you start out at low dosage again? Also do you feel the same initial pain as you did when you began your first treatment?

I'm worried that I was finally feel good on Rebif, but had to switch due to allergic reaction. Will I suffer in the begining again as ...
Read more : Switching meds... | Views : 1112 | Replies : 1

Growing neurons for experiments

I think we're all pretty disillusioned by the failure of animal models to provide an accurate experimental analogue of human MS. Hopefully this new development will provide a better tool for understanding the disease, as well as more relevant test results.

Main Category: Neurology / Neuroscience News
Article Date: 20 Aug 2007 - 13:00 PDT
Scientists with the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Medicine at UCLA were able to produce from human embryonic stem ...
Read more : Growing neurons for experiments | Views : 1313 | Replies : 7

Changing jobs - insurance concerns

I just received a job offer that i think i am going to accept. Can anyone walk me through the proper steps to ensure that i dont lapse my coverage? just a little nervous.
Read more : Changing jobs - insurance concerns | Views : 1510 | Replies : 1

The therapeutic plasticity of neural stem/precursor

This excerpt is off track from the general gist of the article but I thought it was interesting that they specifically enter into the inflammation healing/hurting effect Cure and I had discussed/debated earlier. Additionally, the talk a little about plasticity, which if my flavor of the month right now.

Journal of the Neurological Sciences xx (2007) xxx–xxx

The therapeutic plasticity of neural stem/precursor
cells in multiple sclerosis
Stefano Pluchino ⁎, Gianvito Martino
Neuroimmunology Unit-DIBIT ...
Read more : The therapeutic plasticity of neural stem/precursor | Views : 1022 | Replies : 0

Has anyone changed from Rebif to one of the ABC's?

Hi, I have been on Rebif for 2 months after being diagnosed with RRMS. I was told I am allergic to Rebif and need to try a new med. Can anyone tell me what differences they have found from Rebif to one of the other's?

Read more : Has anyone changed from Rebif to one of the ABC's? | Views : 1734 | Replies : 4

Glial cells become nerve cells

Public release date: 20-Aug-2007

GSF - National Research Center for Environment and Health

Milestone in the regeneration of brain cells
Supportive cells generate new nerve cells
The majority of cells in the human brain are not nerve cells but star-shaped glia cells, the so called “astroglia”. “Glia means “glue”, explains Götz. “As befits their ...
Read more : Glial cells become nerve cells | Views : 988 | Replies : 0

Deep-Brain Stimulation

On the one hand, brain surgery is a scary thought, on the other hand options to deal with MS symptoms are always welcome.

With Deep-Brain Stimulation, Neurosurgeon Believes In Magic

A surgical procedure most closely associated with relief of tremors in patients with Parkinson’s disease is offering relief for other movement disorders and soon will be considered at Ohio State University Medical Center for those with select psychiatric disorders as well.

The procedure, deep-brain stimulation, ...
Read more : Deep-Brain Stimulation | Views : 949 | Replies : 0

Epigenetics and neural stem cells

I don't really understand most of this paper, but the combination of epigenetics and neural stem cells was too interesting to ignore.

Epigenetics and neural stem cell commitment

Hai-Liang TANG, Jian-Hong ZHU
Department of Neurosurgery, Fudan University, Huashan Hospital, Shanghai 200040, China
National Key Laboratory for Medical Neurobiology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China

Neural stem cell is presently the research hotspot in neuroscience. Recent progress indicates that epigenetic modulation is closely related ...
Read more : Epigenetics and neural stem cells | Views : 1270 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Total posts 228606 • Total topics 24186 • Total members 15479

Contact us | Terms of Service