It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:59 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Insulin Levels Are Indeed Important

Here are two posts with recent articles relating to aging, both of which reference the significance of lowering insulin levels/lowering insulin resistance. THe second one talks about possible drugs, including a readily available supplement derived from red wine which ay be of interest. THESE ARE LONG ARTICLES. I think a lot of people will have read them, but wanted to post just in case.

October 31, 2006 NYTIMES
One for the Ages: A Prescription That ...
Read more : Insulin Levels Are Indeed Important | Views : 1098 | Replies : 1

Regrowing nerve fibers

Not specifically MS but related

Source: University of California - Irvine
Date: November 20, 2006

Nerve Fibers Need Specific Growth Factor Chemical To Form Connections Within The Brain

A discovery on how neural circuitry develops to aid proper cerebral cortex activity may help explain the memory and cognitive decline seen in Alzheimer’s disease patients – a discovery that could point toward potential treatments, according to UC Irvine scientists.

The study uncovers how cholinergic neuronal circuits, ...
Read more : Regrowing nerve fibers | Views : 954 | Replies : 0

Vitamin D

Problems of vitamin D deficiency are becoming more evident
Awareness is increasing that this may be the root of numerous health problems.
By Victoria Stagg Elliott, AMNews staff. May 22/29, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The woman had been going to various doctors for years, seeking a solution for seemingly unending generalized pain. Over time, her function had diminished to the point that she could no longer walk without assistance. It was only when her physician tested her ...
Read more : Vitamin D | Views : 1822 | Replies : 2

Estrogen Induced Neuroprotectio (article available)

Sorry, this is so late but some one (probably sharon) posted an abstract of a research article with title Novel Mechanisms for Estrogen Induced Neuroprotection. I subsequently obtained the full 8 page article, unfortunately only in PDF. If anyone wishes a cc please pm me and I will send to their email (i.e. I'll need an external email address)
Read more : Estrogen Induced Neuroprotectio (article available) | Views : 1364 | Replies : 4

Bromley and 2 weeks

Ian,

You were supposed to be a lab rat for two weeks with no internet access.

Did you get dropped from the program or are you sneaking out to access thisisms? :P :P

gwa
Read more : Bromley and 2 weeks | Views : 2502 | Replies : 17

Phentermine and Brain Damage

Ok, here I go again... A week before I ended up in the hospital for MS (June 05), I had been taking a weight loss drug called Phentermine. It was very effective. I stopped taking abruptly because I thought its effectiveness was wearing off and I was tired of the head-ache it was giving me every night when I "came down" off of this drug. Next week: I am in the hospital. I told my ...
Read more : Phentermine and Brain Damage | Views : 12613 | Replies : 19

Currently in Tovaxin IIB Clinical Trial

I have been accepted in the Tovaxin Phase IIb Clinical Trial. I have created an online journal that will track my progress during the trial. You can view my online journal here http://blog.360.yahoo.com/pvns2005 . If you have any questions for me you can contact me through Yahoo IM or Yahoo Email. My Yahoo ID is pvns2005.
Read more : Currently in Tovaxin IIB Clinical Trial | Views : 6464 | Replies : 48

Studying OPCs

Interesting

Movies reveal that the process of insulating nerves is surprisingly dynamic

Much like the electrical wiring in your house, the nerves in your body need to be completely covered by a layer of insulation to work properly.
Instead of red, white or black plastic, however, the wiring in the nervous system is protected by layers of an insulating protein called myelin. These layers increase the speed that nerve impulses travel throughout the brain ...
Read more : Studying OPCs | Views : 967 | Replies : 2

Cerebral Spinal Fluid Data

What is the significance of Glucose in CSF testing? Does anyone know? What about Protein? In June '05, when they took a sample of my CSF, the results were: CSF, GLUCOSE = 75; Reference Range=40-70

CSF, PROTEIN=42.6; Reference Range=15.0-40.0

Just curious if anyone knows anything about that?

Brock
Read more : Cerebral Spinal Fluid Data | Views : 1042 | Replies : 0

White Matte vs. Gray Matter

Read more : White Matte vs. Gray Matter | Views : 1136 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220880 • Total topics 22894 • Total members 14457

Contact us | Terms of Service