It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:36 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Genes

Dear all,

It is generally accepted that MS is a result of genetic susceptibility and an environmental trigger (perhaps a virus). At the EBV Think Tank I attended, Professor George Ebers talked about his work on identifying the genes involved in MS. I was still confused by the relative importance of the susceptibility genes and the environmental trigger, as a recent study of childhood MS in Canada suggested that the environmental factor was more important. ...
Read more : Genes | Views : 1245 | Replies : 6

Finished Ten Days IV Steroids, Intense PT...

Well, I'm back from my two week hospital adventure, which included ten days of Solumedrol and five days of physical and occupational therapy. I started off in a local hospital, where they started the IV, and then transfered to the Helen Hayes Rehab Hospital in Rockland County, New York.

The effect has been remarkable. I was quite skeptical that the steroids would have much effect, as their reputation with PPMS is poor, but my improvement ...
Read more : Finished Ten Days IV Steroids, Intense PT... | Views : 869 | Replies : 2

More than just depressed.

Psychiatric Conditions Other Than Depression Common in Multiple Sclerosis Patients: Presented at ENS

By Norra MacReady

LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND -- June 1, 2006 -- Contrary to conventional wisdom, depression is not necessarily the most common neuropyschiatric disorder observed in people with multiple sclerosis (MS), according to a poster presentation at the 16th Annual Meeting of the European Neurological Society (ENS).

It has been estimated that depression occurs in 40% of the MS patient population. The overall ...
Read more : More than just depressed. | Views : 905 | Replies : 0

Hints for Double Vision?

I'M HAVING DOUBLE VISION FOR THE FIRST TIME. IT'S LASTED 2 WEEKS SO FAR. I KNOW PATCHING HELPS FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME. JUST WONDERING HOW LONG OTHER'S BOUTS WITH IT HAVE LASTED...I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT...ANY INFO ON EXERCISES FOR MY EYES TO HELP GET THE MUSCLE STRENGTH BACK QUICKER?
I THINK IT'S MY LEFT EYE...CRANIAL NERVE VI. I'M NOT DRIVING BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH I CAN CLOSE ONE EYE AND SEE FINE IN FRONT ...
Read more : Hints for Double Vision? | Views : 1386 | Replies : 4

Potential New Virus Identified in MS

Potential Animal (Zoonotic) Virus Identified in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Multiple Sclerosis and Epilepsy

NEEDHAM, Mass., May 31 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Recent independent scientific research funded by the National CFIDS Foundation, Inc. (NCF) of Needham, MA provided preliminary confirmation of a new virus identified in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The Foundation's medical research dovetails with that completed to date by Cryptic Afflictions, LLC (1), a private company.

Dr. Steven J. Robbins, virologist and ...
Read more : Potential New Virus Identified in MS | Views : 5263 | Replies : 28

Potassium channels

Potassium channels keep popping up as an area to watch lately...

Potassium channels K(v)1.3 and K(v)1.5 are expressed on blood-derived dendritic cells in the central nervous system.

Ann Neurol. 2006 May 25;
Mullen KM, Rozycka M, Rus H, Hu L, Cudrici C, Zafranskaia E, Pennington MW, Johns DC, Judge SI, Calabresi PA.
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.

OBJECTIVE: Potassium (K(+)) channels on immune cells have gained attention recently as promising targets of ...
Read more : Potassium channels | Views : 1160 | Replies : 2

Axonal injury

The researchers have been busy this month. Another paper on what might cause axonal injury. Again, probably good news in that it might be another target for future treatment.

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... xonal.html
Read more : Axonal injury | Views : 756 | Replies : 0

Emerging therapeutic targets

Another paper suggesting that this complex disease is starting to be better understood.

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... erape.html
Read more : Emerging therapeutic targets | Views : 780 | Replies : 0

Neuro-protection

Looks like some progress is being made. The author is from the Institute of Neurology and highly regarded in this field.

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... and_c.html
Read more : Neuro-protection | Views : 767 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216424 • Total topics 22112 • Total members 13903