It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:55 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

More spinal cord injury research

More new findings about spinal cord injury, myelin formation and stem cells.

Researchers Find A Reaction To Spinal Cord Injury That Speeds Recovery In Young Rats

13 Nov 2006 -- Neuroscientists have long believed that the only way to repair a spinal cord injury was to grow new neural connections, but researchers at Georgetown University Medical Center recently found that, especially in young rats, powerful cells near the injury site also work overtime to restrict ...
Read more : More spinal cord injury research | Views : 856 | Replies : 0

Protein folding

No mention of MS, and they say that, "The split-second folding of gangly protein chains into tight three-dimensional shapes has broad implications for the growing number of disorders believed to result from misfolded proteins or parts of proteins, most notably neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases."

I don't know if this has any implications for MS, but it does show the amazing progress being made on solving some of the physical sciences' major ...
Read more : Protein folding | Views : 921 | Replies : 0

Insulin: A role in cancer, inflammation, & Alzheimers

Here's an interesting article which discusses the multiple roles of insulin and its link to cancer, inflammation, and Alzheimers.

Resisting Insulin: The hormone insulin, a key part of diabetes, may be the real culprit in everything from cancer to Alzheimer's disease.
by Monika Guttman, UCS Health Magazine

NHE
Read more : Insulin: A role in cancer, inflammation, & Alzheimers | Views : 2698 | Replies : 20

Researchers Closer To Cure For Multiple Sclerosis...

Researchers Closer To Cure For Multiple Sclerosis And Other Myelin-related Diseases
06 Nov 2006

A breakthrough finding on the mechanism of myelin formation by Jonah Chan, assistant professor of cell and neurobiology at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, could have a major impact on the treatment of diseases such as multiple sclerosis and demyelination as a result of spinal cord injuries.

Myelin, the white matter that coats all nerves, ...
Read more : Researchers Closer To Cure For Multiple Sclerosis... | Views : 1798 | Replies : 3

Bromley's two weeks off

Ian,

What are you going to be doing for two weeks in the hospital? I am thinking that you are going to be used as a guinea pig, but don't know
for sure.

gwa
Read more : Bromley's two weeks off | Views : 3137 | Replies : 21

RA

The following article is about RA and the use of Rituxan, which got FDA approval for RA earlier this year. Rituxan is in trials for MS (PP and RR). And we await the data from the RR Phase II trial which finished in the Summer. Interesting bit is about B cells and how researchers had considered RA to be a T cell mediated disease but now recognised that B cells are also involved. This change ...
Read more : RA | Views : 732 | Replies : 0

Another rat story

I know it's still about rats and it might have already been posted but I figured I'd post it anyways.

Friday, November 10, 2006
In Young Rats, Researchers Find a Reaction to Spinal Cord Injury That Speeds Recovery

Finding surprises researchers, who discovered that young rats mend more quickly because cells near the injury site respond differently than in adults

Neuroscientists had long believed that the only way to repair a spinal cord injury ...
Read more : Another rat story | Views : 779 | Replies : 0

Posting for Suecat

I'm posting this message for another member who's unable to post and going through a rough time. Arron maybe you have some suggestions for her.

"Hi, my name is Sue (registered name Suecat) I have registered as a member to the "thisisms" site but unfortunately with my computer am always unable to post. I get the msg that due either my firewall is not letting me get on or something due to my comp. using ...
Read more : Posting for Suecat | Views : 3293 | Replies : 16

New scanner

Me, GWA and others, believe that technology will lead to a better understanding of this disease. A new MRI scanner, much more powerful than previous scanners is in operation. The BBC website, health section, has a video of what the scanner can see - in terms of images of the brain. It is to be used to monitor progression in MS. I tried to paste the video link, but this site did not like it. ...
Read more : New scanner | Views : 972 | Replies : 1

One for Shayk

Sharon,

Here's some good news on the hormones front. I'm going to cheer people up before my 2 week break.

For those new to the site, Shayk is the hormones guru - and you'd have to be blind to not see that hormones plays a big part in this disease (2-3 times the number of women to men get MS, the third term of pregnancy calms the disease down, and the small trial of testosterone ...
Read more : One for Shayk | Views : 1311 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220860 • Total topics 22892 • Total members 14455

Contact us | Terms of Service