It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:01 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Disability, axonal degeneration

I have been reading a little and understanding a little on this axonal degeneration and disability connection. Gary has lots of disability and little brain lesions, so it "fits" his MS. A few years ago they did a spinal MRI and a DR noted in a known area of attacks spinal atrophy. Which basically is shrinkage? I read in Lyon's article on another post about all of this except they were talking about the brain ...
Read more : Disability, axonal degeneration | Views : 3239 | Replies : 20

Cyclophosphamide

This is a story of a couple of months ago, but is doing the rounds again. It's something cheery for a Monday.

Ian

MS treatment 'a miracle'

Rocky Point woman undergoes high-dose regimen at Stony Brook.
Linda Jacobellis had multiple sclerosis, a disease for which there is no cure, for 16 years. Now, she announces, "I no longer have MS." She ascribes her cure, in part, to "a miracle from my mother in heaven." ...
Read more : Cyclophosphamide | Views : 1916 | Replies : 6

Genes story

This looks an interesing genes story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5379250.stm
Read more : Genes story | Views : 1024 | Replies : 0

Betaferon and the BENEFIT study

Betaferon Demonstrates Robust Reduction in Risk of Developing Multiple Sclerosis Across All Subgroups of Benefit study

BERLIN, September 29, 2006-Schering AG (FSE: SCH, NYSE: SHR), Germany, announced today results from the subgroup analysis of the BENEFIT* study which showed that Betaferon® (interferon beta-1b) 250mcg treatment reduced the risk of developing clinically definite MS (CDMS) consistently across all subgroups regardless of age, gender, steroid treatment or symptoms at onset of disease.1 These data were part of ...
Read more : Betaferon and the BENEFIT study | Views : 812 | Replies : 0

MS/infection

A new abstract is available ahead of article print on pubmed. Copied below...
Multiple sclerosis: an infectious syndrome involving Chlamydophila pneumoniae.

Stratton CW, Wheldon DB.
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA.

The concept of autoimmune myelinopathy as the primary pathology in multiple sclerosis (MS) is problematic. Vasculitis is seen in the MS brain, both within lesions and in adjacent normal-appearing white matter. The first observation in acute relapse is the sudden, ...
Read more : MS/infection | Views : 8146 | Replies : 34

twitching eye-lid

Awhile ago I posted about weakness in my right eyelid. That's still a constant.

Now, for the last two weeks my *left* eyelid twitches. Perhaps about 20 seconds at a time. But it happens so very, very often during the day.

Today, my husband was able to catch a glimpse of it in action. He said that the movement seemed to come from the the middle of the eyelid and the eyelid moved up and ...
Read more : twitching eye-lid | Views : 15533 | Replies : 14

BBB / global disease

Dear all,

The UK MS Society recently profiled the work of Prof John Greenwood whose work focuses on the BBB.

<shortened url>

By coincidence, I came across the following research on the BBB.

<shortened url>

It got me thinking about whether MS was a global disease of the CNS rather than a focal disease based on lesions etc. I e-mailed one of my neuros who responded -

You are correct that MS is a generalized ...
Read more : BBB / global disease | Views : 940 | Replies : 2

Mitox and copaxone

A combo treatment for aggressive RR. This is the same combo that is being trialled in the UK after good results reported earlier this year.

No mention of EDSS. But this doesn't seem to matter to researchers - it's the number of relapses, reduction in Gd enhancing lesions etc that's important! Then they can generate lots of statistical data and avoid the real question - did the patient get any better?

Very Active Multiple Sclerosis ...
Read more : Mitox and copaxone | Views : 937 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219641 • Total topics 22675 • Total members 14291

Contact us | Terms of Service