It is currently Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:26 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Parasitic infection is found to benefit MS patients

I hope this was the right forum to place that hopeful news in.

I found it especially interesting when taking the following news in regard, where people in italy using BCG vaccination to generate immunetolerance - maybe its the same mechanism of action.
http://neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/53/7/1588

--Frank

Parasitic infection is found to benefit MS patients
-------------------------------------------------------

Patients with multiple sclerosis who also happen to have an intestinal parasite appear to have ...
Read more : Parasitic infection is found to benefit MS patients | Views : 5622 | Replies : 27

Cannabinor Phase 2a trial

Pharmos Announces Clinical Data from Phase 2a Trial of Cannabinor for Capsaicin-induced Pain

Safe and Well Tolerated with No Serious Adverse Effects

ISELIN, N.J., Jan. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -. Pharmos Corp. today announced preliminary results from its Phase 2a study evaluating intravenous (i.v.) cannabinor, a CB2-selective synthetic cannabinoid compound, in a capsaicin-induced pain model. The drug candidate did not meet the primary endpoint defined by analgesic effects compared to placebo, but confirmed safety and tolerability observed ...
Read more : Cannabinor Phase 2a trial | Views : 766 | Replies : 0

Imaging compounds

Bayer Schering To Develop Imaging Compounds To Detect Neurodegenerative Diseases

Bayer Schering Pharma AG has signed a license and option agreement with Taisho Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Nihon Nohyaku Co., Ltd., and the National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Japan, to develop novel imaging compounds for the detection of neurodegenerative diseases.
The diseases include Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and other disorders also associated with neuroinflammation such as multiple sclerosis.

Under the terms of the agreement Bayer Schering ...
Read more : Imaging compounds | Views : 1085 | Replies : 1

Two papers on Vit D

1,25 Dihydroxyvitamin-D3 modulates JAK-STAT pathway in IL-12/IFNgamma axis leading to Th1 response in experimental allergic encephalomyelitis.

Muthian G, Raikwar HP, Rajasingh J, Bright JJ.
Department of Neurology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) is a Th1 cell-mediated autoimmune disease model of multiple sclerosis (MS). Vitamin D deficiency is commonly observed in MS patients and vitamin D supplements reduce the clinical symptoms of EAE and MS. Earlier studies have shown that ...
Read more : Two papers on Vit D | Views : 2111 | Replies : 15

Remyelination in THREE animal models?

I've just seen this on 'Acorda's' website, under "pipeline/R&d". It mentions three different animal models of MS, but I've only ever heard of EAE. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Dom.

" Acorda’s remyelination programs include two distinct therapeutic approaches to stimulate repair of the damaged myelin sheath Myelin is the insulating layer of membranes that surrounds most nerve fibers. When an axon is demyelinated, nerve impulses “short circuit” much like a wire whose insulation ...
Read more : Remyelination in THREE animal models? | Views : 1461 | Replies : 7

MBP8298 for the treatment of secondary progressive MS

Today, I was offered the opportunity to enroll in the BioMS study looking at the effects of MBP8298 for the treatment of secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Given that I have slowly but surely progressed in the last few years, I see little options. Let me know what you think.

thanks,

beyondms
Read more : MBP8298 for the treatment of secondary progressive MS | Views : 1478 | Replies : 7

turmeric

January 14, 2007

Spice Healer

An ingredient in curry shows promise for treating Alzheimer's, cancer and other diseases

By Gary Stix

Searching for new drugs by milling through ancient folk pharmacopoeia or by just picking a plant while walking in the woods has a decidedly checkered history. Many well-established therapeutic compounds originated in trees, shrubs, mollusks, even dirt. Aspirin came from willow bark, cholesterol-lowering statins from a mold, and the antimalarial artemisinin from a shrub ...
Read more : turmeric | Views : 888 | Replies : 1

LC and acidophilus

LC how are you doing now that you're on the acidophilus? any improvement?
Read more : LC and acidophilus | Views : 1026 | Replies : 2

Stem Cells Regenerate Damaged Nerves

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene ... ne&storyID
=2007-01-17T152054Z_01_WEN2290_RTRUKOC_0_US-GERON.xml&
WTmodLoc=%22Home-R2-newsOne-4

Stem cells nurture damaged spine: study
Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:21 AM ET

BOSTON (Reuters) - Human embryonic stem cells can help regenerate damaged nerves in rats, producing compounds that
nurture nerve cells and stimulate the growth of new ones, Geron Corp. said on Wednesday.

The company's stock rose on the news, published in the journal Stem Cells and Development.

Geron had earlier reported ...
Read more : Stem Cells Regenerate Damaged Nerves | Views : 868 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 223287 • Total topics 23212 • Total members 14693

Contact us | Terms of Service