It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:38 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Important new weapon against aggressive MS

New Weapon against Multiple Sclerosis
22 Apr 2007 11:23:00

A new breakthrough medicine getting multiple sclerosis sufferers’ hopes up has worked its way through the market since early April. The new medicine promises to reduce deterioration by 54% and slow the annual relapse rates by 68% in two years’ time. Injected and administered once a month, all pension funds cover its cost.

In particular, the new medicine contains a really effective and drastic compound that, ...
Read more : Important new weapon against aggressive MS | Views : 3011 | Replies : 18

Protein research - looks promising

There's quite a lot of protein work being undertaken in various labs. This looks promising as it's about protecting nerves,

Ian

Deactivating protein may protect nerve fibres in MS 24 April 2007

OHSU findings could lead to first drug to treat progressive, disabling form of disease.

Oregon Health & Science University neuroscientists are eyeing a protein as a potential therapeutic target for multiple sclerosis because de-activating it protects nerve fibers from damage.

OHSU researchers, ...
Read more : Protein research - looks promising | Views : 2344 | Replies : 10

Allen Brain Atlas

I don't know if the Allen Brain Atlas has been mentioned before on ThisIsMS but check out these links:

http://www.nature.com/msb/journal/v3/n1 ... 00122.html

http://www.brain-map.org/welcome.do;jse ... FD36A2A115

Wesley
Read more : Allen Brain Atlas | Views : 1081 | Replies : 1

Do I "fit" here ?

Hello...

I am a V.A. Hospital patient. I was dx's as MS/SS sjogren's syndrome.
I have all the symptoms, and have the lesions in the WM. The neurologist fellowship said 'many' ? lesions. They are not treating me with interferon ... yet...

I take pred. mtx, lyrica and paquinil. Many other scripts too for HT, etc,
I also have autoimmune liver disease.

Numbness, burning Pain, eyesight involvement.

So do I fit here?

jangy (bigouies)
Read more : Do I "fit" here ? | Views : 1844 | Replies : 8

Life Changes - is it time?

hi
Read more : Life Changes - is it time? | Views : 1470 | Replies : 4

Using nanotechnology to grow cells

As a treatment option the use of nanotechnology is still a long way off, but this announcement gives a tantalising glimpse of its possible potential. As usual, scientific journalists trundle out their stock phrase, "... such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's", whenever they think about neurological conditions -- MS seems to be off their radar unless the news item is specifically about it -- as the most common neurological cause of disability in young people, I ...
Read more : Using nanotechnology to grow cells | Views : 872 | Replies : 0

Remyelination

Remyelination can be extensive in multiple sclerosis despite a long disease course 21 April 2007

Patani R, Balaratnam M, Vora A, Reynolds R. Department of Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience, UK MS Tissue Bank, Division of Neuroscience, Imperial College London, Charing Cross Hospital Campus, London, UK.
Experimental studies using models of multiple sclerosis (MS) indicate that rapid and extensive remyelination of inflammatory demyelinated lesions is not only possible, but is the normal situation. The presence of ...
Read more : Remyelination | Views : 1295 | Replies : 3

Gene needed for nerve cell insulation found

The end of the article has a sentence about MS.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... wsid=68071

Gene Crucial For Nerve Cell Insulation Discovered By Researchers
21 Apr 2007

Researchers funded by the National Institutes of Health have discovered how a defect in a single master gene
disrupts the process by which several genes interact to create myelin, a fatty coating that covers nerve cells
and increases the speed and reliability of their ...
Read more : Gene needed for nerve cell insulation found | Views : 905 | Replies : 0

WM and GM lesions occur simultaneously

Abstract from PubMed:

Inflammatory demyelination and neurodegeneration in early multiple sclerosis.

Charil A, Filippi M.

Neuroimaging Research Unit, Department of Neurology, Scientific Institute and University Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy.

A number of recent magnetic resonance imaging studies have challenged the classical view of multiple sclerosis (MS) as a "two-stage" disease where an early inflammatory demyelinating phase with focal macroscopic lesions formed in the white matter (WM) of the central nervous system is followed by ...
Read more : WM and GM lesions occur simultaneously | Views : 837 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 226762 • Total topics 23888 • Total members 15159

Contact us | Terms of Service