It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:22 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

human endogenous retrovirus

human endogenous retrovirus seems to be another virus to add to the list of suspects along with EBV and HHV6.

Gene-environment interactions in multiple sclerosis: Innate and adaptive immune responses to human endogenous retrovirus and herpesvirus antigens and the lectin complement activation pathway.

J Neuroimmunol. 2006 Nov 15;
Christensen T, Petersen T, Thiel S, Brudek T, Ellermann-Eriksen S, Moller-Larsen A.
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark. ...
Read more : human endogenous retrovirus | Views : 1189 | Replies : 3

Epigenetics radio program

I just heard a podcast of a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp for the non-Canadians out there) radio program on epigenetics. It isn't about MS specifically, but if you are at all curious about epigenetics, it's an enjoyable, accessible introduction. From the attached link, it's the November 22 selection.

http://www.cbc.ca/editorschoice/
Read more : Epigenetics radio program | Views : 1102 | Replies : 2

Dr Freedman Interview on ECTRIMS

From Medscape Neurology & Neurosurgery

Expert Interview
New Perspectives in Multiple Sclerosis: An Expert Interview With Mark S. Freedman, HBSc, MSc, MD
Posted 11/01/2006

The 22nd Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS) was held from September 27 to 30, 2006 in Madrid, Spain. During this meeting, new information about the diagnosis and management of multiple sclerosis (MS) was presented. Marni Kelman, MSc, Medscape Neurology & Neurosurgery Editorial Director, ...
Read more : Dr Freedman Interview on ECTRIMS | Views : 1687 | Replies : 6

Calpain Inhibitor

Read more : Calpain Inhibitor | Views : 1462 | Replies : 7

Asthma

Read more : Asthma | Views : 3336 | Replies : 28

Insulin Levels Are Indeed Important

Here are two posts with recent articles relating to aging, both of which reference the significance of lowering insulin levels/lowering insulin resistance. THe second one talks about possible drugs, including a readily available supplement derived from red wine which ay be of interest. THESE ARE LONG ARTICLES. I think a lot of people will have read them, but wanted to post just in case.

October 31, 2006 NYTIMES
One for the Ages: A Prescription That ...
Read more : Insulin Levels Are Indeed Important | Views : 1124 | Replies : 1

Regrowing nerve fibers

Not specifically MS but related

Source: University of California - Irvine
Date: November 20, 2006

Nerve Fibers Need Specific Growth Factor Chemical To Form Connections Within The Brain

A discovery on how neural circuitry develops to aid proper cerebral cortex activity may help explain the memory and cognitive decline seen in Alzheimer’s disease patients – a discovery that could point toward potential treatments, according to UC Irvine scientists.

The study uncovers how cholinergic neuronal circuits, ...
Read more : Regrowing nerve fibers | Views : 963 | Replies : 0

Vitamin D

Problems of vitamin D deficiency are becoming more evident
Awareness is increasing that this may be the root of numerous health problems.
By Victoria Stagg Elliott, AMNews staff. May 22/29, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The woman had been going to various doctors for years, seeking a solution for seemingly unending generalized pain. Over time, her function had diminished to the point that she could no longer walk without assistance. It was only when her physician tested her ...
Read more : Vitamin D | Views : 1837 | Replies : 2

Estrogen Induced Neuroprotectio (article available)

Sorry, this is so late but some one (probably sharon) posted an abstract of a research article with title Novel Mechanisms for Estrogen Induced Neuroprotection. I subsequently obtained the full 8 page article, unfortunately only in PDF. If anyone wishes a cc please pm me and I will send to their email (i.e. I'll need an external email address)
Read more : Estrogen Induced Neuroprotectio (article available) | Views : 1375 | Replies : 4

Bromley and 2 weeks

Ian,

You were supposed to be a lab rat for two weeks with no internet access.

Did you get dropped from the program or are you sneaking out to access thisisms? :P :P

gwa
Read more : Bromley and 2 weeks | Views : 2518 | Replies : 17

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 222264 • Total topics 23085 • Total members 14614

Contact us | Terms of Service