It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:04 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Warning about stem cell treatment

Scientists warn of 'unproven stem cell treatments'
Last updated at 12:04pm on 29th August 2006

Scientists have warned that some stem cell treatments could kill

A group of leading British scientists warned patients today to be wary of "extravagant" claims made for "unorthodox" stem cell treatments offered abroad.

In a letter to The Times newspaper, the experts praised the UK for establishing itself as a world leader in such research, but said foreign therapies - ...
Read more : Warning about stem cell treatment | Views : 996 | Replies : 0

Exercise and MS

New Hope For Multiple Sclerosis Patients

POSTED: 5:55 pm EDT August 29, 2006
UPDATED: 8:37 pm EDT August 29, 2006

RALEIGH, N.C. -- New research is breaking through old assumptions and helping people with Multiple Sclerosis.

More doctors are rethinking their approach to exercise for patients with Multiple Sclerosis, as a result of recent medical studies. It's a chronic nerve disease that damages parts of the brain and spinal cord and affects about 400,000 people, ...
Read more : Exercise and MS | Views : 1267 | Replies : 5

Fatigue and You

I am very interested to hear from everyone what their experience with fatigue and general tiredness is. I seem to be struggling with being tired more and more as time goes on with MS. I want to know if what I am experiencing is normal for most of us or not.

To be more specific, here is my experience:

For the past 6 mos - 1 year (I have been diagnosed for 3 years) I ...
Read more : Fatigue and You | Views : 2050 | Replies : 7

September 4th is MSRC's PlayMonday Draw

MSRC recently asked for peoples support in attempting to gain the most votes on the web site and we were overwhelmed by the response – even though we came third in the end behind The Guides and The Scouts.

Just think of that though, MSRC only losing out to those 2 huge membership organisations – no wonder we felt humbled by the response and very, very grateful.

So here we are again asking for your ...
Read more : September 4th is MSRC's PlayMonday Draw | Views : 1017 | Replies : 0

Was going to post this under the "Why Me?" topic,

out of respect for my father, whom I nearly just lost, will start this new one.

My “It could always be worse,” coping mantra is being tested to the max, this week.

My 70 year old father, who has rarely been sick a day in his life, suffered a hemorrhagic stroke, last week.

Still employed full-time, he was doing construction on his old family homestead, after work. Friends and family continuously warning him that he ...
Read more : Was going to post this under the "Why Me?" topic, | Views : 2339 | Replies : 19

Nanowires and neurons

Hopefully they will be able to replace lost function with technology, even if they can't fix it with drugs/stem cells.

Nanowire arrays can detect signals along individual neurons
Merger of nanowires and neurons could boost efforts to measure and understand brain activity

Opening a whole new interface between nanotechnology and neuroscience, scientists at Harvard University have used slender silicon nanowires to detect, stimulate, and inhibit nerve signals along the axons and dendrites of live mammalian ...
Read more : Nanowires and neurons | Views : 773 | Replies : 0

Damage found in 'normal' brain tissue

hbabiar@rsna.org
630-590-7762
Radiological Society of North America

Multiple sclerosis damage found in 'normal' brain tissue

OAK BROOK, Ill. -- The effects of multiple sclerosis (MS) extend beyond visibly affected areas into large portions of the brain that outwardly appear normal, according to a study appearing in the September issue of Radiology.

"This disease process in the normal-appearing brain tissue affects the brain globally and has substantial clinical ...
Read more : Damage found in 'normal' brain tissue | Views : 2541 | Replies : 8

Why me?

I often ask myself the why me question - of course the answer is genes and some bad luck coming in contact with the environmental trigger (or perhaps it was God punishing me for laughing at the girl with cerebral palsy at infants school, which seems a bit harsh as Hitler never got a neurological disease!).

Anyway, here is a booklet on genetics for boring nerds like me. Might be handy for those who suffer ...
Read more : Why me? | Views : 1778 | Replies : 13

Oxygen Deprived Brain Repair?

This article has some implications with MS.

Howard Florey Institute, University of Melbourne
August 26, 2006

Oxygen Deprived Brains Repaired And Saved

Scientists from Melbourne's Howard Florey Institute have found special proteins that protect the brain after it has been damaged by a lack of oxygen, which occurs in conditions such as stroke, perinatal asphyxia, near-drowning and traumatic brain injury.

Dr Nicole Jones and her team discovered that during oxygen deprivation, or 'hypoxia', these proteins ...
Read more : Oxygen Deprived Brain Repair? | Views : 994 | Replies : 0

medical malpractice

A trial is scheduled to begin in the very near future in which my wife and I are suing a neurologist for failure to timely diagnose and treat her MS. Does anyone have experience in such a matter?
Read more : medical malpractice | Views : 1030 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219498 • Total topics 22654 • Total members 14279

Contact us | Terms of Service