It is currently Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:47 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Drug info

For those of you who like to know about the meds you are taking (especially off label), the following web site contains a wealth of info, and has a free trial period.

http://www.medicinescomplete.com/mc/
Read more : Drug info | Views : 1027 | Replies : 0

Natalizumab in multiple sclerosis: unclear patient benefits

* Schipper JP.

Ziekenhuis Bethesda, afd. Neurologie, Dr.G.H.Amshoffweg i, 7909 AA Hoogeveen. schipper.j@bethesda.nl

Two large randomised clinical trials were published in March 2006 that evaluated the effect of natalizumab on the incidence of disease exacerbation in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS). Both trials showed that natalizumab reduces the incidence of MS exacerbations, but it is unclear whether patients ultimately benefited ...
Read more : Natalizumab in multiple sclerosis: unclear patient benefits | Views : 1146 | Replies : 0

Still no evidence on the efficacy of immunomodulatory therap

Still no evidence on the efficacy of immunomodulatory therapy in reducing functional impairment in multiple sclerosis

* Vermeulen M.

Academisch Medisch Centrum/Universiteit van Amsterdam, afd. Neurologie, Postbus 22.660, II00 DD Amsterdam.. m.vermeulen@amc.uva.nl

Immunomodulatory therapy reduces the rate of relapse in multiple sclerosis (MS) by 30% in the first year of treatment; the effect in the second year is uncertain. Relapse is caused by the effects of inflammation ...
Read more : Still no evidence on the efficacy of immunomodulatory therap | Views : 1115 | Replies : 0

MS simulator machine

<shortened url>
Just maybe of interest to some...
Read more : MS simulator machine | Views : 1406 | Replies : 3

Th1 and Th2 responses: what are they?

This paper makes a few oft heard terms a little more understandable. I'm not certain of the exact date but I THINK it's from August 12, 2000.
Bob

Th1 and Th2 responses: what are they?

Abi Berger, science editor.

BMJ

Cytokines are the hormonal messengers responsible for most of the biological effects in the immune system, such as cell mediated immunity and allergic type responses. Although they are numerous, cytokines can be functionally divided into ...
Read more : Th1 and Th2 responses: what are they? | Views : 3310 | Replies : 15

EBV / women / smoking / genes

This research tries to tie in various MS risk factors.

<Shortened URL>
Read more : EBV / women / smoking / genes | Views : 1116 | Replies : 1

Micro-RNA miR-155 and immune system regulation

Here's an interesting arctile on immune system regulation from the New York Times.

NHE

Studies Reveal an Immune System Regulator
By Nicholas Wade, April 27, 2007

Scientists working independently in Cambridge, England, and Cambridge, Mass., have discovered an unexpected regulatory network that affects the entire immune system.

The regulatory network may provide new clues to both the working of the body’s immune defenses and the generation of a class of cancers known as lymphomas, which ...
Read more : Micro-RNA miR-155 and immune system regulation | Views : 959 | Replies : 1

Interesting Tidbit I wasn't aware of

From 2002 Journal of Child Neurology

Gender prevalence in childhood multiple sclerosis and myasthenia gravis

Haliloglu, G.Show author details: Subscription required, Anlar, B.Show author details: Subscription required, Aysun, S.Show author details: Subscription required, Topcu, M.Show author details: Subscription required, Topaloglu, H.Show author details: Subscription required, Turanli, G.Show author details: Subscription required, Yalnizoglu, D.Show author details: Subscription required Correspondence address

Department of Pediatric Neurology, Hacettepe University, Ankara 06100, Turkey

Abstract

Multiple sclerosis and myasthenia gravis are ...
Read more : Interesting Tidbit I wasn't aware of | Views : 965 | Replies : 0

Today mice, tomorrow humans?

I love stuff like this.

Mouse brain simulated on computer

BBC -- US researchers have simulated half a virtual mouse brain on a supercomputer.

The scientists ran a "cortical simulator" that was as big and as complex as half of a mouse brain on the BlueGene L supercomputer.

In other smaller simulations the researchers say they have seen characteristics of thought patterns observed in real mouse brains.

Now the team is tuning the simulation to ...
Read more : Today mice, tomorrow humans? | Views : 925 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 227071 • Total topics 23943 • Total members 15237

Contact us | Terms of Service