It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Regenerating neurons

Damping down inflammation can be of benefit but atrophy is the cause of disability and the real breakthrough will be replacing the brain cells we have lost. Here is some positive news in this area.

Ian

Harvard scientists identify compounds that stimulate stem cell growth in the brain

Scientists at Harvard University have identified key compounds that stimulate stem cell growth in the brain, which may one day lead to restored function for people ...
Read more : Regenerating neurons | Views : 881 | Replies : 1

Seizures MS?

Is this common to have seizures? Does anyone have this happening to them... My husband has had 7 since March...begins with a very bad headache. He was diagnosed with MS 7 months ago. MS came out of no where... Seizures come out of no where... we are so frustrated hearing from the Doctors they dont know what is happening. I also posted this under the tysabri forum in error. We have been approved for this ...
Read more : Seizures MS? | Views : 1117 | Replies : 1

ABX -- not really working for me

I’ve been on ABX regimen for sixteen months. And I’ve got to say, with a lot of regret, that its benefits for me appear to have been limited.

I had a single neurological episode (with no prior symptoms) in January 05 which left me pretty weak and screwed up. Within a few weeks I started taking ABX according to a regimen provided through correspondence with by Dr. C Stratton (minocycline, azithromycine, metronidazole).

In the first ...
Read more : ABX -- not really working for me | Views : 3522 | Replies : 22

MS, depression and sad stories...

Hi,
I haven't been on here for a very long time due to lots of upheavel, but I was reading this news story and was frustrated by the lack of understanding between MS and depression... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5297298.stm
When my own husband became depressed, I'm sure it was a physical reaction to something on the brain rather than being sad because he is ill. We have been offered prozac, and it ...
Read more : MS, depression and sad stories... | Views : 1176 | Replies : 0

Warning about stem cell treatment

Scientists warn of 'unproven stem cell treatments'
Last updated at 12:04pm on 29th August 2006

Scientists have warned that some stem cell treatments could kill

A group of leading British scientists warned patients today to be wary of "extravagant" claims made for "unorthodox" stem cell treatments offered abroad.

In a letter to The Times newspaper, the experts praised the UK for establishing itself as a world leader in such research, but said foreign therapies - ...
Read more : Warning about stem cell treatment | Views : 999 | Replies : 0

Exercise and MS

New Hope For Multiple Sclerosis Patients

POSTED: 5:55 pm EDT August 29, 2006
UPDATED: 8:37 pm EDT August 29, 2006

RALEIGH, N.C. -- New research is breaking through old assumptions and helping people with Multiple Sclerosis.

More doctors are rethinking their approach to exercise for patients with Multiple Sclerosis, as a result of recent medical studies. It's a chronic nerve disease that damages parts of the brain and spinal cord and affects about 400,000 people, ...
Read more : Exercise and MS | Views : 1269 | Replies : 5

Fatigue and You

I am very interested to hear from everyone what their experience with fatigue and general tiredness is. I seem to be struggling with being tired more and more as time goes on with MS. I want to know if what I am experiencing is normal for most of us or not.

To be more specific, here is my experience:

For the past 6 mos - 1 year (I have been diagnosed for 3 years) I ...
Read more : Fatigue and You | Views : 2052 | Replies : 7

September 4th is MSRC's PlayMonday Draw

MSRC recently asked for peoples support in attempting to gain the most votes on the web site and we were overwhelmed by the response – even though we came third in the end behind The Guides and The Scouts.

Just think of that though, MSRC only losing out to those 2 huge membership organisations – no wonder we felt humbled by the response and very, very grateful.

So here we are again asking for your ...
Read more : September 4th is MSRC's PlayMonday Draw | Views : 1018 | Replies : 0

Was going to post this under the "Why Me?" topic,

out of respect for my father, whom I nearly just lost, will start this new one.

My “It could always be worse,” coping mantra is being tested to the max, this week.

My 70 year old father, who has rarely been sick a day in his life, suffered a hemorrhagic stroke, last week.

Still employed full-time, he was doing construction on his old family homestead, after work. Friends and family continuously warning him that he ...
Read more : Was going to post this under the "Why Me?" topic, | Views : 2340 | Replies : 19

Nanowires and neurons

Hopefully they will be able to replace lost function with technology, even if they can't fix it with drugs/stem cells.

Nanowire arrays can detect signals along individual neurons
Merger of nanowires and neurons could boost efforts to measure and understand brain activity

Opening a whole new interface between nanotechnology and neuroscience, scientists at Harvard University have used slender silicon nanowires to detect, stimulate, and inhibit nerve signals along the axons and dendrites of live mammalian ...
Read more : Nanowires and neurons | Views : 774 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219648 • Total topics 22677 • Total members 14293

Contact us | Terms of Service