It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:15 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Betaseron v Copaxone

Research suggests that both these drugs are as bad as each other!

No Difference in MS Disease Activity Between Treatments 16 June 2007

Head-to-head comparison of interferon beta-1b (Betaseron, Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals ) and glatiramer acetate (Copaxone, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries) shows comparable efficacy but continuing multiple sclerosis (MS) disease activity with both agents.
The study, called Betaseron vs Copaxone in MS with Triple-Dose Gadolinium and 3-T MRI Endpoints (BECOME), is the first investigator-initiated, ...
Read more : Betaseron v Copaxone | Views : 2303 | Replies : 6

TwistedHelix (Dom) is alive and well!

Dom suffered a massive computer failure but seems well on the way to recovery.

He's in the process of trying to get a new thisisms password so that he can login again.
Read more : TwistedHelix (Dom) is alive and well! | Views : 1295 | Replies : 6

Lyme Disease Cases Double

Interesting article on the increase in LD. this disease has many of the same symptoms of MS as it can affect the central nervous system; however, it can also affect the joints and muscles.
Read more : Lyme Disease Cases Double | Views : 2093 | Replies : 11

MS Frontiers conference

Dear all,

The UK MS Society is holding its MS Frontiers research conference today (Thursday) and tomorrow (Friday). It draws in the world's top MS researchers. One of my neuros is chairing a session and is to report back to me any key news / findings etc. In due course the various presentations will be published on the Society's website. The programme looked very interesting covering a range of issues including stem cells.

Gordon ...
Read more : MS Frontiers conference | Views : 1016 | Replies : 2

New DNA findings

Interesting step on the road to understanding the genome.

The Wider View from a Detailed Focus

Sanger Institute Press Release -- A major study of the organization and regulation of the human genome published today changes our concept of how our genome works. The integrated study is an exhaustive analysis of 1% of the genome that, for the first time, gives an extensive view of genetic activity alongside the cellular machinery that allows DNA to ...
Read more : New DNA findings | Views : 946 | Replies : 0

Protein research

Prof Steinman is presenting at the MS Frontiers conference in London this week so may provide more detail on this research.

Stanford researchers clarify protein's role in multiple sclerosis 13 June 2007

A protein found primarily in the lens of the eye could be the critical "tipping point" in the spiral of inflammation and damage that occurs in multiple sclerosis, researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine report.
This protein - alphaB-crystallin - ...
Read more : Protein research | Views : 967 | Replies : 2

Cladribine - one for Lyon

Now that you have ditched that dreadful shiny shirt and have signed up to the hair-transplant, I thought I'd reward you the research results you like to see.

<shortened url>

Read more : Cladribine - one for Lyon | Views : 1175 | Replies : 1

Histamine research

Central histamine H3 receptor signaling negatively regulates susceptibility to autoimmune inflammatory disease of the CNS. 13 June 2007

Histamine (HA), a biogenic amine with a broad spectrum of activities in both physiological and pathological settings, plays a key regulatory role in experimental allergic encephalomyelitis, the autoimmune model of multiple sclerosis. HA exerts its effect through four G protein-coupled receptors designated HA receptor H1, H2, H3, and H4.
We report here that, compared with wild-type ...
Read more : Histamine research | Views : 2807 | Replies : 20

Emotions gone this relapse?

I'm usually v. good at knowing what's a relapse and what's not - after 9 + years with the MonSter I should be!.

I seem to be crying at very small things. In work this has happened a few times recently. Feel very "teary" today and feel like I am raw emotionally. I know a lot's going on for me and DH right now (I am off Copax last 2 months as trying for ...
Read more : Emotions gone this relapse? | Views : 2052 | Replies : 12

Login  •  Register

Total posts 228627 • Total topics 24189 • Total members 15481

Contact us | Terms of Service