It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:21 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Hormone Study - understanding/translation problem

could someome please help me to understand the results of that study, I think I have problems with the translation:

Link PubMed

RESULTS: Serum testosterone was significantly lower in women with MS than in controls. The lowest levels were found in women with a greater number of gadolinium enhancing lesions. A positive correlation was observed between testosterone concentrations and both tissue damage on MRI and clinical disability.
In men, there was a positive ...
Read more : Hormone Study - understanding/translation problem | Views : 1530 | Replies : 8

Interview with Dr. Marcia Angell

Dr. Marcia Angell, senior lecturer at the Harvard Medical School and former editor of The New England Journal of Medicine and author of the book The Truth About The Drug Companies, How They Deceive Us And What To Do About It reviewed on ThisIsMS here, was recently interviewed on NPR's Radio Open Source. You can find a discussion about the interview here and listen to an MP3 recording of the interview here.

Read more : Interview with Dr. Marcia Angell | Views : 1355 | Replies : 1

Autoantibodies as predictors of disease:

I found this when going through "Autoimmunity Reviews" and, although not specific to MS, hopefully it is of interest.

Autoantibodies as predictors of disease: The clinical and experimental evidence

Nicola BizzaroCorresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author
aLaboratorio di Patologia Clinica, Ospedale Civile, via Morgagni, 18, 33028 Tolmezzo, Italy

Available online 30 January 2007.

Several studies have shown that autoimmune diseases are preceded by a long pre-clinical phase, and that many ...
Read more : Autoantibodies as predictors of disease: | Views : 1282 | Replies : 3

Okay, another new symptom has appeared and it is incredibily annoying. I have experienced what I now think is classified as vertigo. I originally described the feeling as "spacey" or the feeling you get with having had one too many glasses of wine without the benefit of having the wine! But I went to the mountains of North Carolina this past weekend and the feeling was much much more pronounced. So then I thought altitude ...
Read more : vertigo | Views : 1515 | Replies : 8

Lowering Insulin

Here is another article for you, lyndacarol. ... wsid=73284

Medical News Today
Hormone Found In Liver Helps To Induce Ketosis, The Unique Metabolic State Brought About By Low-Carbohydrate Diets
11 Jun 2007

Over the past several years, animal studies have shown that high-fat, low-carbohydrate "ketogenic" diets cause
demonstrable changes in metabolism and subsequent weight loss. Now, researchers at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical
Center (BIDMC) have identified a key ...
Read more : Lowering Insulin | Views : 1487 | Replies : 4

Detailed Minocycline Research info

See link below. This points to the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF). The link points to Dr. Ian Duncan's Research, however it is buried in the patent application. I was disappointed that someone has already patented this, because it tells me that profit is the motivator? Right? Anyway, good info, even if it is on rats...

<shortened url>
Read more : Detailed Minocycline Research info | Views : 2385 | Replies : 16

My physian's assistant suggested that I try it. I'm not sure if she was jocking or not. I'm 45 so I'm starting to notice the thngs that come with middle age males. I told her I was slowly losing the hair on my legs she just fire it out there. I've never had my testosterone level checked so I have no idea what it might be. I've heard horror stories from guys I played football ...
Read more : Testosterone | Views : 3120 | Replies : 16

MS Transmission to spouse

See pubmed link. If I read this right this is saying that there are cases where spouses have given their wife/husband MS. If that is really the case that definitely points to an infectious cause...

<shortened url>
Read more : MS Transmission to spouse | Views : 1152 | Replies : 1

IFN-ß users protected from West Nile Virus?

I had always wondered if folks exposed to WNV (symptomatic or not) developed immunity from it and no longer risked future illness from mosquito bites later on. After reading into this study I discovered that the natural response to infection of the flavivirus is the natural expression of IFN-B to disrupt RNA replication of the virus! Normally the virus interferes with that process to buy it time to replicate -HOWEVER- high dose sc injections 3X/wk ...
Read more : IFN-ß users protected from West Nile Virus? | Views : 1006 | Replies : 0

What do you do to stay well?

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be interesting to know what those people who are well with ms/CIS do to to stay that way.

I mean are you taking any supplements? exercising? meds? diet? whatever.

I have had a CIS and waiting for an mri with contrast to most likely start on Avonex.
I'm well and symptom free thankfully but this is all very new.

Elly :D ...
Read more : What do you do to stay well? | Views : 1517 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Total posts 228633 • Total topics 24190 • Total members 15482

Contact us | Terms of Service