It is currently Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:13 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Apoptosis and HHV6A

HHV6A, along with EBV is a strong condender for the role of viral villain in MS.

Apoptotic effects of Human Herpesvirus-6A on glia and neurons as potential triggers for central nervous system autoimmunity.

J Clin Virol. 2006 Dec;37 Suppl 1:S11-6.
Gardell JL, Dazin P, Islar J, Menge T, Genain CP, Lalive PH.
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco

BACKGROUND: Human Herpesvirus type 6 (HHV-6A and/or HHV-6B) has been tentatively associated with multiple sclerosis ...
Read more : Apoptosis and HHV6A | Views : 1114 | Replies : 1

Clustering of autoimmune diseases

I find it dissapointing that researchers don't find clustering of these diseases as significant as I do, but this article shows that there is at least some consideration of the matter.

Clustering of autoimmune diseases in families with a high-risk for multiple sclerosis: a descriptive study.

http://tinyurl.com/3bcyl8

Bob
Read more : Clustering of autoimmune diseases | Views : 1065 | Replies : 0

Aldehyde poisoning

Okaaay....I think this abstract is saying that failure to eliminate, and therefore the build-up of, Aldehyde could lead to the 'toxic environment' that destroys tissue:

tinyURL

Dom.
Read more : Aldehyde poisoning | Views : 1286 | Replies : 0

Finding the positives of MS

They call it "benefit finding", but I just think of it as looking on the bright side: I met my best friend while we were both in neurological rehab, (he had a terrible car-crash), and we were talking about it the other day -- I can't be glad that I have MS, but I know that, come that wonderful day when all this is over, I will be glad I had it. It's made me ...
Read more : Finding the positives of MS | Views : 4124 | Replies : 30

Johns Eyes

As some here will know I've been trying supplement approach to fix John's eye affected by ON in 1998. The good part is something is happening and he is getting flashes of clarity which have been absent sine 1998. He has also been able to see color again in the past several months. The bad part is I can't tell you which supplement if any are responsible. What a SUCK ASS way to report findings ...
Read more : Johns Eyes | Views : 1316 | Replies : 2

Myelin Repair Foundation Winter 2007 Update

Here's a link to the Myelin Repair Foundation's latest research update. Lots of good stuff, looks like they're making some real progress...

http://tinyurl.com/2jrk2z
Read more : Myelin Repair Foundation Winter 2007 Update | Views : 1850 | Replies : 9

Lp results are in...

Well of course it's positive.

It's not really a shock but i wish the diagnosis was something else.

The neuro has suggested maybe starting on Avonex and i will be seeing him again in May so he will prescribe it then. That will give me time to stop breastfeeding.

Has anyone had an ok experience with Avonex?

Thanks

Elly
Read more : Lp results are in... | Views : 1714 | Replies : 8

Neurology Conferences

Hi all,

In the couple of years that I've had MS, it seems that although there is a steady stream of information generated about MS, some of the more notable results from research are presented at the major neurology conferences. I was wondering if there is a comprehensive list of the major conferences, so one might have an idea of when to expect these sorts of things. For example, I googled AAN and their yearly ...
Read more : Neurology Conferences | Views : 1732 | Replies : 3

C3 necessary for 'maximal' EAE

Complement is part of the immune system. C3b is an Opsonin, (helps white blood cells to bind to foreign tissue), and it sounds to me as if C3b mistakenly binds to self-tissue, thus bonding it to white blood cells, which then destroy it.
C3a also can trigger the release of histamine, which may play a part in some forms of MS:

tinyURL
Read more : C3 necessary for 'maximal' EAE | Views : 827 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 226232 • Total topics 23789 • Total members 15094

Contact us | Terms of Service