It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:19 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Update on Me!

Hey everyone!
Guess what....After 10 years of meds and 17 years of symptoms...countless neuro appt's and blood draws and all the interferon one person can take, my NEW neuro at Mayo clinic IS NOT SURE IF I HAVE MS!!! That's right folks I said UNSURE.....Am I crazy? Go back day after Christmas for 2 days of all the tests you can think of. OH, of incidental note is a cyst in my pineal gland..By the ...
Read more : Update on Me! | Views : 4268 | Replies : 16

Do you expect to deteriorate with time?

Hi guys,

I have recently been reading some posts on other ms forums and so many people seem to be doing quite badly with their ms.
So many different symptoms that they talk about like paralysis of a part of their body, total numbness, loss of bladder/bowel control, extreme fatigue, unable to cope with the heat, vertigo, dizziness, loss of speech, unable to walk etc etc.

I have never experienced any of these symptoms and ...
Read more : Do you expect to deteriorate with time? | Views : 2952 | Replies : 10

Get ready for 24-hour living

Get ready for 24-hour living

SO MUCH to do, so little time. Between a hectic work schedule and a thriving social life, Yves (not his real name), a 31- year-old software developer from Seattle, often doesn't have time for a full night's sleep. So he swallows something to make sure he doesn't need one. "If I take a dose just before I go to bed, I can wake up after 4 or 5 hours and ...
Read more : Get ready for 24-hour living | Views : 1949 | Replies : 4

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

John P. A. Ioannidis

Summary

There is increasing concern that most current published research findings are false. The probability that a research claim is true may depend on study power and bias, the number of other studies on the same question, and, importantly, the ratio of true to no relationships among the relationships probed in each scientific field. In this framework, a research finding is less likely to ...
Read more : Why Most Published Research Findings Are False | Views : 1837 | Replies : 5

High blood pressure and veins

Here's another suggestion that blood vessels have a role to play in MS, this time saying that high blood pressure can cause fistulas, (holes or channels which shouldn't be there and which allow material to flow),

1: Med Hypotheses. 2007 Dec 11
Raised venous pressure as a factor in multiple sclerosis.
Talbert DG.

Institute of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Imperial College School of Medicine, Du Cane Road, London W12 ONN, United ...
Read more : High blood pressure and veins | Views : 1440 | Replies : 0

NAWM

Bob,

As the highest poster by far - I did put a 2,000 limit on your posts but will extend to 3,000 because it's Christmas (sorry Holiday season for those American's too afraid to use the 'c' word) - grateful if you could provide a layman's translation for the following research:

Normal-appearing white matter in multiple sclerosis is in a subtle balance between inflammation and neuroprotection 17 December 2007

Multiple sclerosis is a chronic ...
Read more : NAWM | Views : 1217 | Replies : 0

Immune system destroys Unwanted synapses

An interesting new twist: as the brain grows and develops, connections either grow and are reinforced or fade away and die if they are no use. Except that this piece of research shows they don't just wither away or die through Apoptosis, they are actively killed by the immune system . If this process restarts, or never stops, neurodegeneration can result:

Public release date: 13-Dec-2007
[ Print Article | ...
Read more : Immune system destroys Unwanted synapses | Views : 2613 | Replies : 13

pondering diagnostic trends...

Groups such as the Pima Indians, which didn’t have much diabetes 75–80 years ago, now get it in large numbers. Not only are they being sold genetically engineered insulin as a palliative, but they’re also being told that their problem is in their genes (such as having an entirely hypothetical “thrifty gene”).
Whatever inherent susceptibilities the Pima may have to the bad diet that has been forced on them, their genes certainly have not changed ...
Read more : pondering diagnostic trends... | Views : 1657 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 233445 • Total topics 25047 • Total members 16206

Contact us | Terms of Service