It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:58 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

MS/infection

A new abstract is available ahead of article print on pubmed. Copied below...
Multiple sclerosis: an infectious syndrome involving Chlamydophila pneumoniae.

Stratton CW, Wheldon DB.
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA.

The concept of autoimmune myelinopathy as the primary pathology in multiple sclerosis (MS) is problematic. Vasculitis is seen in the MS brain, both within lesions and in adjacent normal-appearing white matter. The first observation in acute relapse is the sudden, ...
Read more : MS/infection | Views : 8208 | Replies : 34

twitching eye-lid

Awhile ago I posted about weakness in my right eyelid. That's still a constant.

Now, for the last two weeks my *left* eyelid twitches. Perhaps about 20 seconds at a time. But it happens so very, very often during the day.

Today, my husband was able to catch a glimpse of it in action. He said that the movement seemed to come from the the middle of the eyelid and the eyelid moved up and ...
Read more : twitching eye-lid | Views : 15798 | Replies : 14

BBB / global disease

Dear all,

The UK MS Society recently profiled the work of Prof John Greenwood whose work focuses on the BBB.

<shortened url>

By coincidence, I came across the following research on the BBB.

<shortened url>

It got me thinking about whether MS was a global disease of the CNS rather than a focal disease based on lesions etc. I e-mailed one of my neuros who responded -

You are correct that MS is a generalized ...
Read more : BBB / global disease | Views : 955 | Replies : 2

Mitox and copaxone

A combo treatment for aggressive RR. This is the same combo that is being trialled in the UK after good results reported earlier this year.

No mention of EDSS. But this doesn't seem to matter to researchers - it's the number of relapses, reduction in Gd enhancing lesions etc that's important! Then they can generate lots of statistical data and avoid the real question - did the patient get any better?

Very Active Multiple Sclerosis ...
Read more : Mitox and copaxone | Views : 971 | Replies : 0

well i finally did it

well i finally did it there everyone..i finally snapped on my new neurologist this week..he sat there looked thru all my stuff and basically told me there was nothing he could do for me and that i just need to live witht he symptoms for now...so to go back and see my regular family dr if anything changes.....i sat there and couldnt believe it.....he sat there and told me that since nothing was coming up ...
Read more : well i finally did it | Views : 2587 | Replies : 20

NMSS funded research

A list of recently funded NMSS research is attached. Rather annoyingly they cannot afford to fund a trial of estriol but manage to fund numerous mouse focused research. Some of this stuff is a bit deja vu - and there's the usual promise that the research might lead to better treatments etc. There's even some research on histamine - which should please HarryZ.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/pdf/re ... search.pdf
Read more : NMSS funded research | Views : 1663 | Replies : 7

Testosterone and Estrogen

Some info on testoserone and estrogen and their effects on the brain.

Too much testosterone kills brain cells: study

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Too much testosterone can kill brain cells, researchers said on Tuesday in a finding that may help explain why steroid abuse can cause behavior changes like aggressiveness and suicidal tendencies.

Tests on brain cells in lab dishes showed that while a little of the male hormone is good, too much of it causes ...
Read more : Testosterone and Estrogen | Views : 1326 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221006 • Total topics 22914 • Total members 14474

Contact us | Terms of Service