It is currently Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Immune system destroys Unwanted synapses

An interesting new twist: as the brain grows and develops, connections either grow and are reinforced or fade away and die if they are no use. Except that this piece of research shows they don't just wither away or die through Apoptosis, they are actively killed by the immune system . If this process restarts, or never stops, neurodegeneration can result:

Public release date: 13-Dec-2007
[ Print Article | ...
Read more : Immune system destroys Unwanted synapses | Views : 2616 | Replies : 13

pondering diagnostic trends...

Groups such as the Pima Indians, which didn’t have much diabetes 75–80 years ago, now get it in large numbers. Not only are they being sold genetically engineered insulin as a palliative, but they’re also being told that their problem is in their genes (such as having an entirely hypothetical “thrifty gene”).
Whatever inherent susceptibilities the Pima may have to the bad diet that has been forced on them, their genes certainly have not changed ...
Read more : pondering diagnostic trends... | Views : 1659 | Replies : 4

Biogen News: Back to Reality

UPDATE: Biogen Shares Fall 28% After It Admits It Has No Buyers
December 13, 2007: 12:03 AM EST

Shares of Biogen Idec Inc. plunged as much as 28% in late trading Wednesday after the biotechnology giant said a search for potential buyers failed to turn up suitors.

Biogen's (BIIB) board of directors said Wednesday that it will continue to be an independent company after it did not receive "any definitive offers to purchase the company." ...
Read more : Biogen News: Back to Reality | Views : 1801 | Replies : 4

ECTRIMS 2007

Here is some further info on the recent ECTRIMS conference. The first is an interesting interview with Dr Mark Freedman.

These links were posted on the ACP website today.

Ian

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/566033

http://www.medscape.com/viewprogram/7934?src=mp
Read more : ECTRIMS 2007 | Views : 1247 | Replies : 0

ACP video

Accelerated Cure Project has a new video detailing exactly what the organization does. I encourage you to watch the video. Let me know what you think.
Lori

www.acceleratedcure.org/video/acp-appeal2007.php
Read more : ACP video | Views : 1311 | Replies : 0

Cymbalta

I was on Effexor for 5 years. My 19 year old son had cancer and I needed it to cope. He is fine now----hallelujah! :D

I recently started hearing more and more about Cymbalta and how it could help with nerve pain. I was ready for a change; I think the Effexor was no longer helping and making me irratible and grouchy.

I asked my neuro ...
Read more : Cymbalta | Views : 1523 | Replies : 1

Nerve regeneration research

This looks like a promising development in neuroregeneration.

Neurotransmitters in biopolymers stimulate nerve regeneration

Research reported December 11 in the journal Advanced Materials describes a potentially promising strategy for encouraging the regeneration of damaged central nervous system cells known as neurons.

The technique would use a biodegradable polymer containing a chemical group that mimics the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to spur the growth of neurites, which are projections that form the connections among neurons and between neurons ...
Read more : Nerve regeneration research | Views : 1598 | Replies : 1

Neurologist Dan Milder's SP & PP treatment Hypothesis

I accidental flicked onto a "press club" interview on TV of this doctor who thinks he MAY have found a possible treatment for SP & PP MS. He was very reasonable (he was coming across as arrogant, but it could of been misdirected anger) and all he was saying is that he thinks it should be investigated, he is not saying its an absolute truth. He seemed a little upset that considering there is no ...
Read more : Neurologist Dan Milder's SP & PP treatment Hypothesis | Views : 3750 | Replies : 5

Antibiotics

An article from the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7136088.stm

There's not a ton of data there and the article admits it was a small study but it just shows more signs that antibiotics could help MS patients. Every little bit counts!
Read more : Antibiotics | Views : 1437 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 233468 • Total topics 25051 • Total members 16209

Contact us | Terms of Service