It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:48 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Progression vs symptom relief

The posted slide show about cannabinoids raised a question I've had for a while.

I note that in discussion of, say, statins, a number of people report seeing improvements rather quickly. Same with supplements, people report VitD etc has made a real difference and they feel worse if they miss a few days.

I am, in fact, one of these people. But while symptom relief is obviously a good thing, it doesn't mean that progression ...
Read more : Progression vs symptom relief | Views : 852 | Replies : 0

Cannabinoid Research Info

Hi all

Here's a clever (IMO) and understandable presentation (pdf) on some of the research about marijuana and MS from the MS Care Conference in June.

The Present: Marijuana, Cannabinoids and MS by Claude Vaney, M.D.

Whether or not it's neuroprotective seems to be one of the outstanding questions. That would be nice. :)

Sharon
Read more : Cannabinoid Research Info | Views : 980 | Replies : 1

Doc dropped "MS" as a possible. Ideas?

I know you all probably get tired of people posting, "Is this MS?" and I'm sorry to subject you to yet another one of these. But this whole thing is going so slowly and I'm getting frustrated and I feel so *utterly alone*.

I'll try to be brief, but it's a bit impossible. If you have time, I beg you to read it because I'm very scared and wonder if there's anyone else who is ...
Read more : Doc dropped "MS" as a possible. Ideas? | Views : 1767 | Replies : 9

MS Research in Zurich

Not sure if any of you have heard of Dr Bernard Becher, but I was alerted to an article in a Swiss paper recently concerning a very novel approach to understanding and combating MS. I have managed to find a brief explanation of the therapy:

http://www.wrgfm.com/news/1774

The other articles are in French/German, but I will try and find what I can.

Sounds very promising!

Raj
Read more : MS Research in Zurich | Views : 1237 | Replies : 3

MS in Scotland

This article suggests that North East Scotland has the highest level of MS in the world at 1 in 700 (I had read that the rate was 1:500 in Colorado and parts of New England). The definition of MS in the article is somewhat flawed, suggesting that it's in the spinal cord and works itself up!

Ian

North-east Scotland has highest MS rate in the world

The North-east of Scotland has the highest number people ...
Read more : MS in Scotland | Views : 1546 | Replies : 7

Nutrition

The Boston Cure Project has published its findings in relation to nutrition.

http://www.acceleratedcure.org/download ... agents.pdf

Given that I always ate my greens and still got MS, I'm quite happy with my current diet of chocolate and diet coke.

Ian
Read more : Nutrition | Views : 1014 | Replies : 1

Immune system and repair of spinal injury

A bit of scientific controversy with MS implications...

Enlisting the immune system to fix broken spines

22 August 2006 -- NewScientist.com -- A vaccination that stimulates immune cell production could be key to enabling people with serious spinal injuries to walk again, researchers say.

However, the study has been criticised by some experts in the neurological field who remain sceptical about the findings.

The controversial research claims come from a team at the Weizmann Institute ...
Read more : Immune system and repair of spinal injury | Views : 1243 | Replies : 4

QUESTION ABOUT NABS.

what are they trying to say. that the intreferon could be bad for the people using it? i know its a dumb question but im new to the lingo and research. thanks for your help..
Read more : QUESTION ABOUT NABS. | Views : 1613 | Replies : 10

mitochondrial dysfunction

Mitochondrial dysfunction seems to be getting quite a bit of research attention these days, lets hope all the study leads to effective therapies.

Mitochondrial protein nitration primes neurodegeneration in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.

J Biol Chem. 2006 Aug 18;
Qi X, Lewin AS, Sun L, Hauswirth WW, Guy J.
Ophthalmology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32605.

The mechanisms of axonal and neuronal degeneration causing visual and neurologic disability in multiple sclerosis are poorly understood. Here we ...
Read more : mitochondrial dysfunction | Views : 1206 | Replies : 3

Remyelination

Now if they could just figure out why this is happening...

Remyelination is extensive in a subset of multiple sclerosis patients.

Brain. 2006 Aug 18;
Patrikios P, Stadelmann C, Kutzelnigg A, Rauschka H, Schmidbauer M, Laursen H, Sorensen PS, Bruck W, Lucchinetti C, Lassmann H.
Center for Brain Research, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria.

Although spontaneous remyelination does occur in multiple sclerosis lesions, its extent within the global population with this disease is presently ...
Read more : Remyelination | Views : 1068 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220005 • Total topics 22745 • Total members 14351

Contact us | Terms of Service