It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:54 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Jellyfish and neuroprotection

Brain Research Supports Drug Development From Jellyfish Protein

With the research support from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, a Wisconsin biotech company has found that a compound from a protein found in jellyfish is neuro-protective and may be effective in treating neurodegenerative diseases.

Testing of aequorin has yielded promising results, said Mark Y. Underwood of Quincy Bioscience located in Madison. Researcher James Moyer, Jr., an assistant professor at UW-Milwaukee, subjected brain cells to the "lab" equivalent ...
Read more : Jellyfish and neuroprotection | Views : 683 | Replies : 0

Research

WARNING - For those who have issues with the NMSS please don't read any further.

Dear all,

The NMSS is pumping a vast amount of $s into MS research. I have had good impressions of the NMSS having had correspondence with their head and their director of research. The NMSS also is happy to fund overseas researchers such as one of my neuros, Prof Giovannoni, and other top dogs at Cambridge.

Here is a list ...
Read more : Research | Views : 4062 | Replies : 46

a new twist for LC!

okay lc get ready for your mind to explode.

you know how your doc said there is no medicine to lower insulin? but then it turns out naltrexone does it? okay here's how you can also help your body from cranking it out - using dietary measures, which apparently also don't exist, whatever...

so here we go. this is an introductory excerpt from a little read that really freaked me out:

http://www.rense.com/general67/msg.htm

MSG - The ...
Read more : a new twist for LC! | Views : 1119 | Replies : 7

Genes / environment interaction

The term genes / environment interaction seems to be the buzz phrase at the moment. Here is another Canadian researcher looking at the issue. Professor Ebers is another Canadian MS researcher looking at genes - his project which is being funded by the UK MS Society should finish at the end of the year. Details in the link provided below this article.

Ian

Scientist outlines genetics, MS link

As a teenager, Dessa Sadovnick screened ...
Read more : Genes / environment interaction | Views : 782 | Replies : 1

IL-23

Gene Could Point to Crohn's, Colitis Treatments

By Ed Edelson
HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, Oct. 26 (HealthDay News) -- A newly discovered gene may help protect carriers against Crohn's disease and colitis, inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs) that affect an estimated one million Americans, researchers say.

The gene produces a protein that's key to a cellular receptor for interleukin-23 (IL-23), a protein involved in the body's inflammatory processes, explains a report published in the Oct. 27 issue ...
Read more : IL-23 | Views : 848 | Replies : 0

My Ebook about MS is ready!!!

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited that I can now sell my 1st Ebook. :D It is called "My MS Blessing" I had trouble getting it up to purchase, but finally it is ready. It sells for only $5.99. So, if you are intrested, buy, buy, buy! I am in the process of writing more (children's series, funny books, etc. all about MS.) I'm only focusing ...
Read more : My Ebook about MS is ready!!! | Views : 1120 | Replies : 0

Neurofascin

Not so long ago this disease was described as an auto-immune disease where the T cells attacked myelin. This seemed to have kept the researchers busy for 50 years. Now we hear that B cells are involved and that MS is a generalised disease which affects the whole CNS rather than a focal disease based on myelin. Some recent discussions I have had have suggested that Myelin Based Protein (MBP) may not be the target ...
Read more : Neurofascin | Views : 942 | Replies : 0

Women - get out of Canada

The usual ratio of females to males getting MS is 2:1. However, this seems to be increasing in Canada (and I also saw similar data for Denmark). Surely someone can work out what is going on!

I'd offer Canadian women the chance to come back to the home country (for those with English ancestry) but we are pretty full. Canadian men e.g. Dignan might want to advertise for wives in Florida as the MS risk ...
Read more : Women - get out of Canada | Views : 2947 | Replies : 29

Memory loss and infections

ROCHESTER, Minn., Oct. 23 -- Memory loss could be contagious.
A lifetime of infections with rhinoviruses, enteroviruses, or other members of the picornavirus family could lead to cumulative memory loss, according to neuroscientist Charles L. Howe, Ph.D., at the Mayo Clinic here, and colleagues.

"Our findings suggest that picornavirus infections throughout the lifetime of an individual may chip away at the cognitive reserve, increasing the likelihood of detectable cognitive impairment as the individual ages," they ...
Read more : Memory loss and infections | Views : 1140 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 222337 • Total topics 23092 • Total members 14619

Contact us | Terms of Service