It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:36 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

homocysteine - i'll show u mine....

hi :D ne1 out there know their homocysteine level? i read a study that said the mean level in the ms group was around 13 mumol/l, and the mean for healthy controls was 10. a figure showed that max and min for each group was only about +/-2 around the mean. my hcy is 6. don't know what's up with that, so looking for comparisons amongst ...
Read more : homocysteine - i'll show u mine.... | Views : 1245 | Replies : 2

Antibiotics caused MS?

The woman in the article claims that taking antibiotics "triggered" her to get MS.

Antibiotics led me to become blind and crippled

Mar 20 2006

A GRANDMOTHER who believes she developed multiple sclerosis after taking antibiotics for a sore throat has urged fellow sufferers not to give up hope of a cure.

Reading-born Sue Moore, 57, claims prescription drugs caused a surplus of yeast - called candida or candida albicans - in her body. That, ...
Read more : Antibiotics caused MS? | Views : 1350 | Replies : 3

Will You Share Your Relationship Experiences?

I've been asked to write an article for the LDN Research Trust Newsletter on how MS impacts relationships. I'd like to cover it from both the person with MS's perspective and from the perspective of someone in a relationship with someone with MS.

I have my own experience and that of a few friends, but I'd love to hear from others who are willing to share the troubles MS has caused them in relationships as ...
Read more : Will You Share Your Relationship Experiences? | Views : 1436 | Replies : 8

Antioxidant Bilirubin and MS

It will be interesting to see if they can translate this research into a treatment to test.

Biliverdin reductase, a major physiologic cytoprotectant, suppresses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.

Free Radic Biol Med. 2006 Mar 15;40(6):960-7. Epub 2005 Oct 17.
Liu Y, Liu J, Tetzlaff W, Paty DW, Cynader MS.
Brain Research Center, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5.

Oxidative stress plays an important role in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis ...
Read more : Antioxidant Bilirubin and MS | Views : 884 | Replies : 0

Cannabinoids reduce axonal injury

A cannabinoid "dramatically reduced peroxynitrite-induced axonal injury"...I would never had thought a phrase like that would be music to my ears.

Therapeutic action of cannabinoid on axonal injury induced by peroxynitrite.

Brain Res. 2006 Mar 3;1076(1):238-42. Epub 2006 Feb 13.
Yang C, Hader W, Zhang X.
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Saskatchewan, 701 Queen Street, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7K 0M7.

This study examined whether the potent cannabinoid HU210 ameliorates axonal injury through ...
Read more : Cannabinoids reduce axonal injury | Views : 825 | Replies : 0

How We Get Fooled

Well, here I am going to talk only about how we get fooled by research on anything but for us specifically CRABS. I've wanted to do this for a long time. I am taking abx, but this is not related so if that's not your thing read on with confidence, it's about trials and how they work. People put huge faith in trials, less in personal experiences. This seems scientific and wise. But do we ...
Read more : How We Get Fooled | Views : 3272 | Replies : 16

Figuring out viruses

Hopefully one day in the not-too-distant future they can apply this technology to some of the viruses implicated in MS like EBV and HHV6a.

Supercomputer builds a virus - Vast simulation captures molecules in motion.

Nature - One of the world's most powerful supercomputers has conjured a fleeting moment in the life of a virus. The researchers say the simulation is the first to capture a whole biological organism in such intricate molecular detail.

The ...
Read more : Figuring out viruses | Views : 1018 | Replies : 1

Dr Steinman webcast

Transcript of Friday's NMSS webcast is attached. Ths one is with Dr Steinman and is about discovering better treatments. He mentions a DNA vaccine in trail and another trial of Altered Peptide Ligand (hope I've got the spelling right and that it wasn't the APL trial that was recently pulled). he also mentions FTY720.

On the down side he was asked why different sufferers have different responses to treatments. He said that it can depend ...
Read more : Dr Steinman webcast | Views : 1102 | Replies : 4

Headaches

I've suffered from headaches since I was a teenager. I used to think they were sinus headaches and always medicated myself accordingly. I had a headache for months after my first MS attack. I finally went to ENT who told me my headaches were from muscle tension. This seems consistent with my other symptoms but I would like to hear from someone else who has MS and headaches. Do you have headaches and if so, ...
Read more : Headaches | Views : 1477 | Replies : 6

Not sure if this has been posted

Public release date: 16-Mar-2006

press_releases@the-jci.org
212-342-9006
Journal of Clinical Investigation

Combining multiple treatments improves multiple sclerosis therapy
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory autoimmune disease of the central nervous system (CNS) in which white blood cells known as lymphocytes attack the myelin insulation on nerves in the spinal cord and brain. Glatiramer acetate (GA) is a drug ...
Read more : Not sure if this has been posted | Views : 1594 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216391 • Total topics 22112 • Total members 13905