It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:11 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

EBV

Some research on EBV and MS (EBV usually known as Glandular Fever in the UK and Mono in the US).

I've been invited to attend and EBV/MS seminar at the Institute of Neurology later this month, so will be keen to find out what the latest thinking is.

Ian

Epstein-Barr Infection Linked to Multiple Sclerosis 02 March 2006

Patients diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis in young adulthood as a result of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection have ...
Read more : EBV | Views : 848 | Replies : 0

Radio show will run more MS stories if you vote

I have a friend who does a radio show called Life Love & Health. It's on XM and a few NPR affiliates, as well as internationally on Voice of America and American Forces Network.

He's done a show or two about MS and I've been coaxing him to do more, so he agreed to put a poll on the show's website about autoimmune diseases to gauge interest. It's here, on the lower left:

Read more : Radio show will run more MS stories if you vote | Views : 1112 | Replies : 2

Who owns this site?

Begs the question who profits from this site? IF profit is involved - maybe the site is not as "unbiased" as one would think. hmmm...

Just out of curosity : Do a whois search on the domain name "thisisms.com" then do a search on the phone number listed
(480) 624-2599 I did... You'll get tons of listings -

While your at it do a search on ExperienceProject.com (a link at the bottom of the main ...
Read more : Who owns this site? | Views : 2436 | Replies : 15

Reparative cells

Dear all,

MS news articles are thin on the ground at the moment. Tysabri is the dominant story (for Harry Z it must be like Christmas has come early). The following is about the possibility of repairing damage by blocking genes such as Nogo and Lingo 1. Who comes up with these names? I imagine a bored neurologist with some scrabble letters instead of getting on with the real business of working out what this ...
Read more : Reparative cells | Views : 897 | Replies : 1

Some Questions

In the past few weeks I've noted John has some problem with chocking more while eating. When I mention it of course he gets defensive and proclaims he just swallowed something the wrong way but it is happening a fair amount. I've noted him clearing his throat all the time as well but he says he must have a cold as it's just phlegm. It is unlike him to have that problem other than in ...
Read more : Some Questions | Views : 1164 | Replies : 4

The New Face of MS - 2/28 WSJ

The New Face of Multiple Sclerosis

Doctors Increasingly Detect
The Disorder in Children;
Recognizing Early Signs
By AMY DOCKSER MARCUS
February 28, 2006; Page D1

Multiple sclerosis, a potentially devastating disease that affects the central nervous system, has long been considered an adult condition. But doctors are increasingly diagnosing the disease in children and teens -- and they believe that thousands more young people may have symptoms that are going undetected.

As a result, medical ...
Read more : The New Face of MS - 2/28 WSJ | Views : 1298 | Replies : 1

Genes

The title of this research paper looked very promising but didn't quite deliver what I was expecting. I know that they (MS researchers) are getting nearer to identifying the genes that make one susceptible - but even if they do identify them can anything be done about it?

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... e_end.html
Read more : Genes | Views : 1126 | Replies : 1

Testosterone Phase I Results

Bromley--this one is for you. What timing. It's an abstract from the AAN meeting in early April.

A Pilot Study of Testosterone Treatment for Men with Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis
Nancy L. Sicotte, Barbara S. Giesser, Vinita Tandon, Barbara Steiner, Ricki Klutch, Ann Drain, David W. Shattuck, Laura Hull, Ronald Swerdloff, Torrance, CA, Rhonda R. Voskuhl, Los Angeles, CA

OBJECTIVE: To determine the effect of testosterone treatment in men with relapsing remitting MS.

BACKGROUND: ...
Read more : Testosterone Phase I Results | Views : 1339 | Replies : 3

Fact or fiction?

As another week ends, new visitors to this site (which covers a huge range of possible MS therapies, including abx) are re-directed to cpn-help - a site dedicated to one treatment approach. And why wouldn't new members be interested. MS is a degenerative disease and most treatments at best slow down the progress, with some treatments providing some repair / return of function (e.g. Campath - where some have experienced a small improvement in their ...
Read more : Fact or fiction? | Views : 3817 | Replies : 23

Hormones and myelin

Sharon,

This is my be nice to Sharon week. Another article on hormones.

My advice for men on how to avoid MS - avoid EBV; don't use sunscreen; don't drink from aluminium cans; up your testosterone levels. Not sure how you achieve the last one.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Resear ... eb23-2.asp

Sharon the article has a good link to all the sex hormone research.

You might remember my bald men don't get ...
Read more : Hormones and myelin | Views : 1214 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216413 • Total topics 22111 • Total members 13902