It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Spironolactone - any affect on MS

I used to take spironolactone for my skin but quit back in August of 2006 when I was diagnosed. I have done a google search but haven't found any info about it's possible affects on MS. Does anyone have any comments on it's use and if it affected their condition in any way? I would like to go back on it since it really works to keep my skin clear.

Any opinions would be helpful. ...
Read more : Spironolactone - any affect on MS | Views : 1916 | Replies : 2

Systems biology

An interesting article in The Economist discusses the rise of systems biology and makes some points that I think a lot of people here might agree with:

The Human Genome Project, for example, was a triumph of reductionism. But merely listing genes does not explain how they collaborate to build and run an organism. Nor do isolated cells or biological molecules give full insight into the causes and development of diseases that ravage whole organs ...
Read more : Systems biology | Views : 1301 | Replies : 0

Elevated liver enzymes

Hi there1
I am new to this whole message board thing, but have a question. I am 33 and have had rrms since I was 17-am very lucky so far. BUT I switched to Rebif about 3 months ago, and had to stop Oct 12th due to elevated liver enzymes. From my neuro I am hearing 3 times normal level. I am no rocket scientist, but I AM NOT trying that again!! I have never ...
Read more : Elevated liver enzymes | Views : 2317 | Replies : 13

New causes of neurodegeneration

Interesting finding that could one day lead to a better understanding of MS.

Scientists Find New Causes For Neurodegeneration

ScienceDaily - Oct. 25, 2007 - A new finding from University of Michigan researchers demonstrates an unpredicted link between a virtually unknown signaling molecule and neuron health.

In a study in PNAS, graduate student, Yanling Zhang, postdoctoral fellow Sergey Zolov and Life Sciences Institute professor Lois Weisman connect the loss of this molecule to massive neurodegeneration ...
Read more : New causes of neurodegeneration | Views : 1931 | Replies : 2

Lyon - do something useful

Bob,

You seem to have too much time on your hands and I'm a busy man. Attached are interviews with a number of MS researchers who presented at the MS Frontiers conference. Please could you watch them and report back. Sorry if this interferes with your hobbies (watching American football, baseball, basketball, wrestling etc etc).

Ian

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/go.rm?id=20777
Read more : Lyon - do something useful | Views : 1793 | Replies : 3

Direct route from the brain to the immune system

We know that inflammation has a useful role to play, but that it can be very damaging when it runs out of control. This discovery of the Vagus nerve's involvement might lead to a way of modulating this response,

Public release date: 24-Oct-2007
jtalan@nshs.edu
516-562-1232
North Shore-Long Island Jewish (LIJ) Health System

Scientists discover a direct route from the brain to the immune system
– It used ...
Read more : Direct route from the brain to the immune system | Views : 1448 | Replies : 0

Cellsept & Copaxone or Cellsept & Pulse Roids

I had an appt with my neuro yesterday we had been discussing changing my therapy due to the depression side effects I get from my Avonex. Currently I'm on Avonex and pulse roids and this has worked very well for me since switching from Copaxone. He mentioned Tysabri which I'm not currently comfortable with at this time. He mentioned the only other options he is thinking about considering in my case would be Cellsept & ...
Read more : Cellsept & Copaxone or Cellsept & Pulse Roids | Views : 1711 | Replies : 0

Strange skin lesions- Morgellons?

Hi community-

Hubby (dx w/MS in March '07) has had several strange skin lesions develop since last spring. Newest one is on upper lip, and is sprouting black fiber looking things. Came across an article on Morgellons disease and found this site-

http://www.morgellons.org/

Apparently, Morgellons appears often with Lyme infection. Morgellons sufferers have been diagnosed with MS, ALS, Alzheimers. It was at first believed to be a psychiatric disorder ...
Read more : Strange skin lesions- Morgellons? | Views : 2451 | Replies : 2

MS Events in Boston and San Francisco (no charge)

I'd like to invite the ThisIsMS community to attend either (or both) of the Accelerated Cure Project Annual Events this year. They are both free of charge, both cocktail party with lecture format, and both feature guest speakers talking about ongoing MS research and also the activities of the Accelerated Cure Project.

They both require RSVP, though, so please do that if you'd like to come.

San Francisco Friday Nov 9th details:
http://www.acceleratedcure.org/events/eventpages/20071109_sfannual.php

Boston Saturday ...
Read more : MS Events in Boston and San Francisco (no charge) | Views : 1646 | Replies : 2

Caution: Killing Germs May Be Hazardous to Your Health

http://www.newsweek.com/id/57368

Exerpts:

In terms of infectious disease, the environment of the American suburb is unquestionably a far healthier place than most of the rest of the world. But we've made a Faustian bargain with our antibiotics, because most researchers now believe that our supersanitized world exacts a unique price in allergies, asthma and autoimmune diseases, most of which were unknown to our ancestors. Sachs warns that many people drew ...
Read more : Caution: Killing Germs May Be Hazardous to Your Health | Views : 2098 | Replies : 8

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 233456 • Total topics 25047 • Total members 16206

Contact us | Terms of Service