It is currently Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:23 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

minocycline (for stroke)

Read more : minocycline (for stroke) | Views : 1326 | Replies : 0

SF1019 and Alan Osmand's date has passed...

Another post reminded me of the statement on Alan Osmand's web site of up and coming info on sf1019, so I went back to check it out, only to be disappointed.
alanosmand wrote:Hello! It's August 16th,
Within the next 2-3 weeks, I'll have information on this website, that will be directing you to the appropriate website by Argyll BioTechnologies that contains information about the scientific breakthrough drug that I have been working with the last ...
Read more : SF1019 and Alan Osmand's date has passed... | Views : 2261 | Replies : 4

Antibody Promotes Remyelination

Preclinical Study Published in Nature Medicine Shows Anti-LINGO-1 Antibody Promotes Remyelination
Suggests Potential Role in the Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis and Other
Demyelinating Diseases

CAMBRIDGE, MASS., September 30 /CNW/ - Biogen Idec (NASDAQ: BIIB) announced today the publication of findings from a preclinical study reporting that the anti-LINGO-1 antibody can promote spinal cord remyelination and axonal integrity, suggesting a potential role as a treatment for multiple sclerosis (MS) and other demyelinating diseases of the central ...
Read more : Antibody Promotes Remyelination | Views : 2997 | Replies : 7

Machine that "sees" lesions in gray/white matter

Is there currently a type of machine that can locate lesions in the white and gray matter of MS patients?

I just had an MRI last week and it showed no lesions at all in my brain even though I have had a diagnosis based on symptoms of MS for over 35 years. The neurologist that my doctor called while I was in her office last week told her that if no lesions were showing ...
Read more : Machine that "sees" lesions in gray/white matter | Views : 1631 | Replies : 3

Alzheimers may be type 3 diabetes

lyndacarol,

Here is an article describing how insulin may be the cause of the brain damage in Alzheimer's. Maybe it might also relate to MS.

Theory That Alzheimer's Disease Is A Third Form Of Diabetes Supported By Discovery, 29 Sep 2007

Insulin, it turns out, may be as important for the mind as it is for the body. Research in the last few years has raised the possibility that Alzheimer's memory loss could be due ...
Read more : Alzheimers may be type 3 diabetes | Views : 1515 | Replies : 1

Sad news

It is with great sadness that I have to advise the readers of this forum that my wife Marg passed away late this afternoon.

After suffering from MS for over 36 years and in the past year from various ailments, she is finally at peace. She was recently admitted to hospital with Pancreatitis but had several other medical problems as well.

Harry
Read more : Sad news | Views : 13212 | Replies : 78

The etiopathogenesis of autoimmunity

Not recent, but interesting.

Semin Liver Dis. 2005 Aug;25(3):239-50.Click here to read Links
The etiopathogenesis of autoimmunity.
Mackay IR.

Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia. ian.mackay@med.monash.edu.au

Acquisition by mammals of an adaptive immune system was an evolutionary leap, but occurred at the cost of autoimmunity. The necessity for self-recognition was appreciated in 1900, but autoimmune disease did not become a clinical reality until the ...
Read more : The etiopathogenesis of autoimmunity | Views : 1369 | Replies : 0

Stem cell trial

Dear all,

This should be posted in the stem cell forum, but it's a good news story and worth sticking in the general discussion forum. I posted an article before on this trial, but the BBC now has an article which provides more information. It's good news because Prof Scolding is one of our best MS researchers with a particular interest in stem cells. Actually starting a trial like this is a big step forward ...
Read more : Stem cell trial | Views : 1601 | Replies : 2

Easy Fatigue after Spinal Tap?

I'm a 20 year old guy who is(was?) also an athlete. Recently after a bout with optic neuritis after MRIs and such I was given a spinal tap, the results of which came out fine. After a week being layed up with the positional headache I started to out and try to do my thing, which is running. I noticed I couldn't go as far or as fast as before my tap but I wrote ...
Read more : Easy Fatigue after Spinal Tap? | Views : 2936 | Replies : 12

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 233385 • Total topics 25040 • Total members 16200

Contact us | Terms of Service