It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:50 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Disability

Pyramidal tract mapping by diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging in multiple sclerosis: improving correlations with disability.

by Wilson M, Tench CR, Morgan PS, Blumhardt LD.
Division of Clinical Neurology, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham University, Nottingham, UK.

doctormartin.wilson@virgin.net

BACKGROUND: Current magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) outcome measures such as T2 lesion load correlate poorly with disability in multiple sclerosis. Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) of the brain can provide unique information regarding the ...
Read more : Disability | Views : 907 | Replies : 0

pirfenidone

Treatment for MS - Hope

For years, Sarah Moore endured slurred speech, difficulty moving and constant exhaustion after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1975.
Desperate for any way to stop the disease's progression, the former teacher was the first user of Deskar, an investigational drug developed by Dallas pharmacologist Solomon B. Margolin and tested by neurologist Dr. Jonathan E. Walker, medical director at Neuroscience Centers in Dallas.

Now Moore, who had to use a ...
Read more : pirfenidone | Views : 1175 | Replies : 1

Cladribine

I recently received the following invite to apply to take part in a clinical trial and was wondering if anyone had either heard of it or had any views on it.

The CLARITY Study

It’s about the freedom to choose the treatment that works best for you. That’s why researchers are studying an oral form of an investigational medicine (a tablet) to determine whether it is safe and effective in treating relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.

The ...
Read more : Cladribine | Views : 1369 | Replies : 3

Physical Rehabilitation and MS

I know I have probably whined too much on this site about the state of MS drug development and the usefullness of existing drugs. I'll probably continue to complain about all that. In the meantime, however, I have been seeing a few interesting articles about physical rehabilitation in MS patients. I became interested about exercise when I saw on TV a few months ago a show about a man in his 60s with Parkinson's disease ...
Read more : Physical Rehabilitation and MS | Views : 1646 | Replies : 8

simple question

Why don't they prescribe anti-inflammatories like naprosyn or ibuprophen to us? They use steroids to stop the inflammation if we have an attack. They like the anti-inflammatory effect of many new drugs. They are trying to stop the damage of the inflammation of the myelin....
We use anti-inflammatories when people have migraines so they do reach the brain.
I may have missed the explanation before I joined this forum. I will ask my neuro on ...
Read more : simple question | Views : 1245 | Replies : 4

Proteomics

Interesting article from the economist that isn't specifically about MS, but about neurodegenerative diseases in general.

From The Economist:

July 6, 2006 -- After the genome, the proteome! That was the cry when the scientific bigwigs running the Human Genome Project were asked what came next. Proteomics—identifying the structure and abundance of all of the proteins in an organism, as genomics sought to identify all of the genes—is a harder and more open-ended task. But, ...
Read more : Proteomics | Views : 737 | Replies : 0

Th17 (3rd subtype of white blood cell)

This is a very interesting discovery

"For decades, Th1 and Th2 were the twin middlemen of the human immune system. Scientists knew that these two subtypes of white blood cells activated and directed other immune cells in fighting viral, bacterial and fungal infections, and even some cancers.

Thus, the processes surrounding Th1 and Th2 were attractive targets for researchers working on new treatments.

But as it turns out, the twins may be triplets, a development ...
Read more : Th17 (3rd subtype of white blood cell) | Views : 1646 | Replies : 10

Tetramers

Seattle in demand on even a molecular level - Tetramers

Widely sought tetramers help diagnose disease.

Thanks to Dr. Jerry Nepom and his gang of scientists at a research facility few people might know by name, Seattle provides much of the world with a spiderlike molecule that has become one of the research community's hottest new tools.

Tetramers are artificial molecules with four arms that can seek out and latch on to specific targets in ...
Read more : Tetramers | Views : 755 | Replies : 0

Another MRI....

I am going in for another MRI on July 10th (this coming Monday). The last time I had an MRI was June 24th, 2005. This MRI had a lot of small lesions scattered all over my brain. My presenting symptom was Nystagmus of the right eye. Since then, I've had no symptoms that I've noticed. I've been taking Rebif since last August, but as of late, i've not been adhearing to the 3 days a ...
Read more : Another MRI.... | Views : 3344 | Replies : 24

Epigenetics

I'll start by apologizing for the brutally long post.

I've always been bothered by the incidence of MS among identical twins. Studies typically find that when one identical twin is diagnosed with MS, the other has a 20-30% chance of also being diagnosed. I think the chances in the general population are usually said to be in the 1 in 500 to 1 in 1,000 range (or 0.2% - 0.1% chance of getting MS).

The ...
Read more : Epigenetics | Views : 4572 | Replies : 21

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220811 • Total topics 22881 • Total members 14450

Contact us | Terms of Service