It is currently Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:15 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

More evidence on Cannabis for pain

Hopefully regulators around the world get their thumbs out and start approving cannabis in whatever form for MS-related pain.

Meta-analysis of cannabis based treatments for neuropathic and multiple sclerosis-related pain.

Curr Med Res Opin. 2007 Jan;23(1):17-24.
Iskedjian M, Bereza B, Gordon A, Piwko C, Einarson TR.
PharmIdeas Research & Consulting Inc., Oakville, ON, Canada; PharmIdeas USA Inc., Charlotte, NC, USA.

OBJECTIVE: Debilitating pain, occurring in 50-70% of multiple sclerosis (MS) patients, is poorly understood and ...
Read more : More evidence on Cannabis for pain | Views : 2059 | Replies : 12

B cells

Edmond scientist discovers hidden antibodies in mice

A discovery by an Oklahoma Medical Research scientist has discredited the 50-year-old accepted dogma that disease fighting cells in the body carry only one protein.

Edmond’s Patrick Wilson has discovered that B cells can make a mistake when the cells bind to human tissue and change receptors. Cells changing receptors sometimes may result in a second allele (chromosome) producing a second antibody protein, he found. Wilson revealed ...
Read more : B cells | Views : 929 | Replies : 1

Immune System Brakes

Immune system 'brakes' found

Scientists say they have learnt how the body controls the machinery it uses to fight infections and foreign invaders.

The advance, published in the journal Nature, may one day help find ways to tackle unwanted immune reactions following transplant surgery.

The Johns Hopkins University researchers say a protein molecule called carabin may be the body's way of restraining its defences.

The US-based team describes it as a 'built-in timer' for ...
Read more : Immune System Brakes | Views : 1143 | Replies : 2

Depression

Depression and insomnia are 2 of the wonderful side effects of my MS. Last night i couldnt sleep, so i take a little ambien to get me down. . i get a good 8 (waking up once or twice) - ambien does give me a side effect of making me a little more grouchy and depressed (not as bad as if i didnt get any sleep - lesser of 2 evils). I need to shake ...
Read more : Depression | Views : 2561 | Replies : 13

MS is not an immune system dysfunction, but disease of BBB?

If you don’t like conspiracy theories or half baked ideas, you can stop reading now, its long. However, if you enjoy to pick the threads from a poorly made suit, read on, I welcome the exchange.

Two points to start with:
1. Now, PRECEED EVERY SENTENCE WITH A "MAYBE", "POSSIBLY" or finish it with a "?" (as appropriate)
2. Read point 1 again.

* The BBB is in simple terms, the walls of capillaries http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/B/blood-brain_barrier.html ...
Read more : MS is not an immune system dysfunction, but disease of BBB? | Views : 4184 | Replies : 34

Relevance of anti-myelin antibodies in Multiple Sclerosis

Woah, a big document with lots of pages (80 in english then 80 in flamish ie dutch)
https://dare.ubvu.vu.nl/bitstream/1871/9249/1/Breij_dissertation.pdf

I havent read it yet (its long) but it looks really interesting.

Houdoe en bedankt.
Read more : Relevance of anti-myelin antibodies in Multiple Sclerosis | Views : 1106 | Replies : 1

1993 Kurtzke paper "Multiple Sclerosis as an Infection&

It seems to me that Dr Kurtzke has done more than anyone in generating and compiling MS data and trying to arrange it in a way as to make sense of a historically nonsensible situation.

Even though this paper is dated (1993) and the data used is even more dated, it seems to me that anyone affected with MS should take the time to read this one, if for no better reason than to gain ...
Read more : 1993 Kurtzke paper "Multiple Sclerosis as an Infection& | Views : 1037 | Replies : 0

Genetics

Interesting genetics of MS study. I expect Bromley might have something to say about this as I think part of his personal team of world-leading neurologists is involved...

A second major histocompatibility complex susceptibility locus for multiple sclerosis.

Ann Neurol. 2007 Jan 24;
Yeo TW, De Jager PL, Gregory SG, Barcellos LF, Walton A, Goris A, Fenoglio C, Ban M, Taylor CJ, Goodman RS, Walsh E, Wolfish CS, Horton R, Traherne ...
Read more : Genetics | Views : 1148 | Replies : 3

Antibodies to myelin

Antibodies to Myelin Don't Signal MS

By Neil Osterweil, Senior Associate Editor, MedPage Today
Reviewed by Rubeen K. Israni, M.D., Fellow, Renal-Electrolyte and Hypertension Division, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
January 24, 2007

Basel, Switzerland, Jan. 24 -- Contrary to a previous report, the presence in the blood of two types of antibodies to myelin is not diagnostic of multiple sclerosis, investigators here reported.

Nor does the presence of the antibodies indicate a risk ...
Read more : Antibodies to myelin | Views : 4575 | Replies : 39

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 227060 • Total topics 23943 • Total members 15218

Contact us | Terms of Service