It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Paralysed rat

This is the NMSS article on the paralysed rat research that I posted earlier this week.

Ian

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Resear ... June22.asp
Read more : Paralysed rat | Views : 822 | Replies : 0

Vit D - one for Jimmylegs

Jimmylegs,

Research on Vit D. Now I don't want to hear anymore about bloody Vit D.

Jimmylegs is off to Western Australia for six months where temperatures can hit 110F. Have a nice time.

Ian

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... nd_ms.html
Read more : Vit D - one for Jimmylegs | Views : 1224 | Replies : 4

Is a treatment working?

I really like the Canadian MS Society website's 'Ask the Expert' section.

Today's question and answer may be of interest:

Q :
How do we know if the disease-modifying drug is working? I had a major relapse while on, and am still on, mine and questions have arisen whether the drug is actually doing something or the relapse would have been worse if i had not been using the injectable.

A :
This is an ...
Read more : Is a treatment working? | Views : 1080 | Replies : 1

IL-17 role in MS further clarified

Looks as though we all owe interferon-gamma a bit of an apology...and IL-17 is coming right off my Christmas card list...

IL-17 Plays an Important Role in the Development of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis.

J Immunol. 2006 Jul 1;177(1):566-73.
Komiyama Y, Nakae S, Matsuki T, Nambu A, Ishigame H, Kakuta S, Sudo K, Iwakura Y.
Center for Experimental Medicine, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.

IL-17 is a proinflammatory cytokine that activates T ...
Read more : IL-17 role in MS further clarified | Views : 915 | Replies : 0

Paralysed rat

Normally I would put this under stem cells but an interesting read. Interesting that they may trial on pigs before humans. You'd think they could come up with a pig model of MS. As usual the good times are five years away - but a little bit of progress is better than none.

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j562399231&w=464753
Read more : Paralysed rat | Views : 868 | Replies : 0

depression

can anyone let me know if they take anything that helps there mood. i am going to my neuro this week and need some help. i feel like i am falling into a hole. there does'nt seem to be anything to help the ms so at least i hope there is something to brighten my mood. if there is a drug that you feel really helps i would much appreciate the name of the it ...
Read more : depression | Views : 2508 | Replies : 16

when does an attack 'end'?

hey all.

so my attack started on january 23rd/24th, and got worse and worse until january 29th. then the long slow climb back started.

here we are june 19, and although i have seen TONS of progress, the curve has really started to flatten out. so how do you know when the attack "ends"? can attacks be months or even a year long?

if this is me 'between attacks', i think it's starting to make ...
Read more : when does an attack 'end'? | Views : 1681 | Replies : 9

(Others) Thoughts on different MS (RR & SP)

The following link had the following explanation, which i personally hadnt read before, and it made sense to me for the progression from RR to SP. dont know if it is still scientifically valid (if it ever was....)
The authors, Prof Compston and Coles of Cambridge, UK, concluded that axons were withering (transecting) due to a loss of trophic support from oligodendrocytes even in the absence of inflammation. ‘Trophic support’ describes the process whereby oligodendrocytes ...
Read more : (Others) Thoughts on different MS (RR & SP) | Views : 1232 | Replies : 3

Measuring re-myelination

If they ever figure out how to encourage re-myelination, they will need ways of measuring it.

Some progress being made on the measuring side:

<shortened url>

Ian
Read more : Measuring re-myelination | Views : 901 | Replies : 0

Currently going through stem cell transplant

Hello everyone, I am currently in the middle of my stem cell transplant for MS in Ottowa Canada. I currently have a hickman line attached and have been through the first cemo sessions along with the Neupagen shots for my collection. I am currently waiting for my final cemo and the reinsertion of my stem cells which will start in July. My strenghth is almost at my baseline again and I will try to respond ...
Read more : Currently going through stem cell transplant | Views : 1472 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220787 • Total topics 22876 • Total members 14447

Contact us | Terms of Service