It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:09 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Easy Fatigue after Spinal Tap?

I'm a 20 year old guy who is(was?) also an athlete. Recently after a bout with optic neuritis after MRIs and such I was given a spinal tap, the results of which came out fine. After a week being layed up with the positional headache I started to out and try to do my thing, which is running. I noticed I couldn't go as far or as fast as before my tap but I wrote ...
Read more : Easy Fatigue after Spinal Tap? | Views : 3087 | Replies : 12

Lyme disease bacterium resembles myelin

I thought it was reasonably interesting to discover that this bacterial antigen is so similar to myelin that it can trigger an autoimmune response if you become infected with it. However, it becomes a bit more interesting when you realise that this bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi, is the agent which causes Lyme disease.

Hypothesized role of galactocerebroside and NKT cells in the etiology of multiple sclerosis.

Med Hypotheses. 2007 Sep 20;

Authors: Blewett MM

According to ...
Read more : Lyme disease bacterium resembles myelin | Views : 2783 | Replies : 4

New presentation hosted by DIRECT-MS on October 3, 2007

DIRECT-MS is pleased to announce another lecture entitled The Paleo Diet For Multiple Sclerosis and other Autoimmune Diseases. The presentation is by Dr. Loren Cordain and will take place on October 03, 2007 in Calgary at the Best Western Village Park Inn (1804 Crowchild Trail NW) at 7 PM.

Dr Cordain of Colorado State University will explain how returning to a diet based on lean meats, seafood, fruits and vegetables can prevent and help treat ...
Read more : New presentation hosted by DIRECT-MS on October 3, 2007 | Views : 1679 | Replies : 2

Understanding cancer process may benefit MS

This may be of interest to Wesley because, although the focus is primarily on cancer, the flip side of the same process seems to have implications for MS. Tryptophan has also been discussed on this forum, (I'm sure somebody said Turkey is a good source):

wfrommer@stanford.edu
650-325-1521 x208
Carnegie Institution

Scientists discover how cancer may take hold
Stanford, CA-- A team, led by researchers at the Carnegie ...
Read more : Understanding cancer process may benefit MS | Views : 1425 | Replies : 1

Results of Mitoxantrone study

I'm having a bit of a brain fog today, which might explain why I can't see any clear conclusion from these figures. 52 of the participants followed up with other disease modifying drugs, so wouldn't it be pertinent to be able to compare results with people who took those same drugs without Mitoxantrone?

Emmanuelle Le Page 1*, Emmanuelle Leray 1, Grégory Taurin 1, Marc Coustans 1, Jacques Chaperon 2, Sean Patrick Morrissey 2 and Gilles ...
Read more : Results of Mitoxantrone study | Views : 1550 | Replies : 2

Industry / academia collaboration

Biogen and Johns Hopkins are collaborating. Seems a good idea (please don't mention to Harry Z)

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j11 ... 5&w=464753
Read more : Industry / academia collaboration | Views : 1797 | Replies : 5

New imaging

New imaging techniques can only be good news.

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j11 ... 2&w=464753
Read more : New imaging | Views : 1462 | Replies : 1

Hygiene hypothesis

Summary of an article from Science Direct. I thought at least Bob might be interested in it.

Hygiene hypothesis: Innate immunity, malaria and multiple sclerosis

Received 9 October 2006; accepted 10 October 2006. Available online 21 September 2007.

Summary

The establishment of new hygienic conditions plays a role in the appearance of autoimmunity in “westernalised” countries. Consistently, but still unconvincingly, several epidemiological and immunogenetic evidences link the disappearance of malaria with the increase of ...
Read more : Hygiene hypothesis | Views : 1310 | Replies : 0

Optic Neuritis Help anyone....??

I know that I have seen this type of post before, but I wanted to put this out there again. My ON is really bad now and one of the worst symptoms I have lately. I have been wearing dark glasses inside because I am very light sensitive and it halps mask the vision defects from the ON. I am getting to the point where I will have serious problems going about my day if ...
Read more : Optic Neuritis Help anyone....?? | Views : 2244 | Replies : 4

Site(s) that explain the theories? Myelin Damage?

I'm googling and searching sites and goggling more. I've used the JI search engine (a good one) and I'm not finding this.

Does anyone know where to find this?

I want to find a list of all the theories of how the myelin comes to be damaged. Obviously we don't know what does the damage, but what are the theories?

I'm specifically interested in how undamaged myelin that's sitting around in the brain minding it's ...
Read more : Site(s) that explain the theories? Myelin Damage? | Views : 1726 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 234319 • Total topics 25197 • Total members 16415

Contact us | Terms of Service