It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:36 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Comparing Medical Doctors in the UK and the US..........

...................with special reference to one in particular.

It occurred to me, with reference to this thread: http://thisisms.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 (this brings you to page 2) that most people using this forum are going to be more familiar with the American certification of medical doctors and won't necessarily know much about the English one. This could inadvertently lead to some misunderstandings.

The English equivalent of an MD is MB ChB (bachelor of medicine, bachelor of chirurgery ). This ...
Read more : Comparing Medical Doctors in the UK and the US.......... | Views : 764 | Replies : 0

Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start MS

Here's another article outlining EBVs possible influence on MS. With an illustration!

May 01, 2006
Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start Multiple Sclerosis

Researchers have found that patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) carry a population of immune cells that overreact to Epstein-Barr virus. The virus, which causes mononucleosis and may contribute to some cancers, has long been suspected to play a role in MS. However, the mechanism linking the virus to the disease was poorly understood.

Scientists ...
Read more : Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start MS | Views : 4587 | Replies : 16

Benign

The term benign MS has always concerned me - if it was so benign then why would someone go to the doctor in the first place?

Physical disability for a young adult would always be difficult to cope with, but what really annoys me with this disease is the added bonus (risk of) of cognitive dysfunction. It's like - design your worse nightmare of a disease and then throw in something even worse on top. ...
Read more : Benign | Views : 994 | Replies : 2

MS and Lyme

Read more : MS and Lyme | Views : 1217 | Replies : 1

Smoking

This sort of research really annoys me as someone who never smoked.

Smoking Increases Risk of Multiple Sclerosis -Study

Smokers are up to three times as likely to develop multiple sclerosis than nonsmokers, according to researchers.

Researchers at the University of Bergen in Norway and Harvard University in Massachusetts surveyed 22,000 people aged 40 to 47 from 1997 to 1999 and found the risk of developing multiple sclerosis nearly three times higher for men ...
Read more : Smoking | Views : 1272 | Replies : 4

future help with walking

Homemade walking aid tackles MS

A scientist whose wife has multiple sclerosis has developed a walking aid that has been shortlisted for an award. Ken Armitage and wife Anne were trying to reach a pub on Dartmoor in time for a cream tea. Mr Armitage improvised using his rucksack and a bungee strap, and the couple made it in time for tea.

His MuSmate walking aid was in line for a best new product ...
Read more : future help with walking | Views : 1304 | Replies : 1

Fluo something or other

Read more : Fluo something or other | Views : 1346 | Replies : 6

Avonex v/s Copaxone in SPMS

I've been Googling all day. I'm not finding much. If you can point me in the right direction, I'd love to have some links. Our Neuro is recommending getting off Avonex and onto Copaxone and maybe adding Novantrone. Right now I'm mainly interested in trying to weigh Avonex v/s Copaxone. I'm not interested in side effects, the goal is walking. Problem is Secondary Progressive MS.

Here's what I've found so far:

1) Avonex is generally ...
Read more : Avonex v/s Copaxone in SPMS | Views : 1675 | Replies : 4

12 tesla MRI

I guess this will help with MS research.

OHSU Joins The NIH In Obtaining A "two-of-a-kind" MRI Magnet

27 Apr 2006 - As OHSU's new Advanced Imaging Research Center (AIRC) continues its expansion, the major component of the final, and most unique instrument for the world-class facility has arrived. On Saturday, April 22, the AIRC took delivery of a 12Tesla (T) magnet, the centerpiece of a rare and cutting-edge MRI system.

"This state-of-the-art 12T system ...
Read more : 12 tesla MRI | Views : 2848 | Replies : 12

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219961 • Total topics 22743 • Total members 14346

Contact us | Terms of Service